New Anthony Leon Highlight Video

grunkiejr

Mentor to 007
Reaction score
The Gophers are recruiting Anthony Leon to play the hybrid WLB/SS position that we recruited Simoni Lawrence for last season. He is a friend of Big Play Traye.

He is visiting USC this weekend and makes his way to Minnesota for the December 12 weekend.

I used this quote on the Michael Carter thread but here it is again...Tim Brewser: "I want to be recruiting against Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban those guys are the best of the best. Let's throw down head-to-head for a recruit and see who wins." I love that attitude. I want to strap a helmet on and run through a wall.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-rq5olhNY

Make sure you stay long enough to see his jump to block a field goal at the 4:00 mark. It's absolutely sick. His vertical is 42".

Leon Offers

He be layin the wood

By the way,does he actually have a usc offer?

Rivals is reporting that he has offers from Minnesota, California, and Oregon and they list Miami and USC as recruiting him. So no, not currently, it may come during his visit or it may not come at all.

Is it Southern Cal or South Carolina, since both of their abbreviations are USC and it cause for confusion for myself sometimes.

have always liked him as a better version of brock. could now be my most wanted recruit!

Is it Southern Cal or South Carolina, since both of their abbreviations are USC and it cause for confusion for myself sometimes.

Good point and I didn't look at it initially. However, it is USC as in Southern Cal. He goes to Juco in California.

We are competing with the other USC for Taikwon Paige from a Georgia Juco. Paige is originally from Aiken, SC. Brew visited his parents in Aiken on Monday and then drove to meet with Taikwon in Georgia on Tuesday. I think Leon and Paige will both be here on Dec. 12.

Wow...talk about laying some hits!!! This is the kind of secondary player that will intimidate the other team's players and fire up his own because of his hitting ability. Almost all his hits and tackles on this film are of the "umph" variety.

And he looks like he has some monster jumping ability to go along with being the biggest safety I have probably ever seen. I doubt that we've recruited a secondary player like him in at least 20 years. Having said all that, there's a difference between having great film and it translating into great play at the collegiate level.

Nevertheless, he certainly looks like the real deal...now..we have to go and get him!!!;)

Um...is that Drew Rosenhouse in the first picture shown? Looks like he starts pretty early on clients. Hopefully if we get this guy he doesn't have a Rosenhouse-client type attitude.

Wow...talk about laying some hits!!! This is the kind of secondary player that will intimidate the other team's players and fire up his own because of his hitting ability. Almost all his hits and tackles on this film are of the "umph" variety.

And he looks like he has some monster jumping ability to go along with being the biggest safety I have probably ever seen. I doubt that we've recruited a secondary player like him in at least 20 years. Having said all that, there's a difference between having great film and it translating into great play at the collegiate level.

Nevertheless, he certainly looks like the real deal...now..we have to go and get him!!!;)

He is 230 lbs and projects as a LB if he comes here next year. They want to make him the next Simoni Lawrence in that he'll play LB but can run with a slot receiver. It is a defensive philosophy designed for playing against a spread offense and playing in space.

Um...is that Drew Rosenhouse in the first picture shown? Looks like he starts pretty early on clients. Hopefully if we get this guy he doesn't have a Rosenhouse-client type attitude.

The first picture is of Sean Taylor on draft day. My guess is that Leon had some connection with Taylor since in that video he lists Taylor as one of the people the video is dedicated to.

Outstanding pursuit and instincts. He accellerates to deliver the "statement" shot prior to the ball carrier ducking out of bounds, or to finish off a play. Above average power and athleticism(maybe a little stiff in space). Has a impressive frame and with lots of gym/training time could morph into a Shawn Merriman type athelete.
I think he is a top priority for the staff who has a real opportunity to start next year while Maresh and co develop behind him.

Going along with what Grunkie said earlier,

I would think his skill set is perfect for the Lawrence position. I'm not sure if he's as fast as Simoni, but he is quite a bit bigger and is already a pretty good tackler. He also looks he could be a beast on the blitz and as the film shows, loves to be physical.

In other words, I think he'd be a great potential get.

Sean Taylor is Leon's Cousin

The first picture is of Sean Taylor on draft day. My guess is that Leon had some connection with Taylor since in that video he lists Taylor as one of the people the video is dedicated to.

Yes, Sean Taylor is Anthony Leon's cousin. Not a bad blood line...

I would think his skill set is perfect for the Lawrence position.
With Hightower graduating there's also an opening there too.

correct

I think he'd look good on the strong side.

The kick block at the 4:00 mark is damn impressive. Lavar Arrington like.

Not going to be a safety.

Its a highlight video which I never get into but this guy is going to be a LBer. First of all he is huge and athletic but how many of these highlights show him making a play in coverage? We got to see a bunch of tackles which is great but if he is a safety lets see him knocking some passes down, blowing someone up over the middle, or making an INT and going the other way. This guy is a Lawrence clone which isnt bad by any means but he isnt going to be a safety.

Lincoln's been shot!!!

Its a highlight video which I never get into but this guy is going to be a LBer. First of all he is huge and athletic but how many of these highlights show him making a play in coverage? We got to see a bunch of tackles which is great but if he is a safety lets see him knocking some passes down, blowing someone up over the middle, or making an INT and going the other way. This guy is a Lawrence clone which isnt bad by any means but he isnt going to be a safety.

nm

Leon has some academic issues. Everyone wants him if he can get his academics in order and it would be a big get for the Gophers to pick him up.

Leon has some academic issues. Everyone wants him if he can get his academics in order and it would be a big get for the Gophers to pick him up.

Are you serious? He is in a junior college. I think all that he has to do is be able to graduate with an Associates degree. Are you telling me that he can't get through JuCo?

What are they reporting as his interest level in the Gophers? Does he have a visit lined up or any intentions of even visiting? I couldn't find any good info on him?

Coming this weekend

What are they reporting as his interest level in the Gophers? Does he have a visit lined up or any intentions of even visiting? I couldn't find any good info on him?

We are in his final 3. He is a friend of Big Play Traye (they played together last year). He will be on campus this weekend.

Maybe GopherLady can ask Traye what his buddy's thoughts really are after this weekend???

Top Bottom