Nate Mason

DeathClutch

Reaction score
Is it me, or does he look quicker than he was in his first two years? He also looks a bit leaner as well. Anyways, he has had a very nice start to the season. He is currently the Big Ten assists leader and I expect him to be near the top all season. I was looking at some numbers, and if he can average 5 assists per game, over the next two seasons, he can become only the second player in school history to eclipse the 500 assist mark.

A good reporter would have mentioned who was number one.:)

Mason has continued to impress me too. The Gophers recruited a bunch of point guards the year they signed Mason. I remember Ryan James was a big fan but Mason clearly wasn't the Gophers first choice. I was curious how some of the other targets panned out. Obviously it isn't an apples to apples comparison given different supporting casts, different systems, etc. However, Mason certainly compares favorably to some of our other targets at the time. My apologies for pulling the very basic stats for those on the board that favor the more in-depth statistics.

Quentin Snider (Louisville) 70 games played, 6.5 PPG, 0.374 FG%, 2.4 APG, 0.5 SPG
Ja'Quan Newton (Miami) 68 games played, 7.4 PPG, 0.445 FG%, 2.0 APG, 0.6 SPG
Kaleb Joseph (Syracuse) 49 games played, 4.1 PPG, 0.349 FG%, 2.7 APG, 0.7 SPG
Josh Perkins (Gonzaga) 43 games played, 9.6 PPG, 0.438 FG%, 3.9 APG, 1.2 SPG
Tum Tum (Michigan State) 71 games played, 2.4 PPG, 0.351 FG%, 2.9 APG, 0.3 SPG

Nate Mason (Minnesota) 65 games played, 11.7 PPG, 0.398 FG%, 3.8 APG, 1.4 SPG

Mason has continued to impress me too. The Gophers recruited a bunch of point guards the year they signed Mason. I remember Ryan James was a big fan but Mason clearly wasn't the Gophers first choice. I was curious how some of the other targets panned out. Obviously it isn't an apples to apples comparison given different supporting casts, different systems, etc. However, Mason certainly compares favorably to some of our other targets at the time. My apologies for pulling the very basic stats for those on the board that favor the more in-depth statistics.

Quentin Snider (Louisville) 70 games played, 6.5 PPG, 0.374 FG%, 2.4 APG, 0.5 SPG
Ja'Quan Newton (Miami) 68 games played, 7.4 PPG, 0.445 FG%, 2.0 APG, 0.6 SPG
Kaleb Joseph (Syracuse) 49 games played, 4.1 PPG, 0.349 FG%, 2.7 APG, 0.7 SPG
Josh Perkins (Gonzaga) 43 games played, 9.6 PPG, 0.438 FG%, 3.9 APG, 1.2 SPG
Tum Tum (Michigan State) 71 games played, 2.4 PPG, 0.351 FG%, 2.9 APG, 0.3 SPG

Nate Mason (Minnesota) 65 games played, 11.7 PPG, 0.398 FG%, 3.8 APG, 1.4 SPG

That was a fun offseason hoping we would get each of those others you listed. Mason was a very nice get at the time and reminded me a ton of Justin Cobbs when we were recruiting him. However, I remember being very dissapointed when we didn't get each of the other guys and agree we "settled" on Mason. I'm very glad we did looking back as his pull up from the free throw line extended is my favorite thing to watch.

Is it me, or does he look quicker than he was in his first two years? He also looks a bit leaner as well. Anyways, he has had a very nice start to the season. He is currently the Big Ten assists leader and I expect him to be near the top all season. I was looking at some numbers, and if he can average 5 assists per game, over the next two seasons, he can become only the second player in school history to eclipse the 500 assist mark.

I've always thought he has been pretty quick, two years ago D'Angelo Russel torched Andre Hollins in the first half at the barn, he couldn't keep up with Russel, they switched Mason to cover Russel at the end of the first half and he didn't score much after that, Mason was that much quicker than Hollins.

It looks like the game has slowed down for him. He's more patient and he's worked on his shot from the top of the key.

IDK about you guys but I keep getting Andre Hollins and Nate Mason confused. I mean, I know they are separate individuals and everything. But Mason reminds me so much of Hollins: both being combo guards and both being great shooters.

The reason I get confused, mostly though, is that I keep thinking Mason was the player who suffered that awful ankle injury, even though it was Hollins.

So every time I see Mason make a move to the rim, I'm always like, "Wow he looks way healthier this season."

Obviously Mason has never dealt with that bad injury, but good to see him improving nonetheless

I'm not sure about quicker, but definitely better. He is a calming presence on the team. I didn't think at first that he would really develop into a pure point (more of a combo), but he is proving me wrong and doing a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom