New Commit - Cedric Dickie

Winona Gopher

Reaction score
LB from Cannon Falls. Was retweeted by Ryan James a few minutes ago.

Thoughts?

Correction last name is Dicke

Dicke is a preferred walk-on. (Posted about him in the "January visits"). He had some DII offers, is a multi-sport athlete, and was getting some FCS attention, so this is an ideal walk-on if true.

Dicke is a preferred walk-on. (Posted about him in the "January visits"). He had some DII offers, is a multi-sport athlete, and was getting some FCS attention, so this is an ideal walk-on if true.

Could be, the original tweet is from Minnesota Fury an AAU organization.

Here is what the tweet says: mnfuryboys Minnesota Fury
Congrats to MN Fury Alum Cedric Dicke from Cannon Falls for accepting an offer to the U of Minnesota to play football for the Gophers!

preffered walk-on would be great for a kid like this. It's always good to get the kids who buy-in and walk on to a program, love it if that's the way this is.

Nice, welcome aboard Cedric!!

Welcome Cedric! Way to stay home! I'd never turn down an athletic, homegrown walk-on.

Just wondering, does anyone have a clue as to roughly about what percent of preferred walk-ons end up getting scholarships? Just curious.

I see him as that guy when the other team kicking field goals you have hurdle the line and block the kick.

Are we still in the running for Jake Butt? They could be a nice combo ;-)

Yes, I hear when going up agaisnt Butt, offensive lineman allow penetration, this allows the running back to run through all the big holes. This is where Dicke comes in to fill those holes.

This is a nice pick-up as a preferred walk-on. Hopefully several more (Moritko, Pierce, Michaelson, etc.) will follow.

This is a nice pick-up as a preferred walk-on. Hopefully several more (Moritko, Pierce, Michaelson, etc.) will follow.

Michaelson has already said he will not be a preferred walk-on. I'm not looking at Pierce's Rivals profile right now, so I don't know how many offers he has, but I remember he said he had at least a few FCS offers plus an offer from Wyoming. Moritko would be huge. Go get 'em Kill!

This is terrific news!

Welcome aboard Cedric, hopefully in a couple years you earn that scholarship.

Welcome Cedric! Way to stay home! I'd never turn down an athletic, homegrown walk-on.

Just wondering, does anyone have a clue as to roughly about what percent of preferred walk-ons end up getting scholarships? Just curious.
Anyone have an answer for RoyalGopher? I am curious as well!

I believe this is the first resident of my hometown to play football for the Minnesota Gophers! He's been putting up some huge numbers on the basketball court this winter.

Congrats Cedric! You have done the Bombers proud!

A small handful. With 85 available scholarships and 5-10 preferred walk ons per year in addition to the scholarship players, maybe 2-3 per year end up with a scholarship and often they are 1 year deals. Say a guy leaves the program and a scholarship opens up for a semester (I think they can go by semester) or you end up with short scholly numbers for whatever reason for a season and you give a guy a scholarship for a year.

A small handful. With 85 available scholarships and 5-10 preferred walk ons per year in addition to the scholarship players, maybe 2-3 per year end up with a scholarship and often they are 1 year deals. Say a guy leaves the program and a scholarship opens up for a semester (I think they can go by semester) or you end up with short scholly numbers for whatever reason for a season and you give a guy a scholarship for a year.

Love getting good looking walk ons like this. There's alot of good football/athletes down in SE MN IMO.

Kill may very well be in position to give out more schollies to walk ons in the coming years than normal if he decides to. Attrition and an open competition for many positions gives any walk on a good shot at least.

Dicke looks the part, I'm hoping a few of these tall athlete types end up at DE, that's a position we really need to upgrade athletically and FINALLY get a handful of guys that can run down a QB and get some pressure.

Rivals has him down as a commit and not a preferred walk-on. Misprint or not?

Top Bottom