Nebraska media take on our Gopher football program

It's actually written by a reporter from the Minnesota Daily and I found this line at the end funny:

"Derek Whitmore is a sports righter for mndaily.com."

Go Gophers!!

Just a note: I looked at my title and it reads like the Nebraska media is "taking on" the Gophers - as in being an adversary. That isn't what I meant. I meant they were providing their take.

Sorry for the sensational overstatement.

Yeah, he is right on.
I am puzzled with the last line
Derek Whitmore is a sports righter for mndaily.com

Minneapolis is also spelled wrong. The article title should also have all of the words capitalized.

You know what the "N" on Nebraska's helmet stands for?

Nowlege

He also used a period instead of a comma at one point, turning a single sentence into two sentence fragments. Scandalous.

He also used a period instead of a comma at one point, turning a single sentence into two sentence fragments. Scandalous.
Sarcasm aside, the byline lists the "righter" as Derek Wetmore. Later, he's listed as Derek Whitmore. Nobody proofs or edits in the press anymore. It's a race to get as much content out as quickly as humanly possible.

If ewe reed the article closely, wii also one too national chmpnshps in 1935.

In a professional article, there is no such thing as too high of a standard for accuracy of content. Any errors at all are unacceptable, even ones that may seem "nitpicky" to some. I'll never understand why people continually apologize for sloppy writers, sloppy editors and sloppy journalism.

Just for fun, and because I know it's going to piss off people like ekmn:

1. Wetmore/Whitmore inconsistency
2. Apparently "fan base" is two words now
3. "discernable"
4. the words maroon and gold capitalized for some bizarre reason in "Maroon-and-Gold-clad"
5. '35 listed twice under national championships
6. "They lost the 1960 Rose Bowl" - Minnesota did not play in the 1960 Rose Bowl
7. "They lost the 1960 Rose Bowl under recently-deceased Murray Warmath." 2 questions: "I thought Warmath died in 2011, not 1960?"; and "How did he coach the team if he were dead?"
8. "selected as national champions by committees anyway" - no, they were selected as national champions long before the Rose Bowl even took place
9. Sandy "Stevens"
10. "The 1961 Rose Bowl was not played as the national championship game. It was, however, the first and last time the Gophers won a Rose Bowl." - the Gophers did not win the 1961 Rose Bowl
11. "the last time they were relevant nationally" - no one knew who the Gophers were when the won the Big Ten in 1967?
12. Hubert. H. Humphrey Metrodome
13. "Though only three miles geographically separate the old Brick House site from the downtown Metrodome location" - less than two miles, actually
14. "Eastern side of downtown" - eastern mysteriously capitalized
15. "Partly because the state-of-the-art facility was supposed to increase Minnesota’s recruiting prowess." - sentence fragment
16. "Paul Bunyan’s axe" - Axe not capitalized
17. "little brown jug" not capitalized
18. "Governor’s victory bell" - neither Victory nor Bell capitalized
19. "its open horseshoe design faces the old ground where its predecessor used to stand" - no, it doesn't
20. "it’s been 50 years since the Gophers experienced on-field success" - no, it hasn't
21. sports righter

So how about that, ekmn? Is 21 errors in a short, professional newspaper article too few, too many, or just right? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Does a degree from the J school at the U mean nothing anymore? And how can a newspaper run an article without proofreading/fact checking it?

I do have to say dpdoll, your fisking skills are thing of beauty sometimes.

Just for fun, and because I know it's going to piss off people like ekmn:

1. Wetmore/Whitmore inconsistency
2. Apparently "fan base" is two words now
3. "discernable"
4. the words maroon and gold capitalized for some bizarre reason in "Maroon-and-Gold-clad"
5. '35 listed twice under national championships
6. "They lost the 1960 Rose Bowl" - Minnesota did not play in the 1960 Rose Bowl
7. "They lost the 1960 Rose Bowl under recently-deceased Murray Warmath." 2 questions: "I thought Warmath died in 2011, not 1960?"; and "How did he coach the team if he were dead?"
8. "selected as national champions by committees anyway" - no, they were selected as national champions long before the Rose Bowl even took place
9. Sandy "Stevens"
10. "The 1961 Rose Bowl was not played as the national championship game. It was, however, the first and last time the Gophers won a Rose Bowl." - the Gophers did not win the 1961 Rose Bowl
11. "the last time they were relevant nationally" - no one knew who the Gophers were when the won the Big Ten in 1967?
12. Hubert. H. Humphrey Metrodome
13. "Though only three miles geographically separate the old Brick House site from the downtown Metrodome location" - less than two miles, actually
14. "Eastern side of downtown" - eastern mysteriously capitalized
15. "Partly because the state-of-the-art facility was supposed to increase Minnesota’s recruiting prowess." - sentence fragment
16. "Paul Bunyan’s axe" - Axe not capitalized
17. "little brown jug" not capitalized
18. "Governor’s victory bell" - neither Victory nor Bell capitalized
19. "its open horseshoe design faces the old ground where its predecessor used to stand" - no, it doesn't
20. "it’s been 50 years since the Gophers experienced on-field success" - no, it hasn't
21. sports righter

So how about that, ekmn? Is 21 errors in a short, professional newspaper article too few, too many, or just right? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Does a degree from the J school at the U mean nothing anymore? And how can a newspaper run an article without proofreading/fact checking it?

You're right on all of these except #19. From my seat I have a clear view of the Alumni Center and the Aquatic Center. It doesn't face them exactly but its very close. But the amount of mistakes in that article is ridiculous.

"...nothing anymore?"

I'm sure you meant, "...anything anymore?"

What you said would imply that we were worth nothing all along -- the irony!

"...nothing anymore?"

I'm sure you meant, "...anything anymore?"

What you said would imply that we were worth nothing all along -- the irony!

Nice try, but the word "anymore" can also mean "now", in which case the sentence would mean "Does a degree from the J school at the U mean nothing now?", which, of course, was my intent.

It's the Grand Island newspaper. That town is pretty much only known for meth and tornadoes.

Just for fun, and because I know it's going to piss off people like ekmn...

...So how about that, ekmn? Is 21 errors in a short, professional newspaper article too few, too many, or just right? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Do you think I'm pissed off? Reading that article was like walking a minefield. I am a writer, and I appreciate good good prose. This writer had plenty to say, but he had some difficulty expressing it without errors.

I'm not sure what in my posts gave you the idea that I have difficulty with spelling, grammar, and sentence construction.

Do you think I'm pissed off? Reading that article was like walking a minefield. I am a writer, and I appreciate good good prose. This writer had plenty to say, but he had some difficulty expressing it without errors.

I'm not sure what in my posts gave you the idea that I have difficulty with spelling, grammar, and sentence construction.
Regardless, it is a pretty accurate assessment of our stinky situation. I was not thrilled about the typo that generated two 1935 national championships and left out our 1936 national championship. From a 30,000 foot viewpoint, it is on target, and this is what makes it so painful to read. I think our combined frustrations are squirting out sideways in complaining about the spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Hopefully Jerry Kill and his staff put this program back in 4 wheel drive and are able to extricate us out of this muddy quagmire. Glen was making some progress in this regard, but then along came Joel and his vision.

Aside from the grammar errors, the article makes it seem like Minnesota has had nothing but 3-9 seasons every year for the last 50 years.

Aside from the grammar errors, the article makes it seem like Minnesota has had nothing but 3-9 seasons every year for the last 50 years.
It is an article for Nebraskans. It is difficult to argue with the article. According to Eric Thrall's website http://ericthrall.com/gophers/football/nebraska.html, we have not defeated Nebraska since 24 September 1960. That was followed by 14 straight losses to the Cornhuskers, some of which were mighty humiliating defeats.

Nebraska vs. South Dakota

I found it interesting that the writer mentioned how we lost to South Dakota, if you look at the history of Big Red they have also lost once to South Dakota and tied them twice. South Dakota versus Big RED 14-1-2 1964 was last time they played them. So I guess they are just saying that maybe they are not as good as the coyotes and have given up playing them? :D

That article was a minefield of missing facts, that's for certain. After readying dpo's list, I just navigated a minefield of bad grammar as well.

I lived!!!

It is an article for Nebraskans. It is difficult to argue with the article. According to Eric Thrall's website http://ericthrall.com/gophers/football/nebraska.html, we have not defeated Nebraska since 24 September 1960. That was followed by 14 straight losses to the Cornhuskers, some of which were mighty humiliating defeats.

Was looking @ the site last night and thought........."Geez.........next year in Lincoln, if we score 8 points and hold them under 50, that would be a step forward" {from an historical perspective}. Look @ AWAY scores from 1971 on...........yikes. We scored more points against them on the road in the 1960 game than the next 6 visits to Lincoln combined.

Was looking @ the site last night and thought........."Geez.........next year in Lincoln, if we score 8 points and hold them under 50, that would be a step forward" {from an historical perspective}. Look @ AWAY scores from 1971 on...........yikes. We scored more points against them on the road in the 1960 game than the next 6 visits to Lincoln combined.
Buck_Buchanan,

It looks bad, but our last encounter was almost 21 years ago. When Penn State joined the Big Ten, they thought they were going to simply dominate the conference, and they have not. Nebraska may be feeling the same as PSU did, but I believe they will ultimately find themselves in the same situation as PSU. A winning team, but not a year in and year out conference contender. Our cupboard is not bare. If it were bare, under interim head coach Jeff Horton we would not have defeated Illinois and Iowa to close out last season. Both of those teams went bowling. I am not predicting victory against the Cornhuskers in 2011, but I believe we will be competitive and not fold like a tent, precisely because I believe Jerry Kill is instilling discipline, endurance, and mental toughness in our team. His NIU team got blown out by Wisconsin and Toledo in 2007, his first year with the Huskies, but by 2008, they were competitive, their only lopsided loss being a 45-14 loss to then #17 ranked Ball State. I think this was the last game a coach Kill team was waxed. I am hoping we are competitive in 2011, but more importantly that we do not get blown out of games and humiliated. I voted in the poll initiated by TrueGopherFballfan#1 that we would finish 5-7 in 2011. Yet with a couple of breaks, we could go 6-6 in the regular season, and 7-6 by the time a bowl game is over. I believe we will improve as the year progresses and finish strong. We shall see. There is much anticipation in the air for me. I feel good about Kill, Claeys, Limegrover, and all their assistants. We have an excellent coaching staff. Let the games begin.

His NIU team got blown out by Wisconsin and Toledo in 2007, his first year with the Huskies, but by 2008, they were competitive, their only lopsided loss being a 45-14 loss to then #17 ranked Ball State. I think this was the last game a coach Kill team was waxed.

Kill and Co. were not at NIU in 2007.

They lost their 2009-10 bowl game 27-3 to USF.

Kill and Co. were not at NIU in 2007.

They lost their 2009-10 bowl game 27-3 to USF.
dpodoll68,

Then this is even better. Jerry Kill's 2008 season was light years ahead of the 2007 season. More reason for Gopher optimism. 27-3 is not good, but in my mind it is not a blow out. Not having been there or having watched it, I would guess that the offense never got out of 1st gear, left the defense gasping for breath being on the field all day, but the defense was doing a credible job of trying to keep NIU in the game. A 24 point differential after 60 minutes. The definition of a blow out is of course subjective.

Top Bottom