NCAA - KU

Self was a guy that I'd hoped was clean. He's likable.

For those looking for a bit of context:

The NCAA enforcement staff said Kansas' basketball program committed "egregious" and "severe" rules violations that "significantly undermine and threaten the NCAA Collegiate Model," and alleged that Jayhawks coach Bill Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend "embraced, welcomed and encouraged" Adidas employees and consultants to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Kansas.

That was the NCAA enforcement staff's position in its 92-page reply to Kansas, which the university released on Thursday. The Jayhawks are charged with five Level I rules violations, the most serious, including lack of institutional control. Self is charged with head-coach responsibility violations.

Under NCAA rules, a head coach could be hit with a show-cause order and be suspended up to an entire season for Level I violations.

Go Gophers!!

Nothing will happen. Like Arizona they will lawyer up and drag it out.

The proof of the pudding will be the sanctions.
Most people have lost hope that the NCAA will ever do the right thing after they gave NC a get out of jail card.
Granted the the classes in question were open to non athletes but did they look at how the athletes were graded, did their own work and if their teachers were cajoled to pass them compared to other students?
Of course not, Old Roy might have had his feelings hurt.

1 year ban, loss of 2 scholarships. Carry on......

Thanks for link BG, never understand why people start threads like this without the information. Just assuming everyone knows the news?

Thanks for link BG, never understand why people start threads like this without the information. Just assuming everyone knows the news?
Sorry, that is on me. I frequently make the mistake of assuming people follow college basketball closely. It is a Gopher message board and should have tied in the release .

The fans on the Kansas message boards response's are kind of interesting, they don't doubt that it happened but there isn't definitive proof of it, besides everyone does it, why should they be single out.

The fans on the Kansas message boards response's are kind of interesting, they don't doubt that it happened but there isn't definitive proof of it, besides everyone does it, why should they be single out.

The sad reality of it all is that no punishment takes away from all the memories. It's why things like vacating wins, titles, etc is pretty much useless. Ya it may severely limit them for a few years but with their tradition they'll quickly bounce back

The sad reality of it all is that no punishment takes away from all the memories. It's why things like vacating wins, titles, etc is pretty much useless. Ya it may severely limit them for a few years but with their tradition they'll quickly bounce back
Postseason bans and loss of scholarships is the way to go in addition to vacating wins and titles.

Vacating wins is meaningless. Let them keep their wins and tack on another year to the post season ban.
Not meaningless to me. Cheaters did not win, they cheated. Anyone can win cheating. That is how Clem won.

Not meaningless to me. Cheaters did not win, they cheated. Anyone can win cheating. That is how Clem won.
It's certainly not a 1/1 and mostly punishes the fans. The coaches/players who cheated are dirty either way. They either care or they don't (most likely the later.)

It's certainly not a 1/1 and mostly punishes the fans. The coaches/players who cheated are dirty either way. They either care or they don't (most likely the later.)
Justice to me is taking away what someone stole. The Louisville players that gave up their title spoke of being crushed. Clem and the players that cheated punished the fans. Why would i celebrate something we did not deserve.

Must be some writer from kansas that was saying hes flabbergasted that kansas is getting thrown under the bus since zion and ayton never went to kansas. I guess from his point of view it's alright to offer a boat load of money if they dont pick your school. What a joke!

This is just PR. Just like the Southern District announcing its big, bad investigation.

You make the announcement, the public sees it, they think that someone is watching and will slap wrists as needed. After that, quietly, you then walk away. Or you are told to walk away, by people in power.

What actual incentive is there for the NCAA, the Big XII, or CBS/ESPN to want to punish the Kansas basketball brand?

It would be like the NBA punishing the Lakers, preventing them from going to the NBA playoffs, because they broke some rules. In the grand scheme of things .... so what? The product is the brands and the loyalty and casual interest that they can draw.

Kansas, nor any other college basketball team at the top of the heap -- nor the Lakers or any NBA team in the league -- can do something so incredible that it guarantees them wins. At the end of the day, all they can do is try to tap the scale just a bit in their favor. Nothing they did here, guaranteed that they would beat Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Mich St, Arizona, etc.

Must be some writer from kansas that was saying hes flabbergasted that kansas is getting thrown under the bus since zion and ayton never went to kansas. I guess from his point of view it's alright to offer a boat load of money if they dont pick your school. What a joke!

That's the other big sentiment that is being expressed, I guess if you try to rob someone on the street but they had no money no crime is committed.

That's the other big sentiment that is being expressed, I guess if you try to rob someone on the street but they had no money no crime is committed.
Not true. The use of force is a crime in of itself.

What if a business owner walks up to a person on the street and offers them $500 cash to consider shopping at their business? Is that a crime?

What if a business owner walks up to a person on the street and offers them $500 cash to consider shopping at their business? Is that a crime?

Not sure if that's a good analogy, since there are no laws against a business doing that type of thing, but there are rules in the NCAA against doing that type of thing. Or at least I've always believed that was against NCAA rules.

Not sure if that's a good analogy, since there are no laws against a business doing that type of thing, but there are rules in the NCAA against doing that type of thing. Or at least I've always believed that was against NCAA rules.
There are rules against schools and boosters doing it, of course. There are no rules against some random person offering a player money. And certainly no laws against it.

There are rules against schools and boosters doing it, of course. There are no rules against some random person offering a player money. And certainly no laws against it.

I guess that's why we keep getting more and more rules and laws piled on top of rules and laws. People are always trying to work around the spirit of the rules and laws to get an advantage. I guy I work with is adamant about the philosophy "If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying". Absolutely anything that isn't "Specifically" addressed in detail, no matter how obscure or out there, (spaceship from Neptune lands in Hutchinson.....) is OK until that particular thing is ruled not OK.

Top Bottom