nelson to enroll early

monsonville

Reaction score
according to this tweet.. ZachJohnsonGI GopherIllustratedcom
@MinnesotaRivals confirmed that 2012 QB recruit Philip Nelson is on pace to graduate early and enroll at the U in January.

I LOVE how this kid was nearly a lock for the vadgers, and now he's so commited to the 'U' that he's going to enroll early to get to work. I'm more and more impressed with him the more I hear about him. I still want to get mollberg as well, which would give us a great 1-2 QB situation in the future.

What is the likelihood of Molberg getting a offer also? That is a huge news that Nelson is coming in early! Having a winter/spring/summer to get a jump start on the offense and development is huge.

A hidden benefit of this is that they will be able to roll his scholly back to the 2011 class, thus enabling us to take on an additional player for 2012 in what would've been Nelson's spot.

A hidden benefit of this is that they will be able to roll his scholly back to the 2011 class, thus enabling us to take on an additional player for 2012 in what would've been Nelson's spot.

Which would mean they could take Mollberg (if they wanted to) without having 2 QB's using up 2012 schollies. Nice! (I really want him to end up a Gopher b/c I'm also from DL. Hometown pride and all that).

I LOVE how this kid was nearly a lock for the vadgers, and now he's so commited to the 'U' that he's going to enroll early to get to work. I'm more and more impressed with him the more I hear about him. I still want to get mollberg as well, which would give us a great 1-2 QB situation in the future.

im liking our young depth at qb.. shortel and nelson will be great competition after Q has left

I don't think Nelson enrolling early will have any bearing on whether or not Mollberg gets an offer. They would still be the same age in school as it is a lock that Nelson would still RS, even if he did graduate early (we'd still have Gray, Alipate, Parish, Shortell).

The real question is if Mollberg would want to come here and fight for the position AND if he would be open to a move if he lost out. Mollberg is a pretty big kid (6'3" 205) and he could easily be 6'4" 225 by the time he is stepping foot on campus. He certainly could make a DE, TE, or H-Back.

Is it?

What is the likelihood of Molberg getting a offer also? That is a huge news that Nelson is coming in early! Having a winter/spring/summer to get a jump start on the offense and development is huge.

I've wondered about this. Is it really huge? How long has this trend been going? The kid will miss out on the last half of his senior year. There is a tradeoff there, for sure. Is it okay to thrust a kid into a college atmosphere mid-year? I would think that would be a strange feeling, especially since not many other students are in the same position. But, on the flipside, not many students are getting D1 scholarship offers from BCS schools.

Being in my forties, that is one thing that I've noticed that has changed since my youth. Most things are on the fast track. I haven't quite figured out if that's bad or good. I'll check back in 20 years. I should know by then, right?

I don't think Nelson enrolling early will have any bearing on whether or not Mollberg gets an offer. They would still be the same age in school as it is a lock that Nelson would still RS, even if he did graduate early (we'd still have Gray, Alipate, Parish, Shortell).

Not having to burn 2 schollies in one year on QB's would surely factor in somewhat. That's what I was getting at.

More importantly...we need to make this the norm for our incoming Fr...getting that extra Spring and getting acclimated to college will pay huge dividends long term for depth and development...never rebuild...RELOAD!!!!!!!!

You have to keep in mind that it is not uncommon at all these days for seniors in high school to go post secondary at a local college. I know of a handful of people that did it their senior years of high school that don't regret it one bit! So Nelson coming to the U a semester early isn't anything out of the ordinary on campuses these days. He just gets a bonus in that he will be taking part in that spring practice!

I've wondered about this. Is it really huge? How long has this trend been going? The kid will miss out on the last half of his senior year. There is a tradeoff there, for sure. Is it okay to thrust a kid into a college atmosphere mid-year? I would think that would be a strange feeling, especially since not many other students are in the same position. But, on the flipside, not many students are getting D1 scholarship offers from BCS schools.

Being in my forties, that is one thing that I've noticed that has changed since my youth. Most things are on the fast track. I haven't quite figured out if that's bad or good. I'll check back in 20 years. I should know by then, right?

A little like rushing through college to graduate early and get in the workforce, so you can do it for the next 45 years.

Extra scholarship

This would only help if we were going to be over the annual 25 scholarship limit in 2012. This is highly unlikely since we will have approximately only 16 players in their final year in 2011. Even if we have some other attrition and we carry forward several unfilled scholarships, we still should be short of the 25 limit.

The real problem in 2012 is that Kill needs to be careful in how he use the smaller than normal number of available scholarships. This is likely to be even a more serious problem in 2013 because there are only approximately 12 scholarships allocated to this year’s junior class. MV has discussed this shortage bubble on his blog often and the problem it is going to create.

I think this is a good point and that is why I would never blast a kid for not wanting to finish up early and enroll in January. I knew there was some talk about Tommy Olson enrolling early (he didn't), and I can't blame him for choosing to ride out his SR season.

I do hear you about thrusting a kid into an awkward situation mid-year and I think that would be especially tough for a normal student. However, Nelson will never be a normal student. Unlike a normal kid who would arrive on campus in January, Nelson will have a chance to meet 100 fellow football players, instantly. So I don't think socially it will extra dramatic. Academically, i'd guess he would be fine as well. I mean, if he is able to graduate HS early, I don't think he is the kind of kid that would struggle too much.

You are right though about the football. It seems odd that it would have that drastic of an impact. For Nelson, it will likely be to attempt to even up the disparity between him and Shortell as far as familiarity with the systems. It does seem like every college football coach is a gigantic fan of doing it and they also seem to be huge fans of getting the extra bowl game practices, so it is something they covet. I'm sure Jones is improving quite a bit more during these spring ball practices and weight room activities than he would have playing baseball in North Carolina.

But you're right, it's a legitimate point. I'm not sure if it is exactly the best possible thing for the kid but it seems to be what most football programs prefer and I wouldn't imagine Nelson couldn't handle it. That said, you can't blame a kid for wanting to finish out HS either.

Top Bottom