New Bracketology Out

Good to see us still with such a high seed. There's clearly a measure of projecting and not 'if it today was Selection Sunday' being done by Linardi. There's no current justification for having Northwestern out and MN and Illinois in.

Gopher's assistant Esposito twittered that Lunardi ( I'm assuming that's the one ) did radio for St. Joe's. Maybe he was impressed. :)

Nice win vs St. Joes Joe Lanardi was at game doing radio for St Joes. Should help us.

#6 seed is being generous

Great to have Joey Brackets back in the conversation.

Obviously Lunardi was impressed by the Gophers from his first-row upper-deck perch at Williams Arena. It was clearly the Gophers' best performance this season. That's the only reason I can come up with as to why he has the Gophers that high (a #6 seed). Even projecting out the season, I haven't seen enough from the Gophers to think they'll do enough (in the Big 10 season) to warrant a #6 seed. At this point I'd be thrilled if they sneak in as one of the final at-larges, like Wisconsin did last season.

Even projecting out the season, I haven't seen enough from the Gophers to think they'll do enough (in the Big 10 season) to warrant a #6 seed. At this point I'd be thrilled if they sneak in as one of the final at-larges, like Wisconsin did last season.

SS - Lunardi projects the Big 10 getting six bids this year, for no other reason than some of the bad non con losses the B10 has had, do you see us getting six or five?

"Do you see us getting six or five?"

At this point I think 5 is much more likely than 6 (stay tuned for my first "Field of 65" projection on Dec. 28th). Projecting out (the way Lunardi is doing it, I project based on what teams have done up to that point), I'd say Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin are the 5 most likely to make it. I think OSU will stay above water until Turner's return.

The Gophers, Northwestern and Michigan (in that order) would be next.

"Do you see us getting six or five?"

At this point I think 5 is much more likely than 6 (stay tuned for my first "Field of 65" projection on Dec. 28th). Projecting out (the way Lunardi is doing it, I project based on what teams have done up to that point), I'd say Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin are the 5 most likely to make it. I think OSU will stay above water until Turner's return.

The Gophers, Northwestern and Michigan (in that order) would be next.

I think the Big 10 will get a minimum of 6 unless multiple teams simply collapse. The Pac 10 getting 3 at most frees up some spots. The ACC's not going to overwhelm anyone with thier 5-8 candidates and niether is the SEC.

6 (or more) from the Big 10 is always a possibility, and I agree that the Pac 10's struggles will open up some extra bids. But if there's one conference that will benefit the most from the Pac 10's woes, I think it'll be the A-10. I'm seeing a minimum of 3 bids (and maybe 4-5) for the A-10. Dayton, Rhode Island, Richmond and Temple have already positioned themselves nicely, and I wouldn't count out Xavier, Charlotte and LaSalle (in that order) if they have strong A-10 seasons.

The other thing to remember is, last year was a really weak year for non-BCS leagues. There just weren't that many viable at-large candidates; not many of 'em did much outside of their leagues. This year that doesn't appear to be the case. In addition to the A-10, the Colonial (ODU, VCU, William & Mary), Conference USA (Memphis, Tulsa), Missouri Valley (Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Wichita State), Mountain West (BYU, New Mexico, San Diego State, UNLV) and WCC (Gonzaga, Portland, St. Mary's) all appear capable of receiving more bids than last season.

6 or more is always a possibilty but some of the losses the Big Ten have taken so far out of conference have been shocking. Once conference play starts we'll start taking turns beating up on each other. I just don't see how, at least the Gophers, can enhance their resume, without beating Michigan St/Purdue or both this year. Maybe things will turn around but I think 5 is much more likely this year.

Portland was the key game.

If they win that game, a loss to WVU is expected, and not held against us. Then the subsequent loss to Miami could have been spun as a hangover from the busy weekend of games and having to travel down to So. Fla. And lets forget about the W-L for a minute, just playing WVU even in a loss would have helped our RPI and SOS more than A&M.

Instead of maybe one loss that looks bad and still a place in the top 25 - we now have three, and they have to be made back up in conference play with 1 (road) or 2 (home) wins over the top eschelon in the BT.

I'm disappointed with Joe's first bracket, although I know this one must be terribly hard. While I am okay with Purdue getting a 2 seed, the fact that they are in the region with the #1 overall makes no sense to me. Also, a team Purdue beat, Tennessee, is a 2 seed in the region with the weakest #1, Syracuse. Okay...

I love bracketology,....I like just looking at the potential matchups....please don't put us with Northern Iowa, let us play Cornell in the other region....

Top Bottom