NCAA APPROVED PRACTICES

Just how voluntary do you think these practices will be?
Very, since there are only so many hours you can practice with coaches. That is why it is so important for players to work on exactly what the staff has told them all offseason and that those things were taught the right way and were the right things. That way when you get time with the team and time with the coach your getting team things done. That is one thing Knight stressed and he tied it into recruiting tireless workers. Then, after having them together for years they developed into a cohesive team. We need our guys together desperately .

The NCAA has no control. This vote was 100% symbolic.

The actual entities that have control, for the UMN are: the Big Ten, the UMN, and the state of Minnesota.

The NCAA has no control. This vote was 100% symbolic.

The actual entities that have control, for the UMN are: the Big Ten, the UMN, and the state of Minnesota.
Not for how many kids can be together and how many hours coaches can coach. That is a NCAA thing.

Not for how many kids can be together and how many hours coaches can coach. That is a NCAA thing.
The NCAA is nothing more than a symbolic arm of the will of universities themselves. The board and council, that actually makes decisions, is nothing more than sub-sets of presidents, athletic directors, and commissioners.

It's not at all as if schools "elect" NCAA leaders, who then decide on rules, etc. Mark Emmert literally has no seat at the table, when it comes to decisions and votes. He's just a figurehead. The rest of the NCAA is just tournament organizers and logistics planners.

Actually there are universal NCAA rules restricting practice hours. It is a violation. Ask pitino if they are mandated by the university on how often he can work with how many or if it is the NCAA. When kids are recruited they are told what those restrictions are and told the importance of getting a lot done on your own.

Actually there are universal NCAA rules restricting practice hours. It is a violation. Ask pitino if they are mandated by the university on how often he can work with how many or if it is the NCAA. When kids are recruited they are told what those restrictions are and told the importance of getting a lot done on your own.
Like I said it is nothing more than a symbolic arm of the will of the universities.

I've proven my point correctly: universities don't elect representatives to make votes and decisions. They make all the decisions directly themselves. NCAA is nothing more than a legal framework to enact those decisions (as well as a logistics planning unit for championship tournaments).

Word it however you want, live with your point all you want. Coaches vote on these issues and the NCAA adopts them as rules. Rules that coaches follow for good reason. Without them you would have some teams doing two a days every days because the school and coach wanted them too and other schools that did not want too and did not have the facilities to do so. The point is you can not practice whenever you want too . The president at the U can not decide to let the Gopher basketball team whenever he wants. The NCAA has sanctioned coaches and programs for a violation of this. Like it or not.

Word it however you want, live with your point all you want. Coaches vote on these issues and the NCAA adopts them as rules. Rules that coaches follow for good reason. Without them you would have some teams doing two a days every days because the school and coach wanted them too and other schools that did not want too and did not have the facilities to do so. The point is you can not practice whenever you want too . The president at the U can not decide to let the Gopher basketball team whenever he wants. The NCAA has sanctioned coaches and programs for a violation of this. Like it or not.
Coaches don't vote on anything.

Presidents, athletic directors, and conference commissioners make the decisions. Coaches have input.

Silly non-example of trying to say the UMN president could decide to let the bball team "do anything". That isn't an actual example of anything. One president has no power. It's a bloc of school presidents that vote.

That's what the NCAA is. Fact. I've educated you now. Will you take in the new objectively correct knowledge? Maybe not.

Coaches don't vote on anything.

Presidents, athletic directors, and conference commissioners make the decisions. Coaches have input.

Silly non-example of trying to say the UMN president could decide to let the bball team "do anything". That isn't an actual example of anything. One president has no power. It's a bloc of school presidents that vote.

That's what the NCAA is. Fact. I've educated you now. Will you take in the new objectively correct knowledge? Maybe not.
Coaches actually vote on several issues at the coaches convention and then it goes through the channels. To say coaches do not vote on anything is patently false. I never said that made it a rule but the president of the coaches association takes this vote, recruiting, transfers, even the shot clock reduction-coaches voted. I do agree that coaches do not get to make the rules, that the presidents use the NCAA as a governing arm. Perhaps it is semantics at how we look at things with our bias. I CERTAINLY HAVE MINE.

Last edited:

Coaches convention? So what? That is not the NCAA.

Any other random things that don't matter to the NCAA that you want to bring up?

As I said, coaches have input. They don't get to vote in the NCAA. At least not in DI, I have no idea (nor do I care) about DII or DIII. But assume it is similar.

Coaches convention? So what? That is not the NCAA.

Any other random things that don't matter to the NCAA that you want to bring up?

As I said, coaches have input. They don't get to vote in the NCAA. At least not in DI, I have no idea (nor do I care) about DII or DIII. But assume it is similar.
No, the thread was about the practice time approved and allowed by NCAA rules. Again, if you want to say so what to the coaches convention that is your right and to think it has nothing to do with the NCAA is not reality. Who do you think hosts it and has representation on committees . Have you been to the coaches convention ?

No, the thread was about the practice time approved and allowed by NCAA rules. Again, if you want to say so what to the coaches convention that is your right and to think it has nothing to do with the NCAA is not reality. Who do you think hosts it and has representation on committees . Have you been to the coaches convention ?
As I said, correctly, multiple times, coaches do not vote in the NCAA. They have input with their athletic directors, conference commissioners, and presidents, who do vote.

Choose to be willfully ignorant, as you please.

As I said, correctly, multiple times, coaches do not vote in the NCAA. They have input with their athletic directors, conference commissioners, and presidents, who do vote.

Choose to be willfully ignorant, as you please.
As i said, think what you want. I will not insult you for it.

Top Bottom