MSU player suspended

Nothing wrong with him having it with conceal and carry. Just don't brandish it unless absolutely necessarily for protection.

Irrelevant.

Except this is a thread about a college athlete with a conceal and carry permit who has been kicked off the team for brandishing the weapon. I get that the crime is in the brandishing, but Tim Riggins question is directly on point with this conversation.

Actually, if I was a coach there would be no guns, permit or not. Stay out of places where you need a gun. Not a lot of holdups in dorms or athletic facilities or on campus if you are 6'2 and 200 lbs

There can be several reasons for having a carry permit. I have friends who are part of the gun culture, and they believe VERY strongly that they have a constitutional right to bear arms. (we agree to disagree on this point). They also say they want a gun for protection.

For all we know, this player might come from a bad neighborhood, or may have been involved - or had family members involved in dangerous situations, and want to have a gun for protection.

Having said that, obviously you have to conform to team rules. Just the same as the rules that prohibit someone with a carry permit bringing a gun into a school, church, or courthouse.

Because it's his second amendment right.

Just because he has the right to carry a gun, doesn't answer the question why he feels he needs it. I don't understand why any B1G football player would feel the need to carry one.

Just because he has the right to carry a gun, doesn't answer the question why he feels he needs it. I don't understand why any B1G football player would feel the need to carry one.

Did you see what happened to Dak Prescott a week or two ago? I'm not trying to highlight that issue specifically as one where conceal and carry may have been beneficial, just saying there are reasons for high profile athletes to feel cautious

What you don't have is a right to be on a football team.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

You're saying it's not an American adult's second amendment right to keep and bear Arms?
You must be Canadian...

Nope, that's not what I'm saying.

I am saying that the 2nd Amendment does NOT guarantee your right to have a conceal and carry permit. The poster asked why the MSU player would need a conceal and carry permit, you INCORRECTLY stated that it's because it's his right.

2nd Amendment is your right to own a gun, not have a conceal and carry permit.

So Americans who know the Constitution are Canadian?

I am saying that the 2nd Amendment does NOT guarantee your right to have a conceal and carry permit. The poster asked why the MSU player would need a conceal and carry permit, you INCORRECTLY stated that it's because it's his right.

1+ Bob - Thanks again for trying to bring order out of chaos here again:rolleyes:.

I'm not going to get into a 2nd amendment squabble, but the possession of the firearm is not the story here. If he had a permit he had gone through all the proper legal channels and was deemed qualified by law enforcement officials to carry the gun. The only fact that matters to me is that he proved he wasn't responsible enough for the privilege to carry and broke the law by brandishing the gun. It's not about why he had a gun on him or should he have had the gun, it's about why he acted irresponsibly by brandishing the gun.

I'm not going to get into a 2nd amendment squabble, but the possession of the firearm is not the story here. If he had a permit he had gone through all the proper legal channels and was deemed qualified by law enforcement officials to carry the gun. The only fact that matters to me is that he proved he wasn't responsible enough for the privilege to carry and broke the law by brandishing the gun. It's not about why he had a gun on him or should he have had the gun, it's about why he acted irresponsibly by brandishing the gun.

Well said.

I completely agree with you. I was just pointing out that a person does not have a constitutional right to have a conceal and carry permit. I wasn't trying to get into a gun debate. I am pro-2nd Amendment.

I only chirped in with a snide remark because Gopher028's aswers were strange in this thread. Tim Riggins asked why someone would have a conceal and carry permit, and he responded that it was his right (which it isn't, but it still doesn't answer the question).

For instance, if someone asked "why would anyone want to protest a soldier's funeral?" Stating that they have the right to doesn't answer the "why".

PS: To avoid strawman - I'm not comparing owning a gun to protesting funerals.

I am not an authority on gun violence, but am becoming more interested because the Nevada legislature has passed a campus carry bill and will soon be voting on other bills, all that loosen gun restrictions. I have read a few articles about people who do know about guns though. The guy who wrote is article http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.1086/670397.pdf?acceptTC=true&jpdConfirm=true is Duke prof and has been studying gun violence since the mid-70's. The only conclusion that he can confidently draw from his 40 years of work is, "more guns, more homicides."

I am not an authority on gun violence, but am becoming more interested because the Nevada legislature has passed a campus carry bill and will soon be voting on other bills, all that loosen gun restrictions. I have read a few articles about people who do know about guns though. The guy who wrote is article http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.1086/670397.pdf?acceptTC=true&jpdConfirm=true is Duke prof and has been studying gun violence since the mid-70's. The only conclusion that he can confidently draw from his 40 years of work is, "more guns, more homicides."

Texas just passed a bill in the last day or two as well.

Top Bottom