NCAA discussing possibility of losing teams in bowls

...or maybe they can get rid of some of these ridiculous bowls.

More motivation for lowering the benchmarks for on-field play.

Or they could just allow one or two hungry, non-playoff FCS schools into a bowl slot or
two. That would be interesting.

Ridiculous. No team with a below .500 record should be proud to accept a bowl bid. I agree with previous suggestions-get rid of a couple bowls and/or let lower conference or even FCS teams pick up those bowl bids.

What does it matter?

If these bowl games want to host a bowl and teams want to play them, what does it hurt? Everyone knows they are essentially meaningless, they aren't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. They are games of two very average teams playing at the end of December and getting another month or so of practice. If you don't like the fact that these lower bowls exist, simply don't watch them.

I'd rather let these kids play another game against an opponent we don't normally get to see and have them get another month of practice. Call me crazy, but I would hate to shorten the college football season. For fans of teams like us, hey we get another game. For fans of the Florida's of the world, I doubt they ever even think of these types of games.

I can't see the NCAA allowing I-AA teams in bowl games. It's not going to be common for a non-playoff I-AA team to be really good. The non-scholarship teams play at a very low level. That leaves the teams in transition. Usually, that's a very rough time.

I've wondered what's the point of the Ivy League being in I-AA if they won't participate in the I-AA playoffs.

They have allowed losing teams into bowl games before, one year, North Texas won the Sun Belt with a 5-6 record, and they let them go to the bowl game.

Sweet. We could lose to Columbia or a 4-8 Arkansas State team in the Insight Bowl some day.

As long as there is a betting line on the game, there will always be interest in the lower-rung cow dung bowl games.

At some point, some of these Bowls would have to start losing money. The lower-tier ones generally don't draw flies, and while ESPN's Bowl week overall is a ratings bonanza for them, I can't think they shell out huge rights fees for the bottom of the barrel. Seeing the crowd at the Insight Bowl I can't really fathom how they made any money. It had by far the lowest TV ratings, and I doubt NFL Network ponied up much dough.

The NCAA isn't going to shut down bowls. The bowls will continue so long as they are making money. We won't see a 4-8 team in a bowl game. You might see a 5-7 team in a bowl game, but only if there aren't enough 6-6 teams.

FCS teams can play in bowls when FBS teams get to play in their playoffs.

The NCAA isn't going to shut down bowls. The bowls will continue so long as they are making money. We won't see a 4-8 team in a bowl game. You might see a 5-7 team in a bowl game, but only if there aren't enough 6-6 teams.

FCS teams can play in bowls when FBS teams get to play in their playoffs.

It's not really up to the NCAA. I would think some of the Bowls will shut down on thier own when they start losing money.

It's not really up to the NCAA. I would think some of the Bowls will shut down on thier own when they start losing money.

They have. The International Bowl in Toronto folded this year, following a long line of past bowls that have gone under (who else has fond memories of the Seattle Bowl and the Silicon Valley Classic?).

As long as a group goes to the NCAA with the proper initial funding, sponsorships, etc., the NCAA will give the green light to certify the game. However, as evidenced by this article, we've reached the critical mass number. A group in Orlando has twice applied to host a bowl in UCF's new stadium, but were denied because the new games in Dallas and New York were seen as more attractive. The number won't go up from 35, but I don't see it decreasing, either. If it isn't Orlando that steps in, another group in another city will.

Sometimes I think the NCAA is run by a bunch of morons. Seriously, if the Gophers can get into a bowl this year the system is totally broken to begin with.

Sometimes I think the NCAA is run by a bunch of morons. Seriously, if the Gophers can get into a bowl this year the system is totally broken to begin with.

No, if the Gophers make it to a bowl this year, it means that the Gophers have done a godo job of turning things around.

What is the great travesty of letting companies sponsor a football game between two bad teams?

What is the great travesty of letting companies sponsor a football game between two bad teams?

Well, because making it to a bowl game is supposed to mean something. Even now there are so many that making it to one doesn't mean that much.

Well, because making it to a bowl game is supposed to mean something. Even now there are so many that making it to one doesn't mean that much.

Back in my day...

So you don't think that administrators or fans can differentiate the achievement between the Rose bowl and the Little Ceasers Bowl?

What a crap idea. Of course, another group that won't speak out against it is the AFCA, because making a bowl game is a sign of a "successful" season, and successful seasons mean more money for coaches as well as job security.

Top Bottom