My take on Kills recruiting

Rog

Reaction score
So far not to many "star" commits, but why?

At Northern Ill. he had to and found kids who had undeveloped talent and then developed them. Kids who already had shown developed talent (usually at big time high schools) were the ones who received offers from big time U's. At northern he couldn't for the most part recruit against the "Big Time" schools, so he did what he had to do and he did it.

As he brings MN up to the "big time" schools he has to do pretty much what he had to do at Northern. As Mn starts to move up in the National Standings I beleive the 4 and maybe even the 5 star recruits will come. In the mean time he is going find those diamonds in the rough and make Football players out of them.

Change of heart

As long as these guys have the physical and mental ability to commit themselves to football, it should turn out well in the end. I like that some of the recruits have graduated early to come into school in Spring term. This is such a great benefit to themselves and the team that it can give them a leg up on their peers. Certainly, it can be disheartening to have a lack of offers from other schools. But, what the heck is a fan to do about that? I'll sing the Rouser one way or ta udder.

So far not to many "star" commits, but why?

At Northern Ill. he had to and found kids who had undeveloped talent and then developed them. Kids who already had shown developed talent (usually at big time high schools) were the ones who received offers from big time U's. At northern he couldn't for the most part recruit against the "Big Time" schools, so he did what he had to do and he did it.

As he brings MN up to the "big time" schools he has to do pretty much what he had to do at Northern. As Mn starts to move up in the National Standings I beleive the 4 and maybe even the 5 star recruits will come. In the mean time he is going find those diamonds in the rough and make Football players out of them.

I think a while back someone posted the pattern that Patterson at TCU followed with recruiting and stars. Kill is seeming to fit with that so far and IF he can win like Patterson, the higher star players will follow. I mention this because Kill has mentioned he talks with Patterson quite a bit.

Coach Kill's ability to retain his staff is a huge plus in building the program. And it had to help at NIU as well.

Who know how much better the current roster would be if they all played under the same HC and staff during their time at MN. Right now, other than those that were in Spring ball, all are pretty unfamiliar and in the ealry stages of learning Killball.

Coach Kill's ability to retain his staff is a huge plus in building the program. And it had to help at NIU as well.

Who know how much better the current roster would be if they all played under the same HC and staff during their time at MN. Right now, other than those that were in Spring ball, all are pretty unfamiliar and in the ealry stages of learning Killball.

+1 What was previously stated plus quality depth, especially in the trenches, will go a long ways.

With virtually all 2 stars, Kill produced a very solid team in 2010 at NIU. So now that Kill has about half 2 stars and half 3 stars to work with, Kill might eventually be able to produce perennial winners. The 2010 NIU team which was composed of nearly all 2 stars, in my opinion would have gone about 6-6 if they played the same schedule we did. So, now, that he has half 2 stars and half 3 stars, in 3+ years might we be looking at consistent 8-10 win teams?

I suspect that coach Kill's first class at Minnesota is kind of patched together from kids he was already recruiting at NIU and Minnesota kids (who he has done a tremendous job of recruiting). Next year will be more representative of the coach's strategy and long term plans.

Further thought on the relatively low grades that many of this year's recruits are afflicted with, and their enthusiasm to commit early...

I spent several years as a salesman in the freight industry. I learned during that time that when a prospective client was excessively eager to do business with my company, it usually meant that there was some fatal flaw with the prospect. They might have bad credit, or they were behind on their payables and had been cut off by my competition, or they shipped fragile cargo that was frequently damaged - if they were excited to see me the first time I walked in their front door, more often than not, it meant that I would regret doing business with them down the road.

I think a lot of kids were too eager to sign with the Gophers for their own reasons, but once the offer is out there, what can you do? An man of honor won't pull the scholarship offer once it's been accepted. All you can do is coach them.

I think a lot of kids were too eager to sign with the Gophers for their own reasons, but once the offer is out there, what can you do? An man of honor won't pull the scholarship offer once it's been accepted. All you can do is coach them.

This is why we should not get too worked up until February. Some of these guys may decide from Nov-Feb when football is over and they have to time to rethink their decision. However, I don't think Kill offers any kids unless he sees and wants him in the program.

Top Bottom