NCAA grants any Virginia football players whose eligibility ended in 2022 an extra year of eligibility...

I feel for them but that's crazy. 2 games warrants another season?
Assume it only affects like 10-15 players at the most and some of them will elect to go pro or retire anyway most likely.

The bigger question is if they are letting UVA expand their roster to accommodate those players getting an extra year like that. Because if it did turn out to be like 10 players that could have a pretty big impact on their scholarship numbers in a way they were not counting on.

I've been saying...we should hire Vikings reserves and a few other NFL players to play in our tougher games...like vs Michigan and Ohio State next year. And for our Playoff games.

Next year we'll see some 2-6 team cancel their season for whatever reason and try to get the same benefit.
I think that might be going a little overboard. What happened in Virginia was an extreme situation with multiple players murdered.

It's not like they granted an extra year to the whole team, this will only affect a handful of players. I agree that this is probably a bit of an overcorrection on the part of the NCAA given that they only lost 2 games off of their season but this is a really unprecedented situation.

This may be a dumb or insensitive question but why were the games cancelled? In other instances where players have unexpectedly died is it common to cancel multiple games? Have to think the players would have wanted the guys to carry on but maybe the trauma and distractions were too significant.

This may be a dumb or insensitive question but why were the games cancelled? In other instances where players have unexpectedly died is it common to cancel multiple games? Have to think the players would have wanted the guys to carry on but maybe the trauma and distractions were too significant.
Perhaps this was a little more unique as it was multiple deaths, plus another severe injury.

We may get to a point where eligibility based on years in school is thrown out the window!
I think we’re headed towards a future where the NCAA pretty much grants an additional year to anyone who bothers to file a petition, regardless of the reason. Probably just one (on top of any red shirt or grey shirt years).

Top Bottom