Nebraska Trip

Gophers09

Reaction score
I'll be making the trip this weekend for my first game at Memorial Stadium. Hoping we can get a thread going where people can share based on knowledge, experience, what they've heard, etc. What are the best things to see Friday night? Saturday morning? Can't wait for the trip, it sounds like we're going to have a good turnout!

I'll be making the trip this weekend for my first game at Memorial Stadium. Hoping we can get a thread going where people can share based on knowledge, experience, what they've heard, etc. What are the best things to see Friday night? Saturday morning? Can't wait for the trip, it sounds like we're going to have a good turnout!

Friday night, downtown will be very busy. 3 areas to see. Brand new area around Pinnacle Bank arena loaded with restaurants and bars. One of my favorites is a place called Longwells. Lots of beer on tap and good burgers. Right next to the arena is the Haymarket. Leadbelly is my favorite in the Haymarket. Downtown is full of small bars including The Zoo Bar. They have national blues and rockabilly bands that play there regularly. Unfortunately with it being a morning game, the tailgating will be short and sweet. Most are gracious, stop and make some friends.

Where are everyones seats? Did you buy em through the Gophers? We did and ended up with 4 in row 96 of section 19 and 4 in section 604. Really wish the game would've been at 230 instead of 11 AGAIN. Just more time to celebrate after we win I guess. Hoping to see LOTS of maroon and gold in the stands. SKI U MAH!

Unfortunately with it being a morning game, the tailgating will be short and sweet. Most are gracious, stop and make some friends.

Great advice. It is a lot of fun to tailgate with Nebraska fans. This is a must as you will really enjoy their company.

First trip. Do you recommend tailgating or bars before the game?

Hi, we're headed down to Lincoln too. Thanks to Lincoln Gopher for the advice.

As for gameday morning tailgate - is there an official (or unofficial) Gophers tailgate to join, or is there some other tailgate we should join somewhere else? Any thoughts on Saturday morning tailgating?

we are going as well section 38 lower row number (might be below sight lines) but its better than in the nose bleed sections

When I went two years ago, I remember that it took a long time to get up & to your seats, so plan that accordingly. I'd head into the stadium early & try to be efficient when you need to go to the concessions & restrooms.

We were way up in the corner with all the visitors, which I'm guessing is the same this time for everyone. I actually didn't think the view was that bad, considering from where you see the visitors are put when watching a game on TV. Perhaps that had lowered my expectations.

They are a nice bunch.

Some other suggestions are to go listen Friday night to the Sidetracks Band at The Single Barrel in downtown Lincoln. It is a fun band that in fun makes up songs and in a nice way pokes fun at opposing fans. If you like Prime Rib and don't mind driving a few minutes, hit up Misty's steakhouse in the havelock neighborhood. It is the original location and has been a tradition for 40 years to have the band come through the restaurant Friday night at dinner time. Another food suggestion is the grilled chicken wings at The Watering Hole downtown. The other suggestions of the rail yard and Haymarket are good as well.

Some other suggestions are to go listen Friday night to the Sidetracks Band at The Single Barrel in downtown Lincoln. It is a fun band that in fun makes up songs and in a nice way pokes fun at opposing fans. If you like Prime Rib and don't mind driving a few minutes, hit up Misty's steakhouse in the havelock neighborhood. It is the original location and has been a tradition for 40 years to have the band come through the restaurant Friday night at dinner time. Another food suggestion is the grilled chicken wings at The Watering Hole downtown. The other suggestions of the rail yard and Haymarket are good as well.

I second Misty's. It's good stuff.

If your looking for something downtown, Lazlo's also has excellent burgers and steak. It's within walking distance of the holiday inn if that's where you're staying.

When I went two years ago, I remember that it took a long time to get up & to your seats, so plan that accordingly. I'd head into the stadium early & try to be efficient when you need to go to the concessions & restrooms.

We were way up in the corner with all the visitors, which I'm guessing is the same this time for everyone. I actually didn't think the view was that bad, considering from where you see the visitors are put when watching a game on TV. Perhaps that had lowered my expectations.

They are a nice bunch.

2nd you on the seating advice. If you bought tickets through the U, they are in a section on the stadium that was added-on, but that part of the stadium didn't get extra entry gates of restrooms. If you want to see kickoff, make sure you are entering the stadium a good half hour before kick, and don't plan on using a restroom if you head down between quarters or something. There's a TON of people there all looking to do the same thing.

As far as nightlife, we had a GREAT time down at the bars there both Friday and Saturday nights two years ago. The locals bought us drinks/shots, and thanked us for making the trip down.

Both the bars and the tailgates are a good time, as we did both 2 years ago. We are tailgating for this Saturday, and noticed the lots open at 6am in Lincoln! :clap:

This came up earlier, and my best advice is arrive in Lincoln early. Friday afternoon would be best. Interstate 90 on Saturday Morning will be a steady stream from Omaha. You don't want or need that. I would recommend an early dinner before leaving Lincoln. Again, the traffic heading back to Omaha will be unbelievable. The recommendations around the Haymarket are good. If you want to be close to the Stadium. I would probably head to Misty's in Havelock after the game. You can get there on city streets and avoid the Interstate. Misty's has been the best for a long time. From Havelock you can jump on the I 90, but I wouldn't rush it.

Grab a Runza before sitting down. Put it in your pocket. They make a great hand warmer for about a quarter. Be careful when eating as they are filled with the equivalent of molten lava.

To get the full UNL experience, you should also have pizza from Valentinio's. It is OK, but it is regarded as the world's greatest by the locals. Older brother and sister are both grads and I've been drug into that joint more times than I can remember. Locals will treat you great. Complete opposite of Madison. Misty's is another old standby.

V
This came up earlier, and my best advice is arrive in Lincoln early. Friday afternoon would be best. Interstate 90 on Saturday Morning will be a steady stream from Omaha. You don't want or need that. I would recommend an early dinner before leaving Lincoln. Again, the traffic heading back to Omaha will be unbelievable. The recommendations around the Haymarket are good. If you want to be close to the Stadium. I would probably head to Misty's in Havelock after the game. You can get there on city streets and avoid the Interstate. Misty's has been the best for a long time. From Havelock you can jump on the I 90, but I wouldn't rush it.
Good points about the interstate between Lincoln and Omaha. Husker, how long have you been gone from Nebraska? It is I-80 and always has been!!!!!!!

Grab a Runza before sitting down. Put it in your pocket. They make a great hand warmer for about a quarter. Be careful when eating as they are filled with the equivalent of molten lava.

To get the full UNL experience, you should also have pizza from Valentinio's. It is OK, but it is regarded as the world's greatest by the locals. Older brother and sister are both grads and I've been drug into that joint more times than I can remember. Locals will treat you great. Complete opposite of Madison. Misty's is another old standby.
No, not the Valentino's. It is terrible.

My mind wanted I-80 but my fingers went the other way.

If you want to use city streets to get to Misty's stay off of O, I would take Vine St. to 70th St. North to Havelock Avenue and then left or west to Misty's at about 61st.

Living about 60 miles southwest of the Twin Towns, we took US 60 out of Mankato to Worthington south to Le Mars and Sioux City. Catching I 29 to North Omaha 680 and on to I 80. I think we found it was about 360 miles and we did it in about 5 and half hours. The 35W to I 80 route was never used.

Lincoln has lots of good steak houses. If all ya want is frikking pizza, ishta. Why go to Lincoln if ya aren't gonna have a good steak.

I remember Misty's for the Prime Rib.
Valentino's is a trap. The locals rave about it, but it nothing to write home about.

The Runza on the other hand is an Original. It's a stuffed sandwich hamburger, onions, and cabbage, and assorted seasonings. They are about the size of a nerf football. Served fresh and warm.

And one treat Runza took over and produces, and while I am not sure if they are as good as the original are Miller & Payne Cinnamon Rolls. They are a Lincoln Legend.

Sorry, but Runzas are like Maid-Rites: so overrated it's not even funny.

60 through Sioux City and Worthington may be the smart play for the trip back if the weather forecast holds. NWS MSP seems quite bullish on significant snowfall in central Iowa/SE MN Sunday afternoon.

Alum of Nebraska here (many moons ago) but a Gopher fan thru and thru. Eat runzas (I miss them so much). An original Nebraska food if there ever was one. Valentino's good but not like it was years ago.
Geaux Gophers!! (I live in Louisiana now.)

Sorry, but Runzas are like Maid-Rites: so overrated it's not even funny.

60 through Sioux City and Worthington may be the smart play for the trip back if the weather forecast holds. NWS MSP seems quite bullish on significant snowfall in central Iowa/SE MN Sunday afternoon.

You will be driving through my town if you take this route! It will probably be the quickest route. Also, having been to a couple games in Lincoln, they are the most hospitable fans in the country. I have had people flag us down while driving just to thank us for making the trip to Lincoln! I had several drinks bought for me after the gophers loss 2 seasons ago, and was treated very well at several tailgates. I would recommend this game as a must-go-to road game for every Gopher fan at some point.

Also, having been to a couple games in Lincoln, they are the most hospitable fans in the country. I have had people flag us down while driving just to thank us for making the trip to Lincoln! I had several drinks bought for me after the gophers loss 2 seasons ago, and was treated very well at several tailgates. I would recommend this game as a must-go-to road game for every Gopher fan at some point.

Totally agree. I think pretty much everyone who went to Lincoln 2 years ago had a similar experience! Lincoln is my favorite Big 10 road trip, by far! Husker fans are the complete opposite of Badger fans!

Get some food at Phat Jack's. Delicious. Also the food at the stadium is not good. Stay away from Runza's too, it's name is that for a reason. Lazlo's has some good eats and brew their own beer. It's fairly close to the stadium too. Can't remember the bar I went to in 2012 but there was Nordeast there, which had to be drank and I was happy to do so.

End Zone 16 C | Row: 89 | Seats: 6,7

Totally agree. I think pretty much everyone who went to Lincoln 2 years ago had a similar experience! Lincoln is my favorite Big 10 road trip, by far! Husker fans are the complete opposite of Badger fans!

Ditto for Iowa fans! I have never been to a game in Madison, but I have been to 3 or 4 Minnesota/Iowa games at Iowa City and the fans are terrible. All fan bases have their share of bad/ undesirable fans, but the Hawkeyes fans I have met are almost all like that. Instead they have a handful of decent ones mixed into a sea of jackasses.

To get the full UNL experience, you should also have pizza from Valentinio's. It is OK, but it is regarded as the world's greatest by the locals.

Both Runza and Val's are not what they were 30-40 years ago. My mother makes PROPER Runzas, and we brought them down with us to Lincoln last week because we can't stand the corporate product.

A few years back my dad told me the story of when pizza first arrived in Nebraska. Hard to believe it wasn't that long ago...

I like King Kong Burger when I'm in Lincoln. The staff is kind of scary, but the burgers are nice and big.

Anyone know of gopher fans congregating anywhere friday night? saturday morning?

Anyone know of gopher fans congregating anywhere friday night? saturday morning?

I saw this tweeted out today:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom