My 1,00th post... Reflections

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
As someone who was a “lurker” here for a couple of years before I ever posted anything, I never thought I’d end up posting 1,000 times on the Gopherhole. But, here is #1,000. So, I thought I’d take this opportunity to write my own little manifesto about being a Gophers football fan.

First off, to some of the more positive posters out there (just a few who come to mind are GopherMartin, NormanDale, Goldmember, GrunkieJr), I say thanks for always carrying the torch. You guys are the ones who make it a pleasure to participate in this community. Your optimism is eternal and your criticism is always meant to be constructive. To those who are frequently (or always) negative, I think you should find some pleasure in your life. My guess is that you guys not only bitch about the Gophers, or Gopher fans, but also about your job, government, taxes, your family, the poor state of music and tv, etc. ad nauseum. I say to you people, take some time to think about why you like the Gophers and focus on that. If you are unable to do that perhaps you really aren’t a Gophers fan and just need to move on to other things.

Just a little bit about my (relatively short) history as a Gophers fan. While I was born in Minnesota, my family moved away when I was a kid. Over the years, though, I was able to attend a number of Colorado and Notre Dame home games. Finally, in October 1998, the opportunity came for my wife and I to move to Minneapolis. We then enrolled at the U. We received information about student tickets to Gopher football. $55 for a season ticket and a t-shirt to boot! Wow, that was less than the cost of a single Notre Dame ticket.

So, we started our Gophers fandom on September 4, 1999. That day was a victory over Ohio University (ho-hum). But that season Minnesota turned out to be the Cinderella of college football. Unfortunately all the key wins were on the road. I wouldn’t say that I was “hooked” immediately. I just looked at it as an opportunity to see Big Ten football; Minnesota just happened to be one of the competitors.

During the next few years we had children – making it hard to attend all of the games. Plus, I was always so angered by the numbers of Iowa and Wisconsin fans at those games, that I just did not attend them. I also found the 2000 loss to Ohio U to be particularly unbearable (and still do to this day). So, I was still the most casual of fans.

I think it was the bowl victory over Arkansas in 2002 that really started to spark some pride in me as a Gopher fan. That off-season I read all of the news (very little) that the local media reported and I was much more excited about the 2003 season than I had been about any previously. The game where I became a true Gophers fan, though, was one that most of the rest of you would like to forget; the 2003 Michigan game. The 62,000 Gopher fans that Friday night was the largest crowd of Minnesota fans I had seen before (or since) and the loudest college football fans I had ever heard. I felt like I was a part of something. Even though the night ended horribly, we were still a ranked team that had come within 3-points of beating the vaunted Wolverines. That night I became a 100% Gophers fan.

Unfortunately, though, we were no longer students and I had bought only single game tickets to 3 of our 4 conference games – not wanting to sit amongst 20,000 Badger fans for the Wisconsin game. So I watched that game on my sofa. That victory is my favorite Gopher victory that I’ve ever witnessed; I have the image of Rhys Lloyd hurdling the Wisconsin bench for the ax burned into my memory. I only wish it had been in-person. I vowed to never miss another home game (and have been to 31 of 32 home games since then – the one miss couldn’t be avoided).

Since that time, my wife got her BS and I my masters as non-traditional students (as my dad had several decades earlier). We have attended 3 bowl games and 2 road games. I purchased a 3rd car – known as my Gophermobile as it is a maroon convertible that gets adorned with magnets and flags on game day. We have ponied up a ton of $$ in Goal Line Club dues to get 4 pretty good seats. And, we are proud residents of 4 seats in section 238 of TCF Bank Stadium.

I know I have only been a 100% Gophers fan since October 2003 and just a casual fan for the 4 years prior to that – but I now bleed Maroon & Gold. I will always be a Gophers fan – forever and ever. I won’t always agree with hiring or coaching decisions, but once they are made, I will do my best to support them while it serves the football program’s best interests. I’ll admit that, on January 21, 2007 I was not happy with the coaching hire, but by the next day I was resolute to support it fully for at least 4 years. Now I am very happy with the energy that Brewster has put into the program and feel confident that wins will come as a result.

I have a lot of great memories from my ten years of attending Gophers games, but I prefer to focus on the memories to be made during my next 50 years as a Gophers fan. I look at 2009 as the beginning of a completely new era of Gophers football. We will see Big Ten championships and January bowls soon. We will also see the state of Minnesota embracing the Gophers as their team. And, most importantly to me, we will see our boys in Maroon & Gold regularly taking possession of Paul Bunyan’s Ax and Floyd of Rosedale with a full house of Gopher fans cheering them on.

Go Gophers. Rah!

As someone who has been a lurker since 2002 back on the old gopherhole when I entered college at St. Thomas, I can completely relate. I haven't always been to many games in person to support the squad (living in MN, there are so many things to do during the fall between weddings, hunting, fishing, Twins, etc.), but I have very rarely missed a game thanks to Tivo. I'm sure there are plenty of you who will say that I'm not a true fan because even though I live in the metro, I don't go to all of the games. I will wholeheartedly disagree with you in that respect. Do I want to go to more games than I do? For sure, anyone who would is a gopher fan would like to go to more than 1-2 games per year. Regardless, I will always support the Gophers players, staff, etc.

I love the direction Brew is taking this squad and can't wait to see what the future holds. I just hope they are successful enough this year to get Brew the extension he deserves so we can all see this program continue to prosper.

Thanks for posting. I think parts of my situation are similar and other parts depart from your experience. I too had lurked around the GopherHole for a long time prior to registering and posting. There are many paths to becoming a fan and I'd say that yours is just as legit as any other. Perhaps I will post something similar when I hit 1k posts.

The first Gophers game that I clearly remember was the Wisconsin game in 1979. I had been following the Gophers for a little while, but I remember this game because I was splitting wood with my dad and I would keep taking breaks to check the score on the radio (in the outstate area, Gophers games on TV were a rare treat back then). The Gophers were 4-5-1 going into that game, I was rooting for a Gophers win so they could reach .500 for the season. I didn't know anything about rivalries or trophies back then.

It took a long time for me to actually attend a Gophers game, I didn't see one in person until I got out of the Air Force and moved back to Minnesota. I did take a zero credit class in non-optical astronomy at the U, so technically, I attended the U. :)

The first college football game I ever attended was a Concordia-Moorhead game. I was on the campus for some other activity that weekend, and they gave us tickets for the game. The only thing I remember is that the stadium seemed enourmous to me at the time. It's kind of funny, their stadium seats 7,000, but coming from a town of 400 people, that was enourmous.

Go Gophers Rah, you should also thank your wife

because any married man with kids having your track record of attendance needs a better half that understands how special those precious Saturdays are each fall. Double kudos to the both of you for your bowl game travels as a tandem.

I think it was the initial Insight Bowl game where myself and and the scandalous clan I was traveling with that night (GoldysArmy, Studwell55,Jike and Omega15) met you and your wife at a Tempe destination on Mill Street. I believe we coerced the two of you to follow us on a wild goose chase to the next bar. Along the way you had to endure our antics that took place while 1) speaking with a TV sports reporter from Boise and 2) a hookah shop owner. On top of that it was raining (it's a fricken desert and Gopher fans gets rained upon !) and we trudged the better part of a nearly 2 miles but you and your wife kept up with us only to be treated to a grungy bar on the edge of ASU where the local college trailer trash were hanging out.

Congrats on post #1000.

It was The Vine on Apache...cheap beer, co-eds and karaoke. That was a fun night and I will echo ND's senitment, you have a great wife and you are two great Gopher fans.

I think it was the initial Insight Bowl game where myself and and the scandalous clan I was traveling with that night (GoldysArmy, Studwell55,Jike and Omega15) met you and your wife at a Tempe destination on Mill Street. I believe we coerced the two of you to follow us on a wild goose chase to the next bar. Along the way you had to endure our antics that took place while 1) speaking with a TV sports reporter from Boise and 2) a hookah shop owner. On top of that it was raining (it's a fricken desert and Gopher fans gets rained upon !) and we trudged the better part of a nearly 2 miles but you and your wife kept up with us only to be treated to a grungy bar on the edge of ASU where the local college trailer trash were hanging out.

GGR,
I sincerely apologize for subjecting you to our karaoke skills. But tradition is tradition, and it had to be done.

Congrats on #1000, and remember, don't stop believin'!

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Thanks for the shout out and I laughed pretty hard at the end of that paragraph. It is always fun to hear how other fans developed their Gopher love.

NormanDale, Goldy's Army and Jike,
I remember that night well... well let me rephrase, I remember the first couple of hours of that night well. The highlight was a brief shining moment with Studwell's sombrero on my head. One doesn't really live until they've worn Studwell's bowl sombrero.
I know ND is just a few seats down from me, so I'm guessing that I'll be seeing you guys this fall. God willing, I ee you in San Antonio, Orlando, Tampa or PASADENA for the holidays.

And yes, I have an awesome wife.

Thanks for the love!

Go Gophers, Rah!

(in the outstate area, Gophers games on TV were a rare treat back then)

Unfortunately, this is still the case in much of outstate Minnesota, where most people don't get the Big Ten Network on cable. BTN agreed to be on Comcast for a smaller per-subscriber rate in order to be on in the Chicago and the Twin Cities. They are still demanding a much higher per-subscriber rate from the smaller cable companies that serve many parts of outstate Minnesota. Because of this, the smaller companies and smaller towns often can't have the BTN.

We have been able to see fewer Gopher games on TV the last few seasons in our part of Minnesota than the years before the BTN. Because the metro area and other larger cities have the BTN now people seem to have forgotten that many thousands of Gopher fans are still missing their favorite football and basketball teams because of the BTN's policies.

Great post. It is really encouraging to hear about those like you who became fans after 2000 - who are new fans and will carry on the traditions. A lot of us old timers suffered through the last three decades of the 20th century and were turned on in 1999, too. But even then, ten years ago, a new stadium was more or less unthinkable. It really seems like a mairacle to me - and I think it, with game day traditions and hiopefully more wins, will help build a fan base for the future.

Top Bottom