My OC Prediction

SRSKSM

FB Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
My prediction (with no inside info) is that Brewster hires this guy. I base this on Brewster saying that his next OC will have NFL coaching experience plus this guy has similar roots to Brewster in that they both have tight end resumes. Also Brewster can use his San Diego ties to get a reference on this guy. Also given his success at U of Miami you could argue this is a home run hire.. See resume below...

Coaches
Rob Chudzinski
Offensive Coordinator
Year with Browns: 4th
Year in NFL: 5th

Rob Chudzinski is entering his second season as offensive coordinator and was rewarded with a two-year contract extension on Jan. 7, 2008. Chudzinski was named offensive coordinator on Jan. 20, 2007, and his offensive scheme transformed the Browns into one of the league’s top offensive units.

Last season the Browns ranked eighth overall in offense and scoring, as the Browns scored 402 points and totaled 5,621 net yards of offense, as both ranked third best in franchise history. Chudzinski’s vertical offense witnessed QB Derek Anderson throw 29 touchdowns, WR Braylon Edwards set franchise records with 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns, TE Kellen Winslow set a career-high with 1,109 yards and RB Jamal Lewis rank fifth in the NFL with 1,304 yards rushing.

Chudzinski brings 14 years of coaching experience, including four years in the NFL and ten years in the collegiate ranks. Chudzinski joined the Browns after serving as the San Diego Chargers tight ends coach for two seasons (2005-06) and previously served as Browns tight ends coach during the 2004 season under Head Coach Butch Davis, and also served as offensive coordinator that season for the final five games under Interim Head Coach Terry Robiskie.

Chudzinski served as the San Diego Chargers tight ends coach from 2005-06 and worked with Chargers tight end Antonio Gates, who was voted to the Pro Bowl in each of the last two seasons. In 2006, Gates led the Chargers in all receiving categories including 71 receptions for 924 yards (13.0 avg.) and nine receiving touchdowns.

During the 2005 campaign, Gates set career-highs with 89 catches for 1,101 yards and 10 touchdowns. His 89 receptions tied Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow’s team record for single receptions by a tight end and his 1,101 yards were the most in Chargers history since 1983 when Winslow racked up 1,172. Gates 10 touchdown catches matched his 2004 total and he became the first NFL tight end with 10 or more touchdown catches in consecutive seasons.

A native of Toledo, Chudzinski returned to his Northeast Ohio roots in 2004 as the Browns tight ends coach under Head Coach Butch Davis. Chudzinski worked with Browns first round draft choice, Kellen Winslow II, who he previously coached at the University of Miami. During that season Chudzinski was elevated to offensive coordinator for the final five games under Interim Head Coach Terry Robiskie after the resignation of Head Coach Butch Davis.

Chudzinski worked extensively with Kellen Winslow II at the University of Miami as the Hurricanes offensive coordinator (2001-03). In 2003, Winslow II won the John Mackey Award as the nation’s top collegiate tight end before becoming the Browns first-round selection, sixth overall, in the 2004 NFL Draft.

During his three seasons as offensive coordinator coach at the University of Miami, the Hurricanes played in three Bowl Championship Series games, including two National Championship games. He coached noteable future NFL players Andre Johnson, Clinton Portis, Bryant McKinnie, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Ken Dorsey. In 2001, the ‘Canes went 12-0 and defeated Nebraska to win the National Championship. In 2002, Miami’s offense set school records for points (527), total yards (6,074) and rushing touchdowns (33) and averaged 40.5 points per game, while averaging 284.2 yards per game passing and 183.0 yards per game rushing. The ’Canes went 12-1 in 2002, their only defeat coming in overtime against Ohio State in the National Championship game. In 2003, Miami averaged 27.8 points per game and finished with an 11-2 record, including a 16-14 victory over Florida State in the FedEx Orange Bowl.

Chudzinski spent a total of ten years as an assistant at Miami, including five years as tight ends coach (1996-2000) and two as a graduate assistant coach (1994-95). He also helped develop two other All-America tight ends, Bubba Franks in 1999 and Jeremy Shockey in 2001. Franks and Shockey both became first-round picks and Pro Bowlers with Green Bay and the New York Giants, respectively.

Chudzinski joined the Hurricanes staff as a graduate assistant in 1994. He played tight end at Miami from 1986-90, was a three-year starter and a member of two national championship teams (1987 and 1989). He graduated with a B.A. in business administration in 1990 and later earned a MBA in 1996.

Chudzinski was born on May 12, 1968, and grew up in Toledo, Ohio, where he starred at Toledo St. John’s High School. Chudzinski and his wife, Sheila, have two sons, Kaelan and Rian.

Coaching Background:
1994-95 University of Miami (Fla.), graduate assistant coach
1996-2000 University of Miami (Fla.), tight ends coach
2001-03 University of Miami (Fla.), offensive coordinator
2004 Cleveland Browns, tight ends coach/interim offensive coordinator
2005-06 San Diego Chargers, tight ends coach
2007-08 Cleveland Browns, offensive coordinator

It is probably as good of a call as I have heard.

As an aside: How many TE coaches that coached Antonio Gates can we have on the team? If this is the hire it feels like we should be able to get a new Ra'Shede Hageman every year because every TE in the country would want to come and play for the TE coaches that mentored Gates. :) I don't mean that as a knock--because he is qualified--I'm just laughing at the coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that we're not going to scrap the spread.

I am more worried who we bring in as the DC. If we bring in Cosgrove you will need a miracle worker for OC and someone that can ensure that the team scores 50-70 points a game consistently.

I'm pretty sure that we're not going to scrap the spread.
I really wish they would. You can run it as part of the offense, but when you can't run the ball effectively, that puts you in a bind.

You can run the ball effectively and use the spread. Watch tonight's game.

Yeah, a spread doesn't mean you can't run. Brewster has already said they're not scrapping the spread offense. They're scrapping the pure form of it, the one where when it is 3rd and 1, you still can't go under center and pound it lol. Brewster isn't going to do all this recruiting for the spread and then just scrap it and lose potential recruits for it.

I am more worried who we bring in as the DC. If we bring in Cosgrove you will need a miracle worker for OC and someone that can ensure that the team scores 50-70 points a game consistently.

Did Cosgrove kick your dog or call you ugly? Your contempt for this guy is amazing.

Did Cosgrove kick your dog or call you ugly? Your contempt for this guy is amazing.

I just care about the Gopher football program and know that we can do better than this guy for a coordinator.

As a Miami fan I can tell you that Chud is a great cooordinator. He does all the right things on O, moves people around to create mismatches, 50/50 run-pass ratio, good timing and understanding of defenses.... that being said, I find it highly doubtful that you guys get him as OC. You might have had a better shot of getting him at HC. He will likely stay in the NFL coaching TEs or even another OC gig. Even Miami fans dont think we have a chance at Chud.

Well, I have to admit that would be an out of the park home run kind of hire that Brewster predicted, but even if we got him I wonder how long he would be here.....

Top Bottom