NE Running Game, Mitch Leidner and Other Notes - Omaha.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
Running Game Problems

Nebraska had watched opponents starting to put the brakes on its run game over the last month, and it bottomed out at Ohio State.

The 78 rushing yards against the Buckeyes marked the Huskers’ lowest output since being held to 77 last season at Purdue. It was only the second time this season that NU finished with under 150 (138 vs. Wyoming).

So what needs to happen next?

“I think the No. 1 thing we need to do is establish two identity runs that we can repeat better throughout the ball game that look good,” coach Mike Riley said. “Sometimes when you’re not doing well, you jump around a little bit. So I think establishing identity in that way — and really rehearsing that and practicing that in the course of the next three days — is really going to be big for us, and proving that and getting back to it...

Nebraska was averaging 234.2 yards and ranked No. 23 nationally after five games and had run for 14 touchdowns. It hasn’t managed more than 157 yards in any of the four games since and has dropped to No. 50 overall at 190.0 per game.

Along the way, the offensive line has dealt with injuries to left tackle Nick Gates, right tackle David Knevel and right guard Tanner Farmer.

Mitch Leidner (the Roethlisberger comparison is new to me)

This season he has 69 rushing attempts for 251 yards and seven touchdowns. In 2015 he totaled 270 yards on 107 attempts and six touchdowns.

Last season Nebraska held Leidner to negative one yard on eight carries. However, through the air, he was 26 of 40 for 301 yards and a touchdown.

“He’s a good quarterback,” Williams said. “He’s a guy that can make the throws off play action.

“I know he’s been compared to Ben Roethlisberger or a guy like that,” Williams said.

Leidner’s run game has been a key factor in a Minnesota offense that is particularly run heavy. The Golden Gophers have 405 carries this season compared to 229 pass attempts.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footba...cle_8f562d95-c433-5c2c-8f1a-167b1ab23e05.html

Only shows the genius of Claeys to be 7-2 with another person's offense.

Yeah, the Big Ben comparison doesn't make much sense. Guess b/c of their size and the run/pass threat, but Mitch is not even close stats wise.

Injury Report

“All of our linebackers have a little bit of something,” Riley said. “I’m not sure we’ll know if any of them can’t play, but they could be listed as questionable.”

Dedrick Young is battling an ankle injury, Marcus Newby has a hamstring injury, Michael Rose-Ivey (elbow) should be able to play, Riley said, and backup linebacker Chris Weber (knee strain) is also out of practice.

On offense, Farmer (ankle) and Knevel (ankle) are getting closer to returning to play against Minnesota. Brandon Reilly (hamstring) is questionable, while running back Devine Ozigbo (ankle) is “getting better and better,” Riley said, and needs to get more carries.

“We need to get a little bit more rotation with our backs,” Riley said.

In surprising — and good — news, left guard Jerald Foster — believed done for the season with a serious MCL injury in August, has been cleared to run and may be available against Maryland, Iowa and in a bowl game. The last of those — the bowl game — might be most notable, as Nebraska would have several practices in December in which Foster could work with the team to get back up to speed on the offense.

“I’m hopeful — for Jerald’s sake — that he could possibly get back in the mix,” Riley said. “He’s already redshirted so it wouldn’t be like we’d be burning a year if he were able to play at all this season.”

Foster is working out and has been working some drills — without pads — with linemen at the start of practice.

Nebraska chose to redshirt four true freshmen offensive linemen this year instead of playing any of them. Did Riley regret that decision?

“Maybe,” Riley said. “I have appreciated the work our guys have done, but as it’s gotten thinner it has gotten scarier. And so perhaps it’s worth reflecting on.”

Top Bottom