Myron on Royce, recruiting, Lunardi Q&A, Purdue, etc.

Damian Johnson said Tuesday that some of the Gophers think the Boilermakers are overhyped, although he gave them credit for being a "good team.

I probably wouldn't have gone there VIP LOL.

Probably not the best time for a Gopher player to tell a local beat writer that he and some of his teammates think Purdue is "overhyped". DJ, what were you thinking? No need to add more incentive for a Boiler team that already has enough fuel (potential Big 10 title, #1 seed) heading into the The Barn. The boys better be prepared to back up their co-captain's words.

Thanks for the bulletin board material, Damian!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

As bulletin board material goes, that's pretty weak. If Purdue needs that to get motivated, we have a good chance. Plus, I believe the whole concept is over-blown in sports other then football. What are they going to do, get angry, come and play more physical? That may mean silly charging fouls, etc.

Not gonna lie though, I like that kind of stuff, I think they're just trying to show they're not scared to bring it to them. The team is gonna be focused tomorrow, that's for sure.

As bulletin board material goes, that's pretty weak. If Purdue needs that to get motivated, we have a good chance.
Never said they needed it, but it certainly can't hurt Purdue.

The games have been real intense for a few weeks now, and while I don't think Purdue will overlook Minnesota, a letdown could happen. Anything that reduces that chance is okay by me.

Didn't see anything new in Myrin's blog, but... I have one comment on the big Canadian kid Mo Walker that Myrun mentions...

Yesterday his dad said the plan is to cut down the list as early as this week, which includes zero Big Ten teams and a ton of Big East teams (for all you BEast haters that have been whining today). Marquette, Pitt, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. John's all on it currently.. South Florida also showing some interest, along with Oregon State and Memphis.

The family wants him to stay reasonably close to home... not a bad plane trip to the Twin Cities from Toronto, but if I was a 2010 center, I'm not sure Minnesota would look like an ideal setup to me. Things can certainly change, but I expect to see Maurice in the Big East.

Maj Majok would seem unlikely as well, as discussed in another thread... and Haynes is 'risky', IMO. Duke is actually looking at the kid... he was at the Virginia Tech / Duke game on Sunday.

Plenty of time for names to surface.

DJ

Mr. Johnson,

I fully expect a close game, a game Minnesota very well could win.

However:

When was the last time the Gophers won at OSU?

When was the last time the Gophers won at MSU?

When was the last time the Gophers won at Illinois?

Purdue has won all 3 of those road games in the past month.

Overhyped? C'mon man.

Mr. Johnson,

I fully expect a close game, a game Minnesota very well could win.

However:

When was the last time the Gophers won at OSU?

When was the last time the Gophers won at MSU?

When was the last time the Gophers won at Illinois?

Purdue has won all 3 of those road games in the past month.

Overhyped? C'mon man.

I think we all know the comment was probably inaccurate lol. Guys say things like that all the time to show they're not gonna just roll aside and let them walk in here and take a win without a big time fight. Just gotta make sure the moxie shown through words is shown through skill on tomorrow night.

Probably not the best time for a Gopher player to tell a local beat writer that he and some of his teammates think Purdue is "overhyped". DJ, what were you thinking? No need to add more incentive for a Boiler team that already has enough fuel (potential Big 10 title, #1 seed) heading into the The Barn. The boys better be prepared to back up their co-captain's words.

Shouldn't have said it... and I would have rather seen Myron save it for the post game story.

The Royce update was worthless, he probably has people 'close to him' telling him to go to Europe or try to latch on to a D-League squad as well.

I agree. Damian should not have said that in front of a reporter, but also Myron needs to use a little more common sense, tread a little lighter than that when you're the beat writer for a major sports team. Bottom line is Myron IS NOT a columnist, even though he can act like one in his blog. If Myron's intent was to get his "bread and butter" (Tubby) pi*sed at him even more, and hence increase the chances Tubby will be less cooperative in the future, he likely succeeded in that regard. That said, I'd guess if there's any wrath (the Tubby stare) to be felt, Tubby would direct it more at DJ than Myron.

I would never speak for Jeff Shelman, an excellent beat writer who is sorely missed, but my hunch is in this situation he would have used a little more discretion with Damian's quote. Jeff (if he still posts here) can certainly correct me in my thinking if I'm wrong. Jeff's writing always emphasized substance over hyperbole.

Shouldn't have said it... and I would have rather seen Myron save it for the post game story.

Why in the world would he save it for a post game story? It's worthless to him in a post game story because the quote is most useful while discussing how the teams are feeling before the game. DJ said it and he said it to a reporter on the record. It got used. Odd how that works.

I just don't get the tread lightly thing. Frankly, I've always thought BB material was overrated. I agree, don't poke the beast. But in terms of bold statements this is awfully light anyhow.

I suppose if Myron deserves to be ragged for using the quote it would be for making it into its own bullet point. I don't think it matters that he used the quote but I would agree that he didn't need to highlight it so blatantly.

Wow have you ever heard of a beat writer for the team trying to give the other team bulletin board material. If i were tubby I would cut him off for the rest of the year for this dumb move. Myron seems to lack all journalistic instincts that good sports writers have. Developing good relationships is a key for a beat writer.

G E'Twaun Moore (Purdue)

G Evan Turner (Ohio State), Big Ten Player of the Year

G Talor Battle (Penn State)

F Robbie Hummel (Purdue)

F DeShawn Sims (Michigan)

Other possibilities: C JaJuan Johnson (Purdue), G Demetri McCamey (Illinois)

No Kalin Lucas?

Myron Not in Same League as Shelman

I agree. Damian should not have said that in front of a reporter, but also Myron needs to use a little more common sense, tread a little lighter than that when you're the beat writer for a major sports team. Bottom line is Myron IS NOT a columnist, even though he can act like one in his blog. If Myron's intent was to get his "bread and butter" (Tubby) pi*sed at him even more, and hence increase the chances Tubby will be less cooperative in the future, he likely succeeded in that regard. That said, I'd guess if there's any wrath (the Tubby stare) to be felt, Tubby would direct it more at DJ than Myron.

I would never speak for Jeff Shelman, an excellent beat writer who is sorely missed, but my hunch is in this situation he would have used a little more discretion with Damian's quote. Jeff (if he still posts here) can certainly correct me in my thinking if I'm wrong. Jeff's writing always emphasized substance over hyperbole.

You are understating the case here. Myron is a rumor-monger, bad writer and definitely no respected journalist. He couldn't carry Jeff Shelman's jock in the journalistic world. :banghead:

Not sure why DJ said that or why Myron wrote it, but does anyone else wonder why Purdue is ranked ahead of Syracuse? I haven't looked closely at their schedules, but I was surprised to see that. I realize it's only one spot, but still.

Not sure why DJ said that or why Myron wrote it, but does anyone else wonder why Purdue is ranked ahead of Syracuse? I haven't looked closely at their schedules, but I was surprised to see that. I realize it's only one spot, but still.
Because Syracuse lost more recently, and polls are useless.

We don't even know the exact words that DJ used. The fact that Myron didn't put "overhyped" in quote marks, tells me that Damian did NOT use that exact term. He may have said something like, "We know they're good, but we think they're beatable" (which is fine.) Myron may have taken some liberty and interpreted that as DJ thinks they're overhyped. Myron didn't "quote" DJ at all. We don't know DJ's exact words. Myron may be right on, but he may be stirring the pot. We just don't know because the hack couldn't even use DJ's own words when writing the blog.

Hopefully, DJ doesn't disappear tomorrow night after saying this. Here's hoping to a stat line that looks similar to this:

18-10-5-4-2 along with the most important stat, the W :D.

One can dream, right?

Here's what Damian said in Myron's article-

Senior co-captain Damian Johnson said Tuesday that he considers the Boilermakers to be a "good team," but undeserving of their recent hype. He said the Gophers can prove that they're worthy of a spot in the NCAA tourney with a win.

"They get pubbed up a lot and I just don't feel ... I feel like we're just as talented as them," he said. "In my opinion, they're a good team, but to me, they're not as talented as people believe."

Of Myron takes the last part of the quote and throws it up on his Twitter and now it's been retweeted about a million times from Purdue fans.

Well done Myron. Well done.

Myron must have missed the course that instructs journalists in the science of how to effect a positive influence on the court for 'big home games'. I hope his lack of education in this regard does not doom our chances tonight. ;)

Myron is a tool. I guess he never had any bread to butter in the first place, so he could care less.

He doesn't have to be a homer. But he genuinly almost seems to dislike them. He certainly relishes in running as many stories about the off-the-court stuff as possible. And how he does out of his way to not only use a quote he might have been nice enough to ignore, but put it out there is as misleading a way as possible. He has way to much columnist in his work and not nearly enough beat-writer.

Top Bottom