Mullen to Florida?

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Dan Mullen has to be loving life right now. He'll be the logical choice to return to Gainesville, but he can play Florida and Miami against each other, or see if Mississippi State can come up with the cash to keep him. Whatever happens, he's going to get PAID.

Makes you look back on the Minnesota "rumors" from a week ago with a smile.

Miami and MSU can't pay him what Florida will.

Yeah, wasn't Meyer making 4 Million?

SEC coaches salaries (2010):
Nick Saban, Alabama — $5,997,349 ($700,000 maximum bonus)
Urban Meyer, Florida — $4,010,000 ($575,000 maximum bonus)
Gene Chizik, Auburn — $2,100,000 ($1,500,000 maximum bonus)
Les Miles, LSU — $3,905,000 ($400,000 maximum bonus)
Mark Richt, Georgia — $2,937,740 ($600,000 maximum bonus)
Bobby Petrino, Arkansas — $2,713,000 ($475,000 maximum bonus)
Houston Nutt, Ole Miss — $2,509,000 (N/A maximum bonus)
Derek Dooley, Tennessee — $2,121,391 ($475,000 maximum bonus)
Steve Spurrier, South Carolina — $2,032,500 ($1,000,000 maximum bonus)
Joker Phillips, Kentucky — $1,706,600 ($1,105,000 maximum bonus)
Dan Mullen, Mississippi State — $1,208,295 (N/A maximum bonus)

Here's what MSU's AD said in regards to the Miami rumors. Kick it up a notch for Florida:

“I don’t know if it’s a function of ‘can’t’ as much as I think we’ve been in line with what the market has dictated in the past,” Stricklin said last week. “I don’t know if we’ve ever lost a coach because of salary and I doubt we ever will. I think our financial numbers will always put ourselves in the kind of position we need to be in.”

SEC coaches salaries (2010):
Nick Saban, Alabama — $5,997,349 ($700,000 maximum bonus)
Urban Meyer, Florida — $4,010,000 ($575,000 maximum bonus)
Gene Chizik, Auburn — $2,100,000 ($1,500,000 maximum bonus)
Les Miles, LSU — $3,905,000 ($400,000 maximum bonus)
Mark Richt, Georgia — $2,937,740 ($600,000 maximum bonus)
Bobby Petrino, Arkansas — $2,713,000 ($475,000 maximum bonus)
Houston Nutt, Ole Miss — $2,509,000 (N/A maximum bonus)
Derek Dooley, Tennessee — $2,121,391 ($475,000 maximum bonus)
Steve Spurrier, South Carolina — $2,032,500 ($1,000,000 maximum bonus)
Joker Phillips, Kentucky — $1,706,600 ($1,105,000 maximum bonus)
Dan Mullen, Mississippi State — $1,208,295 (N/A maximum bonus)

Here's what MSU's AD said in regards to the Miami rumors. Kick it up a notch for Florida:

“I don’t know if it’s a function of ‘can’t’ as much as I think we’ve been in line with what the market has dictated in the past,” Stricklin said last week. “I don’t know if we’ve ever lost a coach because of salary and I doubt we ever will. I think our financial numbers will always put ourselves in the kind of position we need to be in.”

Saban made almost $6 million? I don't think so.

And why isn't Robbie Caldwell on the list?

It will be interesting to see how much interest Leach gets, if any.

Mullen is probably the clear favorite. Charlie Strong is also a strong possibility (NPI). Wild Card: Spurrier. Though I think Foley may have burned that bridge last time when he asked Spurrier to submit his resume and Spurrier said 'It's in your trophy case.'

I am relieved we inked Jerry Kill before the Florida job opened up. That is not a school you want to get in a bidding war with.

Saban's base salary was $5.1 large (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-coaches-contracts-table.htm) with "non-university compensation" of $830K.

I think Caldwell's data was protected because of Vanderbilt's status as a private school.

There are some strange salaries out there.

I don't believe those figures. When he signed his contract extension in August 2009, pretty much every source said his 2010 base salary was $4.1 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4431228

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2010-01-03-alabama-nick-saban_N.htm

http://www.mkrob.com/alabama-coah-nick-saban-signs-contract-through-2017/

It's also not plausible that he would make 15% more than any other coach in the country.

I'm thinking someone accidentally typed a "5" instead of a "4" in that database and no one ever noticed.

How did Chizik get that job for that salary after his awful time at Iowa State? I mean, seriously, how does that happen?

Something seems fishy about that situation, not to mention the issues with Cam Newton's recruitment from Mississippi State and the history of Auburn boosters interfering in the program.

How did Chizik get that job for that salary after his awful time at Iowa State? I mean, seriously, how does that happen?

Something seems fishy about that situation, not to mention the issues with Cam Newton's recruitment from Mississippi State and the history of Auburn boosters interfering in the program.

Wasn't he DC there in the past and their administration wanted him.

I am relieved we inked Jerry Kill before the Florida job opened up. That is not a school you want to get in a bidding war with.

Things changed in a couple of days:

If we were ever seriously looking at Golden, I would think the Pittsburg job might be one he has interest in.

Things changed in a couple of days:

If we were ever seriously looking at Golden, I would think the Pittsburg job might be one he has interest in.

No offense to Coach Kill, but I'm pretty sure Kaliq was being sarcastic in the OP. ;)

If/when Meyer is ready to come back, it will be interesting if MICH/OSU/ or PSU is available.

If/when Meyer is ready to come back, it will be interesting if MICH/OSU/ or PSU is available.

Don't you think Brian Kelly is the most nervous coach about Meyer's resignation? Kelly has had a first-year bad news trifecta - another down year, the Declan Sullivan tragedy, the rape investigation. I think there is enough for the administration to bounce him, perhaps after next year (assuming that things don't improve significantly). Meyer could slip right into that job.

Top Bottom