Moving on...Leidner

diefirma

Reaction score
Thinking about Leidner

Nelson is gone and that is a fact. What does Leidner have to work on for next year?

Nelson started over Leidner as a freshman because Leidner wasn’t as fast as Nelson, Nelson was perceived to have more leadership ability and Nelson seemed to understand the offense better.

Coming into fall camp, Leidner was noticeably faster and had a much better understanding of the playbook. The coaches kept saying it was an open competition and I don’t think they were just saying it to motivate Nelson, although that could have been part of it. Leidner is bigger and stronger and has said after being just a passing QB in HS he enjoys getting the chance to run. He likes running. It seems to me, watching Leidner, that Mitch has the stronger arm and is more accurate overall and on the longer passes especially. I think going into the first game the coaches had the two QBs as more or less even but went with Nelson because of the “leadership” factor and Nelson’s experience. In the bowl game however Mitch was plenty fired up and had plenty of leadership.

Going into the spring game and fall practice I think Mitch needs to;

* Learn to read defenses - who is likely to get open and where will the pressure / blitz come from

* NOT fumble !

* Throw the ball away if no one is open and there are no running lanes - this requires knowing roughly where your receivers are so there is “someone in the area” so you don’t get called for intentional grounding.

I am looking forward to watching Mitch in the spring game

He also needs to learn to step into his throw. Really noticeable in the bowl game was how short his stride is. I hope he's not being coached this way. You could see it take zip off the ball. Even when he had a nice pocket in front of him.

Another one of these headlines - you want give us all heart attacks? Nelson is moving on - Streveler and Leidner are moving UP! or something like that. That said, I like the thread of conversation about what will happen at qb.

He also needs to learn to step into his throw. Really noticeable in the bowl game was how short his stride is. I hope he's not being coached this way. You could see it take zip off the ball. Even when he had a nice pocket in front of him.

I've heard one can put zip ON the ball, but didn't know you could take it off. lol. Um, do you need like a stain remover?

He needs to stay in the pocket and look for secondary receivers ! He has tunnel vision ! Takes off way too soon to run - Ned's to let the play develop!

(1) Mitch needs to do is remember who he is. He needs to keep being the punishing runner that makes our offense dangerous. I realize that it isn't ideal, but he can't forget the things that he's already done successfully.

(2) He needs to take care of the ball better. I don't think you can teach pocket awareness, but there are some small things he could do. When he drops back to pass, he needs to go through his progressions quickly and then tuck the ball. This is also important in situations where you can't take a bad sack. He's going to have more fumbles than the avg QB because of the amount we expect out of him in the running game, but this can improve.

(3) Our receivers are all big and strong and we need a QB who can throw a fade. Wolitarsky isn't going to always get great separation, but I think he'll do a nice job of battling for jump balls. Jones is an athletic freak who can outjump almost every DB and Maxx is a beast. If Leidner can become comfortable throwing the fade, those receivers should be able to make plays.

(4) All the little things. . .become obsessed with learning the playbook, know where your specific receivers like the ball, be a vocal leader and take the reigns of the program. Nelson passed on the opportunity to be the face of this program as it is taking the next step, so if Mitch can bring solid QB play to this team, we're dangerous.

Another one of these headlines - you want give us all heart attacks? Nelson is moving on - Streveler and Leidner are moving UP! or something like that. That said, I like the thread of conversation about what will happen at qb.

Sorry! You are right. I didn't even think of that - it is not easy going through life being stupid!

Sorry! You are right. I didn't even think of that - it is not easy going through life being stupid!

Yes it is, diefirma. However it is very difficult to determine what degree of stupid a person is.

Top Bottom