New Annoying Trend

Football has instant replies so seems rather moronic to try something like it.

Seen a bunch of this in college and HS football and it needs to stop or be penalized. Soccer and basketball cannot infect our great game.

Faking injury has been in football for a long time too. Players "cramping up" at the end of a game to stop the clock, kickers flailing about after being touched to get the roughing call. It doesn't payoff as much as in other sports to fake injury though. Soccer has a tremendous incentive for players to dive since it comes with a high value play. If they would start yellow carding obvious flops it would calm down, I have no idea why it hasn't been implemented. Basketball also has great incentives, free points via free throws and possession are huge.

Faking injury has been in football for a long time too. Players "cramping up" at the end of a game to stop the clock, kickers flailing about after being touched to get the roughing call. It doesn't payoff as much as in other sports to fake injury though. Soccer has a tremendous incentive for players to dive since it comes with a high value play. If they would start yellow carding obvious flops it would calm down, I have no idea why it hasn't been implemented. Basketball also has great incentives, free points via free throws and possession are huge.
I agree. It's unsportsmanlike to flop in all sports. Football players are starting to realize that they can get a cheap 15 yards and a 1st down.

Injury is another issue and if the team wants to take a player out for a play or plan that, no problem. in the NFL they take away timeouts for it or run 10 seconds off/reset play clock to 40 seconds.

Punters do it less because 9/10 times it's only 5 yards and a replay of 4th down. Really need to rough and hit plant leg/foot to get 15 yards.

Don’t use basketball as an example. LaBron’s career would have ended 15 years ago.

Seen a bunch of this in college and HS football and it needs to stop or be penalized. Soccer and basketball cannot infect our great game.

Punters have been doing this for years!

Punters have been doing this for years!
Thing with punters it really is called for almost ANY contact. So that kinda makes sense and I don’t see many phantom calls there.

Is Brad Davison coaching football at Mississippi State?

One would hope after it gets called a few times in big situations, players would realize that the risk isn't worth it.

Just like in hockey when a guy gets a stick to the face and the trainer roughs it up a bit more to draw blood to get a double minor call.

The one silver lining with the soccer flops are the overdubbed sniper fire shots to videos of the guys flopping. Don't know why but it makes me laugh. :)

If I recall, Miss. St. punter put on a good acting job when he was run into by an Illinois player. After he was hit you would have thought the kid suffered a compound fracture. Once he saw the flag was thrown he jumped up, pumped his fists, started clapping, then did that douchey first down arm point. I got a chuckle then when the refs picked up the flag after they determined the Illini player was blocked into him.

Yes, it is an annoying trend. But not as annoying as another new trend...the widespread use on social media of the word "y'all"...especially by middle-aged white women. Doubly-annoying is when I see "all of y'all". What the hell?

Last edited:

Top Bottom