Nate Sandell's notebook: Gophers hope to show more fine-tuning in next game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sandell:

• Slow starts continue to be a problem for the offense. It took the Gophers until their fourth drive before getting on the scoreboard against Eastern Illinois, putting up only 19 yards off 10 plays in their first three drives.

In 27 games since the start of 2012, the Gophers have scored only 16 total points on their first possession (one touchdown, three field goals). Last season, nine Minnesota opening drives lasted four or fewer plays and totaled less than 11 yards. Since 2012, the Gophers have failed to score on their first three possessions 13 times. They are 5-8 in those games (three of those wins came during their nonconference slate).

Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover acknowledges the issue and continues to stress the point to the offense.

"That's always the challenge," Limegrover said. "We're looking at different things always. We script up a series of starts, series of plays, saying, 'Here is what we really feel is going to be successful, how they're going to react.' You want to make sure the guys feel comfortable with it."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...pe_to_show_more_finetuning_in_next_game090414

Go Gophers!!

1 opening drive TD in 27 games is terrible.

Somehow, there were 3 opening drive TDs in 2011.

Worse than terrible, it's embarrassing. Some of the teams were very bad teams. They need to show up at opening kick-off. It is a bad and continuing trend that needs to change. That's on the coaches.

The one game we scored was against Indiana and we started that game with a flea flicker. I'd be curious to see if a trick play like that might get the offense out of its early game funk.

The one game we scored was against Indiana and we started that game with a flea flicker. I'd be curious to see if a trick play like that might get the offense out of its early game funk.

I wish I had an answer. The opening drive TDs in 2011 were against NDSU, Northwestern, and Michigan State.

Open the game in Ann Arbor that way and it will be all over by the start of the second quarter in favor of the Maize & Blue. Get with it Limegrover!

Open the game in Ann Arbor that way and it will be all over by the start of the second quarter in favor of the Maize & Blue. Get with it Limegrover!

They did start that way last year and were tied at the start of the second quarter.

They did start that way last year and were tied at the start of the second quarter.

Final score: Michigan 42 Minnesita 13. My Gopher's offense didn't score nearly enough in the opening quarter of that game.

Two years ago: Michigan 58 Minesota 0. That offense is a problem. Get with It Coach Limegrover.

I don't think Mitch really knows how to get us in the right play at the line of scrimmage. I don't think Philip did either.

Limegrover needs to empower these kids and give them some freedom to change things up. We start every play in one formation, do the wholesale shift, then run the play. This system does have advantages, but our quarterbacks aren't really learning on the fly. Against these FCS schools, we should be running the ball down their throat every first drive.

I don't think Mitch really knows how to get us in the right play at the line of scrimmage. I don't think Philip did either.

You bring up a good point. It would be great to see Mitch make the necessary adjustment when the defense tips their hand. Maybe Limegrover doesn't give him that freedom. I can't remember the last time we saw the offense audible at the LOS.

What do we think the conference average is for "scoring TD on the opening drive"? 1 out of 4?

What do we think the conference average is for "scoring TD on the opening drive"? 1 out of 4?

Last year:

Illinois had opening drives that resulted in 2 TDs as well as 2 FGs.
Indiana had opening drives that resulted in 4 TDs and 1 FG
Purdue had opening drives that resulted in 3 TDs
Minnesota had opening drives that resulted in 1 TD and 1 FG

I semi-randomly grabbed these teams, I didn't think it was fair to compare us to the Wis/OSU/MSU type of teams.

I'll be a lot more concerned that they aren't putting up more points on offense and being more explosive when they actually have a QB with significant experience starting games and they still have a hard time scoring points. The QB position since Kill got here has been less than stable, to put it mildly.

That being said, I'm starting to have some long-term concerns about the position. If either Leidner or Streveler (or player yet to be named) doesn't step up their game significantly by the end of the season, giving fans a warm and fuzzy feeling about the position moving forward, it will NOT be good.

Top Bottom