NC schedule idea

Art Vandelay

Banned
Reaction score
6 teams meet in Des Moines on the first or second Saturday in December for a tripleheader.

B1G teams: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska
Big 12 teams: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State

2pm: Minnesota vs. Kansas
5pm: Nebraska vs. Iowa State
8pm: Iowa vs. Kansas State

Rotate opponents each year and you obviously wouldn't play one of the other 2 teams in your conference.

Heck, throw in mid-majors Creighton and Northern Iowa and make it an 8 team quadruple header. Call it the Heartland Classic.

12:00pm: Minnesota vs. Creighton
2:30pm: Nebraska vs. Kansas State
8:00pm: Iowa State vs. Northern Iowa
8:00pm: Kansas vs. Iowa

Obviously some of these teams already play each other in NC every year so you work around it. Does Des Moines have an arena to accomodate 15,000 people?

Kansas, only if ESPN broadcasts the games. They would leave too much money on the table if it had to be on some second tier network. Good idea though.

If Kansas thinks they're "too cool" just get Mizzou, Drake, Southern Illinois, or even St. Louis. Any one of these is better than watching Mount St. Mary's or Fairfield Inn.

This idea or some variation of it has to have been discussed right? I guess you're right, TV is the big question mark since the BTN doesn't do NC neutral site or road games.

Make it a 2 day event with 2 games each year - if that can be done without it be considered a tournament.

Art, we have the fairly new Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines which seasts 16,110 for basketball (home of the NBADL champion Iowa Energy). Tomorrow, Creighton and Iowa are playing at the Arena and I believe last year Creighton played Iowa State there. The only issue I have with your idea is that these are essentially home games for Iowa/ISU and I am sure all of the teams involved in your proposal would want the games to rotate the games for both competitive and economic reasons. Maybe Wells Fargo Arena one year, The X another year, and Kansas City the next?

Well Art, the problem with your plan is that you won't get 6 BCS teams to agree to do this, or else you won't get someone to organize it. The only event that I can think of that is even remotely similar is the new series MSU, UK, Kansas and Duke started this year with a double-header to rotate between different major cities and rotate teams over the next 3 years. And clearly those schools are in a class above the ones you're talking about, with fanbases that organizers know will travel well for basketball.

There must be a reason things like this haven't happened before, and that reason is $.

The NCAA needs to step in and mandate that all major conference bb teams must schedule 2 home and 2 away games with teams from other major conferences. I hate preconference tourneys without the home court atmoshperes and I hate teams scheduling all cupcake non-conference games to pad their win records.

The NCAA needs to step in and mandate that all major conference bb teams must schedule 2 home and 2 away games with teams from other major conferences. I hate preconference tourneys without the home court atmoshperes and I hate teams scheduling all cupcake non-conference games to pad their win records.

This is a great idea that would create fan interest, but I think the key issue is that major conference teams don't want to give up home NC games and the revenue they provide. The one NC tournament teams can play in are in addition to the set number of NC games allowed.

This is the best idea that AV has ever had here on GH. Unfortunately it is not gonna happen.

Who would spend any time in Des Moines unless one needed to go to The Cave?

This idea or some variation of it has to have been discussed right? I guess you're right, TV is the big question mark since the BTN doesn't do NC neutral site or road games.

Hasn't the BTN broadcasted the Chicago Challenge or whatever it's called? I remember Purdue v. Richmond and I think Iowa State and Notre Dame were playing maybe Northwestern one year.

The BTN just did a neutral-site game yesterday, Creighton vs. Iowa. They've done others in the past, too.

I like Art's idea, though. I'm not opposed to the Gophers playing a (quality) neutral-site game within driving distance of the Twin Cities.

Top Bottom