New 2021 Roster--DBs

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
Lot of experience at DB this year. Howden and T. Smith probably get a fifth year because of COVID. But big experience dip in 2022. Lots of opportunity in 2022 for young DBs to take charge; maybe a few from the portal.View attachment 13141

Coney is a good corner and will get the other team’s best receiver. Smith looked promising in the spring game and we really, really need him to be our #2. Outside of those two, there are a lot of unknowns, which is why the staff has still been trying to land another CB on the transfer portal. Does Walley get snaps as a true freshman? Does Howard finally contribute in his 6th year? Are Fleming, Glaze or Pless ready for prime time? Outside of Coney there are a lot of unknowns.

As for safety, we were just plain bad last year. Howden and Nubin need to be significantly better if we’re going to have a good season.

Coney is a good corner and will get the other team’s best receiver. Smith looked promising in the spring game and we really, really need him to be our #2. Outside of those two, there are a lot of unknowns, which is why the staff has still been trying to land another CB on the transfer portal. Does Walley get snaps as a true freshman? Does Howard finally contribute in his 6th year? Are Fleming, Glaze or Pless ready for prime time? Outside of Coney there are a lot of unknowns.

As for safety, we were just plain bad last year. Howden and Nubin need to be significantly better if we’re going to have a good season.
Ortiz should figure in…

I would've taken Ortiz last year at times over Nubin, as a high school junior.

Hope he makes significant improvements.

Agree with all of this 100%. DB, LB, and WR are position groups that worry me. All of them have an established #1 guy who should play at an above-average B1G level, but after that guy it's a bunch of questions marks. These groups are reasons I'm tempering my expectations to something like 8-4.

I was pretty impressed with the young DBs in the spring game. I think we have some talent there. Howard has played a decent amount now. Nubin I felt like improved quite a bit down the stretch. I’m expecting some solid growth now that he has a year under his belt. Terrell Smith is the wildcard, he could be a draft pick with his size if he has a strong year.

I expect for the Gophers to play a lot of DBs this season to keep them fresh for the entire season, and for the young DBs to gain playing time experience.

Top Bottom