Never Corner An Angry Gopher

The Art Vandelay on GH is a disgrace to the Seinfeld/George Costanza name. I expect anyone who uses that moniker to be funny/have a sense of humor.

MinnesotaBoiler and rcpratt:

Please don't take a little sh_t-talking on the internet too personally. I really enjoy when fans from other teams post - except for that time right after Coach Smith came to the program and the Kentucky fans ovewhelmed our board.

It's just like our regulars from Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. Some people freak out because they don't represent the Minnesota perspective, others appreciate the diversity of opinions. Count me in the latter camp. To be fair though, I also enjoy some of the trolling because it's good for a laugh, so I'm probably in the more extreme grou pof appreciating diverse opinions on the board.

Regardless, keep posting.

As for the OP, Damian should be pissed. I'm not going to bash Kramer, but I do think including Nash instead of Johnson was a terrible choice. I know Nash is very disruptive at the top of that zone, but Johnson was better than Nash in rebounds/game, steals/game and blocks/game and showed an ability to guard a variety of players over the course of the season.

Art Vandelay does have a sense of humor...to himself, and occassionally (once or twice) to me.

I didn't ask for your "credentials", but thanks for sharing. That actually makes it worse that you have all those MN connections and your only connection to Purdue was going there, yet it seems like the majority of your posts on here are to defend Purdue and never the Gophers. I'm not saying I don't appreciate posts from other teams' fans, but it seems like the majority of them on here go through the board looking for posts mentioning their team so that they can defend them and support their argument with a comparison to the gophers (basically a shot at the gophers).

I have lived in the Twin Cities my entire life, with the exception of my college years at Purdue. I grew up a Gopher fan and my family still has hockey and football season tickets. My wife is a U of M Alum and I'm friends with a handful of other Gopher fans who post on this board.

Is that enough credentials to post here?

your only connection to Purdue was going there, yet it seems like the majority of your posts on here are to defend Purdue and never the Gophers
Are you serious? Your alma mater should always be more important to you than a school that just happens to be in the state you live in, even if the rest of your family attended it. Obviously the Gophers are also important to him, but you can't seriously ask him to pick them over his alma mater.

Unless someone attends a division 2 athletics university or something, their alma mater should be their sports priority.

rc, I like seeing you post. We're all pissed about DJ being slighted. I, for one, hope you keep posting.

I think he got slighted too. Very good def player. I do think Kramer is excellent. People assume he is not that good and annoying because he is a hustle white guy. Kind of like Brian Cardinal or AJ Perzienski (sp?)...love them on your team, hate them on the other team, IMO...

He is right about Kramer being named DPOY. Is there some kind of jealousy thing going on with Gopher fans? The came in here, wasn't disrespectful and gave his opinion. I have no problem with that. Not sure why some of you do. What we have is a healthy discussion about the all defense team. Some of you guys seem to want to stoop to a low maturity level and blast this Purdue fan. He even gave props to DJ which are certainly deserved. If you can't play nice, then I think it's time for you leave. There is nothing wrong with engaging in a respectful and knowledgeable debate/discussion with another team's fan on YOUR forum.

I didn't ask for your "credentials", but thanks for sharing. That actually makes it worse that you have all those MN connections and your only connection to Purdue was going there, yet it seems like the majority of your posts on here are to defend Purdue and never the Gophers. I'm not saying I don't appreciate posts from other teams' fans, but it seems like the majority of them on here go through the board looking for posts mentioning their team so that they can defend them and support their argument with a comparison to the gophers (basically a shot at the gophers).

I'm a former athlete and assistant coach at Purdue (baseball) and still have many friends associated with the basketball team and in the athletic department, so I have a more vested interest in their athletic programs than the average student/alum. I certainly follow the Gophers very closely but I don't consider myself a "fan" anymore - although I do like to see them do well. In fact, back in '97 during the Final Four, I had a car load of Gopher fan friends shack up at my apartment in West Lafayette because they couldn't get a hotel room in Indy. Ironically I wasn't even there because we were on the road that weekend playing (of all places) the Gophers in the Dome. :)

I feel obligated to defend Purdue at times because I disagree with what is said, but that's what these type of forums are for. I mean no ill will towards anyone, I'm just sticking up for my squad. :D

P.S. Gopheralum2000, we played against each other IIRC from your previous posts.

Yes, I am actually. I respect what he said in his last post and understand why he supports Purdue over MN, but from the way it originally sounded ("I have lived in the Twin Cities my entire life, with the exception of my college years at Purdue. I grew up a Gopher fan and my family still has hockey and football season tickets"), I would think he would be a MN fan first.

Why should one's alma mater always come first? I'm not telling anyone to pick, but I would give a friend crap if they grew up a gopher fan, went to Wisconsin over MN for the education, lived in MN the rest of his life, and then supported Wisc over MN. Why should you support the school you went to for 4 years over the place you've lived the rest of your life?

Are you serious? Your alma mater should always be more important to you than a school that just happens to be in the state you live in, even if the rest of your family attended it. Obviously the Gophers are also important to him, but you can't seriously ask him to pick them over his alma mater.

Unless someone attends a division 2 athletics university or something, their alma mater should be their sports priority.

To me, there's a big difference between the bond formed when you spend four+ years at a university and the bond you form with a school that is in the state you live in. You live there, learn there, start your career there, attend sporting events there, have some of the best memories of your life there. For pro teams, I definitely agree with the "support the team you grew up with" sentiment. I'll be a Detroit fan all my life...mostly Tigers and Wings.

Maybe I'm just biased because I grew up in southeast Michigan with a bunch of stupid, cocky, uneducated people that thought they were so cool because they supported UofM athletics even though they had no affiliation with the school. There's nothing more annoying than a Michigan fan that practically acts like they attended the school just because they love the sports teams. God, I hate Michigan fans. I hope they stay in the toilet for another 50 years.

To me, there's a big difference between the bond formed when you spend four+ years at a university and the bond you form with a school that is in the state you live in. You live there, learn there, start your career there, attend sporting events there, have some of the best memories of your life there. For pro teams, I definitely agree with the "support the team you grew up with" sentiment. I'll be a Detroit fan all my life...mostly Tigers and Wings.

Maybe I'm just biased because I grew up in southeast Michigan with a bunch of stupid, cocky, uneducated people that thought they were so cool because they supported UofM athletics even though they had no affiliation with the school. There's nothing more annoying than a Michigan fan that practically acts like they attended the school just because they love the sports teams. God, I hate Michigan fans. I hope they stay in the toilet for another 50 years.

:clap:

Reminds me of the "reversible jacket" fans in Indiana that are IU fans during basketball season and when football season rolls around they jummp on the Notre Dame bandwagon.

Yes, I am actually. I respect what he said in his last post and understand why he supports Purdue over MN, but from the way it originally sounded ("I have lived in the Twin Cities my entire life, with the exception of my college years at Purdue. I grew up a Gopher fan and my family still has hockey and football season tickets"), I would think he would be a MN fan first.

Why should one's alma mater always come first? I'm not telling anyone to pick, but I would give a friend crap if they grew up a gopher fan, went to Wisconsin over MN for the education, lived in MN the rest of his life, and then supported Wisc over MN. Why should you support the school you went to for 4 years over the place you've lived the rest of your life?

I've been a Cincy Bearcat fan since 1958 and UK Wildcat fan since 1966 but I root harder for Purdue (my alma mater), too.

My reason is simple. Being a Purdue graduate has done a lot more for me than being a UC or UK fan.

Jesus Christ. Of course the school you went to will ALWAYS be you number 1 choice. Anyone who doesn't think so must never have actually attended a D1 school. Rcpratt is a great addition to the board. Other team's opinions of us are the reason I love having other team's on this board. People need to relax. Seriously.

Top Bottom