New Commit: Rodrick Williams, RB, Lewisville (TX)

CrocShots

Not Minnesota Nice
Reaction score
GI.com has confirmed that Lewisville (Texas) running back Rodrick Williams has committed to the #Minnesota #Gophers.

Scout and Rivals page not worth posting.

Anyone else find any info?His 8 second youtube clip doesn't show much...

Edit: I guess he committed last week and no one reported it... More to come according to O'Connell

Scott Ekpe's teammate from Lewisville. Interesting pickup, very little info on him.

2nd team All-district Fullback

8-5A large school. Epke was 2nd team DT

Very curious. I'll trust Kill and crew and their analysis.

I started looking at Lewisville on Rivals thinking that they may be working down the line for something in the future. The 2013 class lists only Hendrick Ekpe (I'm assuming Scott's brother) 6'4" 235 lb, playing DE right now. and in 2014 there is Jamal Adams, a 6'0" 175 lb DB. 2015 shows nothing on Rivals.

Lewisville is suburban Dallas, a bit east of Plano and slightly north. Maybe they're trying to establish a foothold in that area.

4.8 yards a carry
6 touchdowns in a little over 100 touches
caught 15 passes
2nd team all district as a junior...big schools
220 pound back that runs a 4.5 and the coaches compare him to Brandon Jacobs...what's not to like?

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way that he runs a 4.5 forty. Not even close.

There are running backs with a lot more upside considering us at this point and hopefully we did not just rule out taking two of them on with this commit.

In the above article he says that Kill told him he was "the best they've seen" as far as the big backs go. Doesn't seem like a phrase a man like Kill would throw around lightly. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see. Maybe Kill will turn out to be one of those guys who can pull diamonds out of the rough. Though, it seems like the "system" might be what's most important to Kill. Considering it's his first season (and that he's the only coach we've got) I'm willing to trust Kill to recruit the guys that are best for his system, even if they aren't major recruits. The guy guy says he was being recruited by Iowa and K-State too, so it's not like he's a total unknown. It'll be cool to have a real bruiser in the backfield if the kid pans out.

Iowa and K-State were recruiting this kid pretty hard according to the article so it's not like Kill went down there and offered a kid who only had a handful of D-2 schools looking at him. At the very least, with his size and a little more time with Klein, he could be a very intriguing defensive side of the ball prospect if he does fall behind on the RB depth chart after a year or two up here.

What does this mean for the recruitment of Rashad Cohen?

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way that he runs a 4.5 forty. Not even close.

There are running backs with a lot more upside considering us at this point and hopefully we did not just rule out taking two of them on with this commit.

Like who?

I noticed this offer awhile back and was curious about it. Williams seemed like the one "under the radar" back with an offer, all others were top ranked longshot types.

The one thing I took from reading on Ekpe is that the coach at Lewisville is a very respected and successful one down there, and has put out some good players in the past. It seemed like Kill respected his opinion on Ekpe, i'm sure the same is true of Williams.

5'11 220, he looks bigger in his videos and I wouldn't say he's much over a 4.6-4.7, in the 2 videos he's got burst once he hits daylight, and he's playing good competition.

Kill certainly likes/knows how to use big backs, it would be cool to see this kid at 245 behind our future lines.

Welcome aboard!

I love the fact that we are still bemoaning Kill offers and commits. The man has a plan, and the all the whining here will not deter him. Not every position player (including RBs) is being recruited for the same role on the team.

I love the fact that we are still bemoaning Kill offers and commits. The man has a plan, and the all the whining here will not deter him. Not every position player (including RBs) is being recruited for the same role on the team.

What? Do you mean to say the GopherHole commentors do NOT know more about who to recruit than Coach Kill and his Staff? I find that hard to believe.

What? Do you mean to say the GopherHole commentors do NOT know more about who to recruit than Coach Kill and his Staff? I find that hard to believe.

It will be interesting to see what the chicken littles do when the recruiting databases get around to evaluating our unranked prospects, I'm expecting silence.

The kid is big, can move and catch. i love texas football players.

Welcome to Gold Country Rodrick!

we look forward to watching you crush 'em on Saturdays !

Don - This seals the deal for 3M man

I am sure our resident expert on recruiting wasn't contacted by coach Kill before he offered Williams a scholarship. As a result this will be the worst recruiting class ever! Williams will for sure will join 3M's infamous list of 2012 recruits that will never see any playing time.

Kill doesn't like star ratings, and he doesn't recruit them. He recruits to his system. He's said as such (I believe during his introductory presser).

Welcome to Gopher Nation Rodrick!!

"I really wanted to make sure I was fully ready to commit. After doing a lot of research on line and talking to the coaches I cezanne very comfortable with Minnesota and the direction of the program. At that point choosing Minnesota was easy."

Thats a direct quote from Rodrick Williams in the GI article about his committment. Something tells me he didnt say that seeing as cezanne isn't a word. That's some incredible editing. If your writing this story and have a quote from Rodrick how do you even come up that combination of letters. You would think a writer would have a better grasp on the english language.

"I really wanted to make sure I was fully ready to commit. After doing a lot of research on line and talking to the coaches I cezanne very comfortable with Minnesota and the direction of the program. At that point choosing Minnesota was easy."

Thats a direct quote from Rodrick Williams in the GI article about his committment. Something tells me he didnt say that seeing as cezanne isn't a word. That's some incredible editing. If your writing this story and have a quote from Rodrick how do you even come up that combination of letters. You would think a writer would have a better grasp on the english language.

You're :)

Maybe the author had written a paper on art, got tired of seeing the red squiggly lines under Cezanne's name throughout and added the word to the dictionary?

Perhaps he had been doing his Art History homework and the name of famous 19th century French Post-Impressionist painter Paul Cézanne slipped out? The question is why it wasn't capitalized...

What does this mean for the recruitment of Rashad Cohen?

He'll be the thunder to Rashad Cohen's lightening.

But now, he is a pretty big kid who looks like he can move. Those aren't the easiest traits to find. Like i've said earlier, until I get reason not to, I will trust that the staff knows what they are doing.

Another thing to keep in mind is that his HS coach has a long tradition of sending kids to college. He doesn't get where he is without being honest about his players. Sometimes a coach who rarely gets a kid a D1 scholarship will exaggerate how good that player is. However, guys like Williams coach aren't in the sales business.

What I mean is this: The Cretin coaches always talk about being honest about their players because it definitely will help out their players. For instance, if they were to tell every college coach who came along how great every player is, those praises wouldn't come with much behind them. I know Mottla on the Gophers was a guy who really wasn't on our radar and the Cretin staff called Brew and said they think he will be able to help out, because the Cretin staff is honest about their players this endorsement meant something.

Top Bottom