Nebraska reaction to divisions

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I was having a little fun this morning checking out media and fan reactions from around the Big 10 to the division alignments. A lot of it has already been covered on GH (Wisconsin panic/sky-is-falling, for example) or pretty predictable. The one thing that surprised me was Nebraska. Coming from the Big 12 and their history of national championships... I expected to see a lot of bravado and comments about how they'd run roughshod through the Big 10 regardless of alignment.

I was wrong. Almost universally, they are showing respect for the "brutal" schedule that awaits them in 2011 and 2012. I am seeing A LOT of respect for the power of the big 10. A sample from the reader comments after one article:

"Can we go back to the big XII? That is beyond brutal. That's like a Colorado-type of schedule. I sure wish our cross-division rival was someone like Indiana instead too... GULP"

Or for an example of an entire article:
http://bigrednetwork.com/story/nebraska_gets_murderous_big_ten_schedule_in_2011-12/

I sort of dismissed Nebraska in years past, just based on some a-hole fans of theirs that I happened to go to college with. But, through this process of adding them to the Big 10, I have learned a lot more about their program and fans. I am realizing a lot of my assumptions about them were wrong.

Of course, every school has it's moron fans. But I have had good experience with Nebraska fans. They are humbler than you would expect from just looking at fans of similarly successful football programs. And I am really glad they are showing respect for our football program as a whole, instead of just looking at our recent struggles.

This year: Go Huskers, Beat Texas!!
Next year and beyond: Better Dead than Red (act II)!!!!

My wife is from Lincoln and went to school at UN. I have been down there a LOT of times and am happy to say that her friends fall into the non-moron side. I don't know if that will change with their addition to the B10, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a full house the weekend of 10/22/11.

The 13-84 game has always bugged me and I always found it sadly ironic that the Gophers didn't have a chance to play Nebraska when they were down (in my game viewing lifetime, anyway). During those bad Callahan years, every time I'd see Nebraska getting killed by someone I used to think to myself "Now why couldn't the Gophers be playing them THIS year?" To continue the irony, it is interesting to see them again climbing the college football ladder, just as our Gophers (stuck in neutral for sooo long) finally get to play them again.

I only know one Husker personally, my cousin's wife. And she's a very cool fan. We never really talked about this until just this past month at a family gathering. She was pretty neutral about the conference change, but is looking forward to some good games (my cousin is a Bucknut and I'm obviously a Gopher fan) between the Buckeyes and the Gophers.

Both my cousin and I are hoping that our teams welcome Nebraska to the Big Ten with big time victories.

Nebraska has always been my #2 team behind the Gophers and I watch them whenever I get a chance. The Husker fans I know all have a good respect for the Big Ten, they understand that they may be one of the better teams in the conference and even in their best years would be pressed to win the championship.

Let's never forget: Tommy Lee was a Husker. That short-lived show might have been the greatest PR stunt that Big Red ever did.

I lived in Lincoln for 5 years and went to many games and partied with many die hard fans...we would be so lucky to have a fan base like theirs...game days are awesome.

On a side note...got my tickets for the Iowa game...hopefully make up for the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty WI loss that I witnessed last year!!!

A post by the Sports Ace??? He is alive indeed. You know its football season when you finally come back on board here buddy!

That's right. Alive and well...and ready to take Gopher Nation to the Rose Bowl! (sorry, I've gone a bit overboard on Brew's Kool-Aid)

Nebraska has one of the best fan bases in the country. The game day experience is 2nd to none there. I am going to the Texas game on Oct 16th and cannot wait for it. There are the die hard lunatic fans out there though. Must not have been on that link you posted...

I have lived here in Lincoln for 27 years now and of course all of my friends are natives. I have always been treated well. They are very passionate and some times over the top, but nearly 40 years of winning records and 5 national championships can do that to you. It is all they have for sports teams, so it is a truely statewide thing. Gameday is a blast, many times I will go to tailgates and never to the game. Memorial stadium is a great atmosphere, but not a very comfortable place to watch a game, tiny slots on the benches to park it. Most of my friends have had the humble attitude about the schedule, not upset. Of course I tell them it is an easy schedule since they have been telling me for years that the Big Ten sucks.:)

I was checking out their board yesterday and I had the opposite reaction. I sensed they were relieved at the alignment. One fan quipped that they will be heading to a lot of Big 10 championship games in the future. They weren't rude about it. But that was the take I got.

I was having a little fun this morning checking out media and fan reactions from around the Big 10 to the division alignments. A lot of it has already been covered on GH (Wisconsin panic/sky-is-falling, for example) or pretty predictable. The one thing that surprised me was Nebraska. Coming from the Big 12 and their history of national championships... I expected to see a lot of bravado and comments about how they'd run roughshod through the Big 10 regardless of alignment.

I was wrong. Almost universally, they are showing respect for the "brutal" schedule that awaits them in 2011 and 2012. I am seeing A LOT of respect for the power of the big 10. A sample from the reader comments after one article:

"Can we go back to the big XII? That is beyond brutal. That's like a Colorado-type of schedule. I sure wish our cross-division rival was someone like Indiana instead too... GULP"

Or for an example of an entire article:
http://bigrednetwork.com/story/nebraska_gets_murderous_big_ten_schedule_in_2011-12/

I sort of dismissed Nebraska in years past, just based on some a-hole fans of theirs that I happened to go to college with. But, through this process of adding them to the Big 10, I have learned a lot more about their program and fans. I am realizing a lot of my assumptions about them were wrong.

Top Bottom