Name a Gopher you thought would be really good, but wasnt

Lawrence Westbrook

He had a fine career for us...but I remembered reading Sid Hartmans' columns and every time there was a note about him it would be how he was averaging 50 ppg in high school or had just scored 75 points in a game or something like that. I thought he was just a total stud and would come in and dominate.

I was convinced Michael Bauer would be the next Sam Jacobson. He had some injuries that didn't help, but he became a kid that only wanted to shoot 3s and completely lost his willingness and ability to attack the rim and play above the rim.

Go Gophers!!

Wally Ellenson. I remember seeing him and Charles Buggs at Midnight Madness prior to their freshman season and thought they were both very impressive and would have excellent careers with the Gophers.

It's always going to be Bostick for me

Michael Hurt. 6'8", could shoot 3s, well regarded locally and nationally. Oops!

I was convinced Michael Bauer would be the next Sam Jacobson. He had some injuries that didn't help, but he became a kid that only wanted to shoot 3s and completely lost his willingness and ability to attack the rim and play above the rim.

Go Gophers!!
He did fall in love with the 3 pointer

Washington would be the most recent one. Sampson wasn't bad but I thought he was going to be a lot better than he ended up being.
I think the deal with Sampson was he started off better than most thought he would be. But never got better.

Adam Boone
Ralph Sampson
Colton Iverson (altho he blossomed at Colorado St)
Devoe Joseph (same story)
Shane Schilling
Mo Hargrow (altho he had his moments)

I don't think it's fair to list Rodney Williams here as a few of you have. Maybe he had a slightly disappointing career, but he was definitely an above average starter as both a junior and senior.

Adam Boone
Ralph Sampson
Colton Iverson (altho he blossomed at Colorado St)
Devoe Joseph (same story)
Shane Schilling
Mo Hargrow (altho he had his moments)

I don't think it's fair to list Rodney Williams here as a few of you have. Maybe he had a slightly disappointing career, but he was definitely an above average starter as both a junior and senior.
Schilling is a good one. Forgot about him.

Top Bottom