New Associate Athletics Director and CFO

Prado89

Reaction score
I'm just wondering. It is somewhat important position in Athletic Department. I hope he is a shrewd CFO.

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/21/mcginnis-appointed-associate-athletic-director-cfo

As the assistant athletics director of administration and human resources, Tom McGinnis oversees all human resources functions for the department, including policy development, payroll, staff recruitment, orientation, development and personnel budgets. He also serves as the administrator for the OSU Ice Rink, equipment and information technology and assists in the game-day operations for football.

McGinnis was hired as the assistant business manager for Human Resources and Administration in November of 2004 before being promoted to his current role in February of 2006.

McGinnis' time with the Ohio State Department of Athletics extends back to 1997 when he was a graduate assistant for event management. After two years, he was named the assistant director of events and ticketing in 1999, where he worked until 2001. From 2001 to 2004, McGinnis was the director of event management and facility scheduling.

McGinnis received his bachelor of science degree in kinesiology with a concentration in sport marketing and management from Indiana in 1997. He then earned his master's degree in sport management from Ohio State in 1999.

He currently resides in Westerville with his wife Heather and their sons Brandon and Tyler.

from OSU website

He was at O$U? Should be great at finances then :)

He might be...then again it may be a bit of a shock when he sees a budget with a much smaller revenue stream coming from the football team.

I was more referencing the ability to get .. ahem .. "secondary" funding, but that works too.

Don't get too excited, I believe this is a Maturi hire.

Is this a sign that Maturi isn't getting canned, that he gets to hire a position in his department? Otherwise, couldn't this position have just been kept open until a new AD gets hired this summer?

As always MV has a great take on this. His entire blog entry is really insightful but I'm quoting the conclusions part here. Hopefully the next 9 months see a lot of big and successful changes.

this hire could signal a more significant department direction at the expiration of Maturi's contract next June. It's a terribly kept secret at this point, but Joel Maturi will not be back as athletic director for the 2012-2013 season nor will he receive a contract extension. As Joel is already a lame duck, the U had to provided McGinnis with some overtures about the direction of department and what the power structure would eventually be. It's pure speculation on my part, but hiring an individual with such a strong administrative and financial background like McGinnis away from a rival Big Ten department signals that 1) the U gave McGinnis significant assurances of job security, regardless of the next athletic director and 2) that the U intends to go in a very different direction with the next AD, someone who is not a number cruncher (essentially McGinnis' job) but a more charismatic front man, CEO type that will help with the department needs most: someone to promote and increase the visibility of all U sports, specifically football and men's basketball and hockey. Said individual would also seek to fix one of the largest and most challenging issues within the department compared to other Big Ten schools, that of the lagging donations and giving which significantly trail the rest of the B1G. Most importantly, the next AD will need to work closely with his three major coaches and President Kaler to foster the best possible environment -- one that removes institutional barriers to success -- for revenue sport success.

Rest assured, this is one of several rumored changes coming down the pipe over at Bierman. The next 9 months will be rather interesting in that regard.

I have high hopes that all these changes that are coming with the impending departure of Mautri, and a new CFO taking over will help lead the athletic department in a new direction. There needs to be a serious change of focus over in the Bierman building and hopefully that is what the new leadership will bring.

Of course as with everything else we are stuck with the unknown. Let's just hope the new president makes the right hire for his AD and that person has the guts to make some unpopular decisions for the good of the department. First and foremost should be the elimination of a few of the fringe sports in order to better support the ones that have a shot at generating revenue.

This is really good news. MV basically says it's a replacement for Maturi's bean counting at the associate AD level, paving the way for some sort of CEO type HOPEFULLY with some balls and energy to rally the locals and the fan base.

The only downside to this is Maturi will shrink away quietly this summer.

I think after all the pain and damage he's caused, Kaler owes a sacrificial lamb to the slaughter AKA a high profile and well documented Donald Trumplike bully, "your fired" /slam the door on his face/security gives him 15 minutes to pack up/Lane Kiffin exits Tennessee-esque press conference on TCF Bank 50 ayrd line/Maturi races to the airport under police protection and back to Madison where he can be properly embraced and thanked by Alvarez for kamakazeeing the U to utter ground zero.

Does anyone else wonder if he was actually hired to replace Maturi in June? Basically gets 7 months or so on the job training...

Does anyone else wonder if he was actually hired to replace Maturi in June? Basically gets 7 months or so on the job training...

If they're doing that then they're possibly making a mistake. We don't need an AD who can balance the budget. We need an AD who can get donors to open their wallets and purses.

If they're doing that then they're possibly making a mistake. We don't need an AD who can balance the budget. We need an AD who can get donors to open their wallets and purses.

I am tending to agree with MV.

The McGinnis hiring is a sign that Kaler is serious about getting a CEO type AD that has a strong numbers guy behind him or her.

and knows a little something about sports and how to win as well. that is what maturi is missing the goods in my opinion. just saying! :)

Top Bottom