NCAA denies hardship waiver to player who lost his father and brother

Saber

Reaction score
First of all, the NCAA should be ashamed of themselves for this one. Second of all, I won't lie that it made me nervous about Buckles, despite the good news recently on that front...

"Okoro’s 72-year-old father, Stanislaus, died in December of a stroke. Then two months later, his 28-year-old brother, Idiongo, died from colon cancer. Okoro came back to be closer to his mother Eno and older brother Freddie, 26."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/coll...es_hardship_waiver_for_36emEbl2sLfvmmFLpA86QJ

Wow I feel bad for the kid. How can you not make an acception for that case.?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It is my understanding that Buckles transfer exception would be based on FIU's APR issues and not related to a relative illness. Joey King's exception request has been tied to a family illness situation. This ruling may mean more relative to King's approval.

It is my understanding that Buckles transfer exception would be based on FIU's APR issues and not related to a relative illness. Joey King's exception request has been tied to a family illness situation. This ruling may mean more relative to King's approval.

I don't think this ruling will affect either one. This ruling turns, sadly and crazily enough, on the fact that the relatives were dead rather than sick. NCAA reg's only allow waiver for caring for "sick" relative, not grieving relative of somebody already dead. NCAA has a real slippery slope problem with these waivers.

It actually doesn't impact King as this player, Okoro, would transfer home to be close to his remaining relatives who are all, presumably, healthy(it sounds kinda callus when I read that out loud). King is transferring home to be near a currently sick relative.

Just really dumb NCAA rules strike again. They need to have a common sense provision. Like in this cause where a normal person would say of course this player should be able to transfer home after losing 2 family members.

Yeah, I didn't mean that it made me worried about Buckles due to the specific circumstances, just from the angle that the board that determines these waivers can be just silly sometimes.

Yeah, I didn't mean that it made me worried about Buckles due to the specific circumstances, just from the angle that the board that determines these waivers can be just silly sometimes.

I fully agree with you on that point. Nothing is certain with the NCAA

As you guys have touched on, the exception is geared toward sick immediate families for which there is going to be ongoing care needed. "I need to be closer to home because I may need to help"... now, are there a ton of things that may need to be handled when family members pass? Of course.

You feel bad for the kid, but I wouldn't vilify the NCAA (arguably aka the member schools) on this one. "A death in the family should mean a kid can skip the residency requirements that others face" as a general rule isn't a good one. Each case can be looked at individually as this one was. The true specifics of the argument and the consideration/reasoning by the NCAA are unknown -- but a process is there to look at situations such as these... I'd like to better understand these unknowns, but they won't be released... just don't have enough information to say the NCAA was unreasonable and awful in this case.

Well hopefully there's enough of uproar like with the marine and the NCAA reverses their ruling

Why didn't he transfer in January after his father died and before his brother died?

Top Bottom