My disappointment

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
My disappointment with this year...at the beginning of the season, I truly believed that this was the best team since the final four run...and that was even *after* I figured Trevor and Royce wouldn't see a lick of playing time.

We didn't lose anyone of significance, Rodney was kicking arse, Justin looked like he could fill the role well enough...

I just don't get what the problem is. Is it just a lot of small things that when added up result in a team that's just dysfunctional enough to not be able to pull the trigger when it matters?

I just don't get what the problem is. Is it just a lot of small things that when added up result in a team that's just dysfunctional enough to not be able to pull the trigger when it matters?

Can't forget that there were/are chemistry issues this year as well. The fight between Nolen and Westbrook, while not a big deal, revealed something that was going on within this group. Who knows how big of a role any of that played, but it sure did hurt the TEAM in the A and M game. Even DJ said that the distractions were really, really, tough this year with everything going on. The team fought through most of it to their credit.

It seems that our biggest problem is in the post. Without a steady "good hands" "put it in the hole" option down low we do not have an effective half court game. This is RSIII's and Colton's 2nd year and they are on a steep learning curve. RSIII seem to have progressed more quickly, but he is still not where he will be next November.

Also down low we do not have a banger on the boards. I doubt that our current centers will ever be that. This is where Trevor and Royce are most missed.

Without these two needs filled we will only win when we play lessor or equal teams or when Lawrence, Blake and/or Joseph can get open and shoot out of their minds

Last year we won a lot of close games, this year we lost a lot of close games with basically the same players. That plus 2 terrible losses (IU and Portland) and we are where we are, squarely in the NIT unless we have a very impressive end to the season.. which I don't see happening.

There's a lot of finger-pointing that we could do, but at this point the best thing to do is to just enjoy the rest of the season and hope next year is different (it should be).

Add Mbakwe and Royce to this team and we're much better this year. Add them back to the team next year along with Cory Joseph and we're definitely right near the top of the Big 10 and poised to do something in the dance.

Top Bottom