Name some good pro-style coaching candidate

Rosemountian

Reaction score
I'll start and end the discussion.

Harbaugh

Simply put, because so many in the nation are moving to the spread, there are not many good pro-style coaches out there.
Gopher fans and Spread haters better prepare for the spread, because it is likely coming in some form.

What about Mullen at MSU? He wins by running the ball and playing defense.

What about Mullen at MSU? He wins by running the ball and playing defense.

Dan Mullen is running the spread. He ran it as Urban Meyer's assistant at Bowling Green, Utah, and Florida. In fact, the Florida offense hasn't been the same since Dan Mullen left.

I'd love for Dan Mullen to get the Gopher job and run his version of the spread.

There are some teams running the pro style offense pretty effectively. None of them are really coaches that seem to have jumped on to our radar, but Michigan St. runs a pro style offense, Oregon St (to an extent), Alabama is run first, but they are pretty conventional, etc.

Also, is Boise St. that far removed from a pro-style offense?

There are some teams running the pro style offense pretty effectively. None of them are really coaches that seem to have jumped on to our radar, but Michigan St. runs a pro style offense, Oregon St (to an extent), Alabama is run first, but they are pretty conventional, etc.

Also, is Boise St. that far removed from a pro-style offense?

If by far removed from pro-style you mean considered by many a version of the spread, then yes.

What is your deal with offensive schemes? I don't care what we run as long as it is effective. One type of offense isn't necessarily better than another. Any offense can work with the right personnel and good execution.
________
New Mexico Marijuana Dispensaries

What is your deal with offensive schemes? I don't care what we run as long as it is effective. One type of offense isn't necessarily better than another. Any offense can work with the right personnel and good execution.

I think it's because we were burned by Dunbar's pure spread that didn't have one power running play in the book. I would like to see us play a pro-style with a mixture of formations including some spread, simply because I want our offense to be able to take advantage of any defensive weaknesses we play against. Granted we may not be able to recruit to fill the expanded playbook, but it's what I'd like to see.

By labeling the offense and constricting the players and your own play calling you essentially paint yourself into a corner. You become so obsessed with following the system that you lose sight of what is really important. Being effective and in the end winning.

This craze of labeling the type of offense to be run was started by Brewster and everyone can see where that got him. This pro-style offense obsession was another downfall of a completely ineffective coaching staff.

Brewster was so obsessed with establishing his pro style offense that he completely forgot about the purpose of his employment: win football games.

I hope the coach that comes in is able to win games first of all. Secondly, when it comes to offense I hope the coach is able to adapt to the circumstances. There is nothing wrong with running an offense with pro-style elements, spread elements and elements of any other offense that will put players in position to be effective and in turn win games.

Is this an easy task? No, this is not an easy task. The coach needs to find ways to incorporate these elements into one seamless offense. You can run a minimal amount of plays but out of many different formations and use motion to get into those plays. One example of using all of these elements effectively is running traditional pro-style plays out of a spread formation or vice versa.

If by far removed from pro-style you mean considered by many a version of the spread, then yes.

I understand that some people call it a version of a spread, but I think that is flat out wrong. I think they are more of a pro set than a spread. They power run the ball out of the I formation a lot, use the TEs a lot, play action pass, spread it out on passing situations.

I guess I don't see how they are much different than a lot of offenses in the pros.

Ron Jeremy. The ultimate in Pro-Style. He can coach me any day.

I understand that some people call it a version of a spread, but I think that is flat out wrong. I think they are more of a pro set than a spread. They power run the ball out of the I formation a lot, use the TEs a lot, play action pass, spread it out on passing situations.

I guess I don't see how they are much different than a lot of offenses in the pros.

It is a more spread-out version of the west coast offense. They are not exclusively spread no.

I don't have a deal with offensive schemes. I have a deal with people who say the gophers HAVE to run one particular scheme. I am with you.

I am of the opinion that the gophers will bring in a coach that is a spread guy. I do not necessarily think that is the way to go. They need to get the right guy.

The point of this thread is that there simply not a lot of pro-style coaches available at the present time.

I'll start and end the discussion.

Harbaugh

Simply put, because so many in the nation are moving to the spread, there are not many good pro-style coaches out there.
Gopher fans and Spread haters better prepare for the spread, because it is likely coming in some form.

He is the light, the alpha and omega. Out of nothing he created the darkness and the light. He makes TouchDown Jesus look like the pagan god he is.

I hope the U does anything they can to get Harbaugh. Bellotti would be interesting, as during his time at Oregon he ran a pro-style O for a long time, and then switched to the spread when he hired Kelly. Those are the two guys I want above all others (with Harbaugh a clear #1)

Amother coach that is good with the pro style offense is Howard Schnellenberger.

I found it interesting to look at the BigTen Media release for this week and see how many of the teams list their offense as Multiple as far as style. It was the majority, although Bucky was listed as Multiple (one and two back sets) or something.

Top Bottom