Move Lamonte to DE?

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
Got a couple snaps there yesterday. If he can get pressure on the QB, then I'm all for it

Hell, move Tommy to DT and see what he can do

Hell, move Tommy to DT and see what he can do

I don't really love the idea of Tommy switching off between OG and DT. If they really believe he is better at DT, then I don't mind a permanent move. I just think DT is a different kind of position than DE. I imagine Lamonte is only going to be used on simple situations where he would be sprinting up field to put pressure on a QB. DT is a bit more complicated, especially because Olson wouldn't really be used in pass rushing type of situations (he is less athletic than most our DTs).

As far as Lamonte, I still say, I won't be shocked if he ends up on defense for good.

Coach Kill has said more than once, that the Coaching Staff still does not know what these guys can do, but he has to start somewhere, then eke, deke, and re-evaluate for changes after reviewing films.

It sure doesn't hurt to take a look at him there and see what he can do, they desperately need to find someone who can get to the QB. I like the depth at RB, I don't think it would hurt them too much there.

Mona asked Kill about it today and there was a little writeup about it in the Strib. Play him wherever he fits best. Bennett can't be the only RB. If Kirkwood and Wright are healthy and ready to roll, there's need for help at DE.

I don't really love the idea of Tommy switching off between OG and DT. If they really believe he is better at DT, then I don't mind a permanent move. I just think DT is a different kind of position than DE. I imagine Lamonte is only going to be used on simple situations where he would be sprinting up field to put pressure on a QB. DT is a bit more complicated, especially because Olson wouldn't really be used in pass rushing type of situations (he is less athletic than most our DTs).

As far as Lamonte, I still say, I won't be shocked if he ends up on defense for good.

I think Tommy could be very good at DT. It's a motor position - he's got one

Wow, I am surprised I missed that while watching the game yesterday. To answer the OP's question, it would be difficult to
play full-time DE at 210-220lbs. Edwards is listed at 210 on the official roster.

Lamonte played DE very well at Woodbury, but he relied heavily on athleticism, speed, and strength rather than technique. Something he will not be able to get away with as a RS Reshman in the B1G

Hopefully Beal is back to fill that 3rd & long DE roll.

If Beal gets healthy (if) I still like the 3-4 defense idea, with him and Tinsley in the middle, letting either Rallis or Cooper come off the edge, or even put Beal in the Mike spot with Tinsley coming off the edge to speed rush the QB on passing downs. Could be very effective...

Too lazy to go back and find the thread, but I thought Beal was out for the year?

If Beal gets healthy (if) I still like the 3-4 defense idea, with him and Tinsley in the middle, letting either Rallis or Cooper come off the edge, or even put Beal in the Mike spot with Tinsley coming off the edge to speed rush the QB on passing downs. Could be very effective...

Switching defensive schemes midway through a season will not happen, nor should it. We are a 4-3 team. That is the approach and that is the mindset. That is what we recruit for. A 3-4 defense is about more than just having four LBs you like. Everything changes.

There's a world of difference between actually learning to play DE and coming in for pass rushing situations.

There's a world of difference between actually learning to play DE and coming in for pass rushing situations.

Agreed. Kill said that we just don't have the players right now when he took the job and this is an example. Edwards had one thing to do when he was in the game. Playing that position more than a few plays is a different story.

Let's put in an entirely different scheme than the one Kill and staff has run for years in order to get a completely unproven player with 3 knee injuries on the field. That sounds like Kill's MO...

I do know one former Minnesota coach who would love that idea....

Tommy will never play defensive line. He was average at the position in high school.

I was getting the drift on Friday night that Beal is severely injured. The swelling on his knee is atrocious, and it may be a long time before they can even check it. I hope the best for this fella, but it's not looking too good.

As for Lamonte, they will use him in spots, but he will be the 2nd string RB. Kill's mindset is more like a HS coach about using players in spot roles. I think we will see a lot of this.

I was getting the drift on Friday night that Beal is severely injured. The swelling on his knee is atrocious, and it may be a long time before they can even check it. I hope the best for this fella, but it's not looking too good.

As for Lamonte, they will use him in spots, but he will be the 2nd string RB. Kill's mindset is more like a HS coach about using players in spot roles. I think we will see a lot of this.
Assuming Beal is out for the year, LE will be a 3rd down/passing situation rusher only. LE e is not big enough to be a DE except in passing situations.

Top Bottom