Most impressive games for the Big Ten last week

Gold Rush

Reaction score
These are completely arbitrary and you will have to pardon my Gopher bias, but these are the Big Ten games from last weekend. I ranked them in the biggest positive surprise for me to the least impressive. I think the Big Ten showed a lot of strength this weekend. Many teams looked pretty strong.

1 - Michigan St. : 38 #24 Miami :17 - the Spartans are on the rise and throttled a top 25 team. Good job!
2 - Minnesota : 30 Colorado : 0 - the Gophers came in as dogs and completely outclassed the Buffs on the road.
3 - #10 Penn St. : 28 #22 Auburn : 20 - big win at home over a good SEC team - will be a force.
4 - #25 - Michigan : 63 - Northern Illinois : 10 - The Wolverines throttled a bad team but rushing attack looks great
5 - #5 Iowa : 30 Kent St. : 7 - by the book, the Hawkeyes opened up in the second half.
6 - #3 Oklahoma: 23 Nebraska: 16 - even though they lost, the Huskers were right in it until the end.
7. - Rutgers : 45 Delaware : 13 - Rutgers is 3-0 on the rise with the right coach back. Getting better in a hurry!
8 - Maryland : 20 Illinois : 17 - Big ten wins on the road aren't easy and Maryland gets one.
9 - #9 Ohio St. :41 Tulsa : 20 - this was only 13-6 at the half. OSU is beatable this year and not playing very well.
10. #8 Cincinnati : 38 Indiana : 24 - the Hoosiers had the lead in a back and forth game but faded late.
11. #12 Notre Dame: 27 Purdue : 13 - the Boilermakers aren't there yet.
12. Illinois : 17 Maryland : 20 - and neither are the Illini. New coach at least has them fighting.
13. Duke : 30 Northwestern : 23 -- the Cats are probably heading for the cellar.

I think both the Big Ten East and Big Ten West are up for grabs and there will be a lot of good games coming up that should be very fun to watch. The conference looks very strong this year.

Miami FL is the same exact thing as Nebraska and Tennessee.

They were an amazing program 20-30 years ago. The writers were young(er) back in those days, and look back on them wistfully.

All three are constantly overrated, every year.

Miami is no top 25 program.

They were an amazing program 20-30 years ago. The writers were young(er) back in those days, and look back on them wistfully.

I'd add Texas to that list too although I think they would be the best of the 4 year after year.

Certainly not after last week, anyways!!

I think the Gophers opened up some eyes and you can see this from the Vegas oddsmakers bumping up and adjusting the odds this week for Bowling Green. This would have been Gophers by 17 or so if you take out the Colorado game. That is a HUGE adjustment.

Gopher fans know how big that win was for this program. We came in as 2 point dogs and a lot of people were taking Colorado to win. This was a big game for both teams vying for respect and trying to take the next step forward. We suffered more than most teams did from the Covid and we lost our mojo from being a top ten team the year before last season.

On Saturday, we really looked like the 2019 team that beat Penn St. and Auburn. Maybe not quite as good offensively, but the signs were there on both offense and certainly defense. This team has a chance to get right back into contention for the Big West. Man, we just looked GOOD!!!!

I was a little disappointed we did not get any Top 25 votes this week but that will come if we keep playing like we did on Saturday!

These are completely arbitrary and you will have to pardon my Gopher bias, but these are the Big Ten games from last weekend. I ranked them in the biggest positive surprise for me to the least impressive. I think the Big Ten showed a lot of strength this weekend. Many teams looked pretty strong.

1 - Michigan St. : 38 #24 Miami :17 - the Spartans are on the rise and throttled a top 25 team. Good job!
2 - Minnesota : 30 Colorado : 0 - the Gophers came in as dogs and completely outclassed the Buffs on the road.
3 - #10 Penn St. : 28 #22 Auburn : 20 - big win at home over a good SEC team - will be a force.
4 - #25 - Michigan : 63 - Northern Illinois : 10 - The Wolverines throttled a bad team but rushing attack looks great
5 - #5 Iowa : 30 Kent St. : 7 - by the book, the Hawkeyes opened up in the second half.
6 - #3 Oklahoma: 23 Nebraska: 16 - even though they lost, the Huskers were right in it until the end.
7. - Rutgers : 45 Delaware : 13 - Rutgers is 3-0 on the rise with the right coach back. Getting better in a hurry!
8 - Maryland : 20 Illinois : 17 - Big ten wins on the road aren't easy and Maryland gets one.
9 - #9 Ohio St. :41 Tulsa : 20 - this was only 13-6 at the half. OSU is beatable this year and not playing very well.
10. #8 Cincinnati : 38 Indiana : 24 - the Hoosiers had the lead in a back and forth game but faded late.
11. #12 Notre Dame: 27 Purdue : 13 - the Boilermakers aren't there yet.
12. Illinois : 17 Maryland : 20 - and neither are the Illini. New coach at least has them fighting.
13. Duke : 30 Northwestern : 23 -- the Cats are probably heading for the cellar.

I think both the Big Ten East and Big Ten West are up for grabs and there will be a lot of good games coming up that should be very fun to watch. The conference looks very strong this year.
You might be trying not to be biased but our game against Colorado gets the #1 spot by a mile. Miami is very overrated, they got throttled by Alabama and barely got past App State. Yes they were officially a top 25 team when the game was played but I bet they won't be a top 25 team when the season ends.

On the flip side we shutout a power 5 team on the road and held them to under 100 yards of total offense in the process. Colorado may not be a great team but doing what we did to another power 5 team doesn't happen often, especially in their place. I would give the #2 spot to PSU and the #3 spot to MSU.

How could you choose between the 8th ranked game and the 12th?

Their defense makes them 8-4
It’s when they have a functional offense they win 10+

Oh OK. Functional offense now. Fair enough

Top Bottom