NC Five Stars

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
I was curious about which schools get the 5 star players (about 32 players per year). Looked at the past few years; very few surprises. Many 5 star players, often ready to start day 1, declare early and get drafted. Again not a surprise. In the 2020 HS recruiting class, seven of the top 10 HS recruits are already in the NFL. The only oddball situation is TE Arik Gilbert (10th in nation), who committed to LSU, transferred to Georgia and has now transferred to Nebraska (awaiting an eligibility waiver).

For some reason, I feel good about our chances against North Carolina, as if it should be in the "toss-up' category. But NC certainly occupies a higher recruiting tranche than the Gophers. NC had two 5 stars in its '22 class, which ranked 11th in the nation (an OT and DL, both still on the team) and two 5 stars in its '21 class, which ranked 14th (one, Drake Maye, QB, is a Heisman candidate, the other, a DL, transferred to Kentucky). For those hoping against hope for a top ten recruiting class for the Gophers some day, it is pretty clear that top 10 status is essentially impossible unless you pull in a couple of 5 star players (who often come with monetary, playing time and leisure expectations not aligned with PJ's culture). Anyhow ...

There is no doubt that the Gophers are a developmental program, and PJ is a coach who, over time, is able to do more with less. I'm hoping that NC, which gets its share of HS superstars, is one of those programs that finds a way to do less with more. Go Gophers.

Last edited:

The Gophers always seem short of one or two game-changer players. They don't have to be five stars. Just close.

There is still time left in the final Big Ten West season for miracles to happen. Gopher NIL guys, help make this happen.

Last edited:

The main difference between MN and NC is Drake Maye

The main difference? Really?

I guess you're not impressed with Athan Kaliakmanis...?

I'd say the main difference between MN and NC is defense. After all, Minnesota was ranked #9 (nationally) in total defense, and North Carolina was ranked #116.

From #9 to #116: I'd call that a very, very big difference.

I'd say the main difference between MN and NC is defense. After all, Minnesota was ranked #9 (nationally) in total defense, and North Carolina was ranked #116.

That was last year. Doesn’t mean jack shxx this year. Sorry

I do like AK. But to put him in the same league with Maye is ludicrous at this point.

So I assume you’re predicting an easy gopher W then right?

I do like AK. But to put him in the same league with Maye is ludicrous at this point.

I make no predictions.

I think the main difference between Minnesota and North Carolina is Minnesota's outstanding defense. It's an even bigger difference, in my opinion, than the difference between the two QBs.

I make no predictions.

I think the main difference between Minnesota and North Carolina is Minnesota's outstanding defense. It's an even bigger difference, in my opinion, than the difference between the two QBs.
That’s fair. I feel if the QBs were reversed the Gophs would be 6-8 point favorites on the road.

To each their own.

That’s fair. I feel if the QBs were reversed the Gophs would be 6-8 point favorites on the road.

To each their own.

I agree, to each their own.

One thing: the point spread, as I understand it, is not meant to be a predictor of an outcome. I'm told it's set at a number that makes it more likely that the wagering on each team will be equally balanced. If the bets are not lopsided for one team or the other, the vigorish they collect ensures a healthy profit for the bookmakers.

Or so I'm told... I don't bet on sports. I'm lousy at predicting the future.

Sorry if I sound like Mr. Spock or Cliff Clavin.

I am. Easy win. AK plus our RBs will tear them up. Drake is very good but not unstoppable. We will contain him.

I’d say it was more QB play than defense?

I make no predictions.

To each their own.
I think there's a little to both of your arguments. The biggest thing about the game last week was the qb play. The defense kept us in it and in a position to win if only the qb could've gotten the ball where it needed to be. So yes, the defense was hugely important and was a significant factor between the two teams. However, our poor qb play kept the defense on the field far longer than it ever should have been when there were regularly open receivers but they were overshot or dropped passes. Defense also rarely scores.

I'm of the opinion that a ball control qb who had some touch to his passes a la Morgan/Cupito would've led us to a win. We didn't need an all star at qb who could throw it all over the field, we needed to grind clock and do what we do best, rush the ball and hit them with well timed play action passes and short routes. The whole game went ass over teakettle when BSF deflected the ball into the dback's hands on the first drive. We were moving. That turnover sucked all the energy out of the offense and put us behind the 8 ball.

I’d say it was more QB play than defense?

You were clearly correct, and I was dead wrong.

Of course like everyone else I knew Maye was good, but I have to admit I was surprised by just how impressive he looked. And I was equally or maybe even more surprised by how poorly Kaliakmanis played.

I really thought Athan would be farther along at this point, after seeing him pick apart Wisconsin at the end of last season. North Carolina has a talented team, but no one has ever rated their defense very highly. I thought our strong running game and Kaliakmanis' talent would lead to the Gophers making a really strong showing.

As I said, I was wrong about that. It was a very disappointing outcome.

Last edited:

I make no predictions.

North Carolina has a decent defense, they have a truly elite QB.

The differences in how the defenses looked was primarily due to one team having a great QB and one team having a decent QB (who struggled that game). That North Carolina defense gave up 500 yards, over 30 first downs, and 34 points against App State the previous week. At the end of the year, they will finish with about a middle of the road, slightly better than average defense. We will likely finish with slightly better stats, but I'll concede that their defense is likely a little better than ours. However, at the end of the year, they will finish with a top 10 NFL draft pick QB who puts up gaudy numbers. We will not have anywhere near that production at QB.

The delta between Athan and Maye is exponentially larger than the delta between our defenses. It's not even close.

If you swapped Maye for Athan, we are contending for the Big 10 title and a top 15 team in the country.

If we swapped defenses, we'd be about the same as we are now.

We would also have to switch the offensive lines.

I thought the Gopher offensive line played well.

Gophers offense had 31 carries for 170 yards (5.4 yds/att)

Tar Heels offense had 37 carries for 105 yards (2.8 yds/att)

Gopher defense sacked Maye twice and hit and/or pressured him several times.

Gopher offensive line only allowed one sack.

The problem was not the offensive line.

You were clearly correct, and I was dead wrong.

Of course like everyone else I knew Maye was good, but I have to admit I was surprised by just how impressive he looked. And I was equally or maybe even more surprised by how poorly Kaliakmanis played.

I really thought Athan would be farther along at this point, after seeing him pick apart Wisconsin at the end of last season. North Carolina has a talented team, but no one has ever rated their defense very highly. I thought our strong running game and Kaliakmanis' talent would lead to the Gophers making a really strong showing.

As I said, I was wrong about that. It was a very disappointing outcome.
We’re all wrong plenty around here lol. Myself more than others.

We’re all wrong plenty around here lol. Myself more than others.

You're being gracious. That's classy.

On this one, I wouldn't have blamed you if you'd chosen to gloat instead. You really nailed it, and my hat's off.

I’m wrong all the time. Which is why I don’t do pick ‘ems anymore.

I have found that I'm terrible at predicting the future.

Every now and again, I feel a temptation to place a small bet on this or that game. Then I remember the words of my late father:

"Never bet on sports. And, if you do bet, never, never, never bet on or against your own team, because you're too emotionally invested to be truly rational".

You were right, Dad. I can't see the Gophers in an objective way. They're my team.

Top Bottom