Multiple bowl games value

calminnfan

Reaction score
I know there are those that believe there are way to many meaningless bowl games and it is all about the money. The second part is pretty much true. It is about the money, especially the money that is brought into the community the bowl is held in.

That said, with MN getting into a bowl this year, I have come to appreciate a couple of benefits (values) that the multiple bowls offer.

1. for MN, a chance to show (reward) progress and momentum in building the program. Better then 3-9 and is a little better then we thought they would be at the beginning of the season. Along with this Coach Kill has something to show for the stability he and his staff continually working together brings to the players.

2. Gives the taste of what a bowl or a playoff atmosphere feels like

3. Gives the younger players on the team extra practices/game time. For a team such as MN who is still going through the changes and developing the team, this is of great benefit.

4. Though the bowl they are going to this year is hardly that significant, and there is little doubt who the home team is, at the same time, for this year anyways, as a fan I am very greatful for this accomplishment and for the players that stuck with the team through all the difficulties they have had to endure.

I agree. Since there is no meaningful playoff, I find these bowls to be a decent alternative. I watch a lot of them, especially when there is a B1G team playing.

I probably will never see my first choice: a reduction of one game from the regular season in exchange for a 16 team playoff that starts with round's one (and maybe two) played at the higher seed in November, round two (or three) played at current BCS bowl locations, and a championship at a rotating location similar to the current Super Bowl or NCAA tournament.

I don't mind the bowls either. Frankly I don't understand why people get so upset at them. If you don't like them, don't watch them. I enjoy college football and don't mind some of the smaller schools.

I don't mind the bowls either. Frankly I don't understand why people get so upset at them. If you don't like them, don't watch them. I enjoy college football and don't mind some of the smaller schools.

Exactly. And the one thing many people seem to disregard (especially those who constantly rip on the Gophers or other programs who go to the lesser-known bowls) is how much the players enjoy it. That's what matters most if you ask me. Just look at how excited the team was after they beat Illinois and became bowl eligible.

If this game against Texas Tech would have been played during the regular season, most would have viewed it as a big game. For whatever reason, some people change their tune for bowl games.

I view any opportunity to watch additional college football games meaningful. Bowl games give me additional opportunities, plain and simple.
I sometimes find myself questioning why football fans dislike the bowls and refer to them as "meaningless".

The multiple bowl games offers lessor teams a stage to play on and I think that ultimately is the problem. That said it becomes apparent the value of them to teams and players as well.

One thing we old farts sometimes forget is just how young some of the college football players are. I recall Barry Alvarez talking about some game UW played before 1993 that involved a plane ride. Barry noted that "Some of these kids had never been on an airplane before." That is kind of fun to think about - I didn't ride in an airplane until I was over 23; my kids did before age 8. Maybe today players fly to B1G games, but for some of these kids, the sheer act of traveling to some of these places is a big deal.

Good luck in Houston!

It depends on where you are as a program. This bowl towards the end of Mason's tenure means something completely different in year 2 for Kill. That said, there are a ton of ridiculous bowls that change every year because even the sponsors realize they are a waste, only a college FB purist would enjoy.

I have been vocal about my dislike for all the Bowl games. That being said my issue is far more with the fans than the games themselves. From a program standpoint getting to a bowl is a good thing, extra practice, reward for the players etc....but the standard for getting to a bowl is so low I have a hard time when people try to play it off as a major accomplishment.

Tim Brewster is regarded by most on here as one of the worst coaches the Gophers have ever had and he went to two bowl games during his 3 1/2 years in charge. I'm glad for the players that they get to go have some fun and play in a bowl game, I will get excited about it when we really earn a high quality bowl game by being one of the better teams in the conference as opposed to a 2 conference win team that got most of its wins against really bad football teams.

I like that bowls are allowed to reward players with nice gifts. These kids bust their tails so us drunken slobs have something fun to do on Saturdays. Sure, many get free school out of the deal, but a nice watch and a gift card means a lot more to a 19 year old kid than it does for you and me.

I watch a lot of the bowls - always have. I'm happy to see the Gophers in one, any one. Devaney at Nebraska took his first squad to a now extinct bowl in New Jersey! But it was a treat for Husker fans and the beginning, as it turned out, of a legendary career for Devaney.

Top Bottom