MSU/Delany

Reaction score
One might have to take some of this with a grain of salt, but my brother (Spartan alum) sent me this article from a MSU fan website. According to this, Delaney is a world class petty D-bag.

I don't doubt that Delany has an overly healthy ego, and it isn't the first time one has heard of SCum (or OSU) players not getting whistled for stuff. That's why Wolverine linemen usually flame out in the NFL. They can't get away with holding on every play any more. Witness Jeff Backus on the Lions.

One can argue whether Gholston should have been suspended. I watched that game, and there was dirty play on both sides. But if you believe everything in this article, Delany sure made a vendetta out of this.

As it pertains to the Gholston incident, I certainly would take anything coming from something called Spartan Nation with a grain of salt, just as I would if there was a similar suspension of a Gopher player and the opinion piece was coming from GopherHole. Whether true or not, all it sounds like is sour grapes (from the writer).

Sparty, Hollis and Dantonio moved on, proof being their win over the Badgers (without Gholston). The Spartan Nation writer needs to do the same. ... the Michigan game was nearly 2 weeks ago.

The suspension was fair, even if there were other circumstances that led to it that weren't caught by the TV cameras. I do find it interesting and quite hypocritical that OSU's players were allowed to delay their suspensions before a major-$$$$$ bowl game (at the B1G's behest) until the following season.

Even so, Jim Delany has done much, much, more good for the B1G than bad. I'll cut him plenty of slack. There's a reason during all this realignment/conference abandonment stuff that we haven't heard a single peep about any B1G schools looking for greener pastures.

That's why Wolverine linemen usually flame out in the NFL.

Thank you for sharing the article. It was informative and interesting. But the above non sequitur is silly, ridiculous and simply not factual. Jake Long immediately came to mind when I read this. By most accounts, he is the best active OL in the NFL, and many experts are already calling him one of the best ever.

In addition to Long, here are other Michigan offensive linemen currently or recently in the league, all of them good-to-great NFL players:

David Baas
Jumbo Elliott
Steve Hutchinson
Jon Giesler
Jon Goodwin
Jon Jansen
Mike Kenn
Bubba Paris
Jon Runyan
Mo Williams

And what about Jeff Backus? All he's done is show up for the bell every day for 11 years, going at 167 straight starts and counting for what's almost exclusively been a dogsh*t team.

And all of this is without even mentioning all-time greats like HOFers Dan Dierdorf and Tom Mack. When you have two active surefire future HOFers (Long and Hutchinson) and two existing HOFers in one position group from one school, I'd say that you don't have to apologize to anyone for how your players have performed.

And now I hate you for making me defend Michigan.:)

I really don't want to change the direction of this thread, but IMO MSU's AD is exactly the type of person we need here at the U.
Smart, calculating, and honest, but with a spine and balls to fight back against outside forces that could harm the department.

2 things that stood out. Apparently Lewan is actually the dirty player, and Delaney should be replaced with a non-OSU/Michigan commish after he's done.

I really don't want to change the direction of this thread, but IMO MSU's AD is exactly the type of person we need here at the U.
Smart, calculating, and honest, but with a spine and balls to fight back against outside forces that could harm the department.

2 things that stood out. Apparently Lewan is actually the dirty player, and Delaney should be replaced with a non-OSU/Michigan commish after he's done.

Two notes:
1) In 2009 Delany suspended Michigan linebacker James Mouton after replays showed he punched a Notre Dame player.
2) I know the linked op-ed claims he did, but I don't really understand how Hollis stood up to Delany? By qualifying his statements about Gholston's actions in the press?

2) I know the linked op-ed claims he did, but I don't really understand how Hollis stood up to Delany? By qualifying his statements about Gholston's actions in the press?
Assuming it's all true it would be by fighting for his school and players until the conference forced his hand. And even then, making sure the press releases didn't say what Delaney wanted.

It's a good read. It has enough detail to seem at least somewhat factual. But with no sources it hits my list of "fun read, not sure if I'll buy it all" articles.

I guess I was under the assumption that the punch was not the only reason for suspension.. it was also the helmet twist later on that was also caught on video and definitely pre-meditated.

Got to love all of his "sources" and how they all happen to believe MSU was unfairly punished. I also find it funny that the writer could find video of 2 plays of Lewan being dirty against other programs but dispite claiming there were 37 instances of facemask by him during the game, could provide zero video evidence of it. The whole article is just a biased MSU fan's take of the incident. Not saying none of it is true but doubt a lot of it is based in fact.

dispite claiming there were 37 instances of facemask by him during the game, could provide zero video evidence of it

Do you think coaching staffs are in the business of handing out their coaching film to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who asks for it?

Do you think coaching staffs are in the business of handing out their coaching film to every Tom, Dick, and Harry who asks for it?
Are you really trying to tell me that of the 37 facemasks that they found, none can be seen from any of the film other than coaches film? Considering ESPN had more cameras there than the coaches did but none of it could be found on their film either. But you are right its way more probable that there is just a big conspiracy to keep MSU down.

Also, if MSU really believes these things happened and they have proof then, yes leak the footage.

Are you really trying to tell me that of the 37 facemasks that they found, none can be seen from any of the film other than coaches film? Considering ESPN had more cameras there than the coaches did but none of it could be found on their film either.

It's quite possible, actually. Networks don't make a habit of training a camera exclusively on one player for the entire game. It is quite possible, even probable, that MSU had a camera focused on Lewan the whole game because of his reputation. Further, assuming Lewan isn't an idiot, he was probably giving his cheap shots when the ball was run on the other side of the line from him or when they were passing, i.e., when it was unlikely that a camera was trained on him.

But you are right its way more probable that there is just a big conspiracy to keep MSU down.

Nowhere in the article did it say that there's a big conspiracy to keep MSU down. Did you even read the article? The main thrust is that Delany wants to prop up OSU and Michigan at the expense of the other conference members. Do you deny that that is a plausible scenario?

The author talks about friends who work and worked at the Big ten offices disliking Delaney. Wonder if these friends are crazy about that considering only about 25 people work in the office- wouldn't be too hard to figure out who is a MSU alum.

http://www.bigten.org/school-bio/big10-staff.html

Delaney does come across as an ego maniac though. He has a link to his bio and to his longer vitae while the other staff members have no bio at all.

It's quite possible, actually. Networks don't make a habit of training a camera exclusively on one player for the entire game. It is quite possible, even probable, that MSU had a camera focused on Lewan the whole game because of his reputation. Further, assuming Lewan isn't an idiot, he was probably giving his cheap shots when the ball was run on the other side of the line from him or when they were passing, i.e., when it was unlikely that a camera was trained on him.

Nowhere in the article did it say that there's a big conspiracy to keep MSU down. Did you even read the article? The main thrust is that Delany wants to prop up OSU and Michigan at the expense of the other conference members. Do you deny that that is a plausible scenario?
I just find it hard to believe that with all the cameras there that day he can't find one video of him being cheap for his article, specially odd considering all of his great sources inside the Big Ten office. I would think that if he has all of those sources inside Delaney's office that he would at least have one in the MSU office that could slip him some game tape, not like there is anything secretive on gametape.

I did read the article, while he does mention that he thinks OSU and Mich get unfair treatment he lists no examples of OSU getting unfair treatment. The only real incident he talks about is Lewan being dirty and not getting a flag. I agree with you that was probably his intention when he decided to write but that was not the main point I got out of the article after reading it.

The main point I got out of it was, that an MSU player was unfairly suspended for an one action that he was supposedly provoked into doing. He completely leaves out the fact that Gholston was earlier this season being called cheap and dirty for plays, and the fact that he Gholston had during the Mich game made (IMO) an even dirtier play (twisting Robinson's helmet while he was already on the ground). He is clearly looking for a hidden motive as to why an MSU player got suspend, instead of just accepting the fact that the MSU player has been playing dirty all season and finally had a game where he crossed the line. Him being suspend was the right call. I just wish Delaney didn't have to do it, I don't want him to start Roger Goodelling the Big Ten.

I just find it hard to believe that with all the cameras there that day he can't find one video of him being cheap for his article, specially odd considering all of his great sources inside the Big Ten office. I would think that if he has all of those sources inside Delaney's office that he would at least have one in the MSU office that could slip him some game tape, not like there is anything secretive on gametape.
I get what you're saying, but do you assume that all people who write websites automatically have a wealth of DVR'd footage just lying around?

I get what you're saying, but do you assume that all people who write websites automatically have a wealth of DVR'd footage just lying around?
No, I don't expect that. But when you write a story like that you should try to find some facts or proof if you want people to believe that you have all of these great sources

No, I don't expect that. But when you write a story like that you should try to find some facts or proof if you want people to believe that you have all of these great sources
Something tells me if the guy who wrote that has any common sense he may have already thought of that. But if he doesn't have the footage or if no one will go on the record then he obviously made his choice.

Which is why for me it makes for a nice read but I'll take it with a major grain of salt.

Top Bottom