Neal: Cornhuskers fans living, cheering in Minnesota were happy, for a half, against Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per La Velle:

As the battle of the backup quarterbacks unfolded between the Gophers and Nebraska on Saturday, about 100 Cornhuskers fans gathered in downtown Minneapolis in their now-weekly search for hope.

This is a depressed, angered, tormented, wounded, downtrodden and aggravated group of supporters who live in the Twin Cities and meet at Lyon's Pub in downtown Minneapolis, where the fight song is played regularly, and they can celebrate or commiserate over their favorite beverages. Huskers fans aren't used to 11 a.m. starts, so attendance was a little low at kickoff on this Saturday and the atmosphere was rather subdued.

Eventually, their emotions would be toyed with once again.

Go Gophers!!

Saw that the StarTrib did not even send a reporter to the game. (It is disappointing). Did they send anyone to MSU or PSU?

Cornhuskers fans living, cheering in Minnesota were happy, for a half … and miserable for the rest of their lives.​

This is such a sh*t excuse for a "column". It's clear they tried to take the cheapest route possible for additional Gopher content. Wack.

This is such a sh*t excuse for a "column". It's clear they tried to take the cheapest route possible for additional Gopher content. Wack.
Well, yes........newspapers are losing money.

So they have their reporters stay and watch the games, instead of paying to send them there.

Does the Pioneer Press still send a beat writer?
This is very telling of how things are at the Star Tribune. Makes you wonder what Sir Sid would think?

Does the Pioneer Press still send a beat writer?
This is very telling of how things are at the Star Tribune. Makes you wonder what Sir Sid would think?
They also used to have 4 large color photos of the game in their newspaper. Now it is basically nothing. I stopped this morning at a store and looked. They have one little color photo of a play in the top left corner. That was it.

Of course, any color photos they have now has to go mostly to women's sports.......because, well, you know.

Out of curiosity, I searched the StarTrib archives and found that once we lost to Purdue, the coverage stopped traveling. (No longer "worthy" or "relevant" I guess.) StarTrib beat writer Randy Johnson was in East Lansing, but did the report from afar for Illinois and Nebraska. An AP feed provided the report for the PSU game.

They also used to have 4 large color photos of the game in their newspaper. Now it is basically nothing. I stopped this morning at a store and looked. They have one little color photo of a play in the top left corner. That was it.

Of course, any color photos they have now has to go mostly to women's sports.......because, well, you know.
Ok Boomer

Out of curiosity, I searched the StarTrib archives and found that once we lost to Purdue, the coverage stopped traveling. (No longer "worthy" or "relevant" I guess.) StarTrib beat writer Randy Johnson was in East Lansing, but did the report from afar for Illinois and Nebraska. An AP feed provided the report for the PSU game.
Randy Johnson has a State College dateline.

Speaking of booze-reeking...

Apparently traveling the 1 oz bottles of liquor into the stadium is very easy to do at Memorial. Watched legal youngsters consume mucho during the game, and they did litter our general area from the "older" Huskers too.

Also of course had the obligatory vomit spot to step around while exiting our seats...

There are plans to allow beer sales in the near future, which may at least slow down the vomiting...at least due to alcohol. It is true however that the wretching may have come from watching the field of play in the 2nd half, but we'll never know...

Greder was there.

Wonder what elevator he was in. There is a separate one for media to go to the 7th level (if I remember correctly), and you use the same one to get back to the field.

Top Bottom