Most Fun Home Season Since..

GoldInDirt

Section 243, Row 18
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion on good/bad seasons in relationship to wins and losses, but very little if any discussion on overall value of entertainment and fun. I'd like to focus the discussion on home games since that's what we're mostly paying for.

I've had season tickets since 1993. I've had more fun this year at home football games then any other year. My measurement of fun is based on 1) quality of opponents, 2) competitiveness of games, 3) quality of gopher play and 4) venue.

In my 17 year history this year is easily better then any other year in regards to 1) quality of opponents, 2) competitiveness of games, and 4) venue. Mason never played a good non-conference schedule, the Big 10 is as equal this year in competitiveness as it ever has been, the games have all been very close, exciting and nerve wracking and this years home venue is unparalleled.

The only question mark is the quality of gopher play. Mason was good at blowing out insignificant teams, but because those teams were insignificant I didn't care about the game and felt like I was wasn't getting a good entertainment value and was using up a lot of precious time in the fall. Mason never really exceeded expectations (especially for the entire game). He never had a lot of unexpected wins and he mostly was defined by unparalleled collapses during games leading to defeat. Mason never pulled together a truly memorable home campaign.

This year the gopher defense exceeded my expectation and the gopher offense did not meet my expectations. This was the most fun I've had watching our defense play, possibly ever, and one of the least fun years watching the offense play mostly because of how much they underperformed.

I'd like to honestly ask everybody else, step back from the current emotions, look back at past years calendars and tell me if the last time we had a home season more fun then this year - because that's what we're paying for. Please provide specifics why you think previous years were more fun. Thanks.

Edit - I'm going to quick add the games and scores this year for reference
Air Force Win 20-13
California Loss 21-35
Wisconsin Loss 28-31
Purdue Win 35-20
Michigan St. Win 42-34
Illinois Loss 32-35
S.D. State Win 16-13

nice post

I had a great year as well. I also went to NW, Penn state and Iowa. Obviously wanted to come home a winner from PSU and Iowa but the fun value was awesome. The tail gating off campus was absolutely the best ever! We could have gone undefeated at home with a couple of plays going our way. Its amazing how expectations met frustration with this coach and team...something we need to have to get better. We need to improve but there is no reason to doubt next year could be a better year.

Interesting post, I will be interested to see how many people view football in the same light as you do. For me, winning is fun and losing is not. I see your point on the non-conference schedule, but this year featured two very disappointing losses at home (Wisconsin and Illinois) and a very poor performance against South Dakota State. I am glad that you got a lot of enjoyment out of the season.

Have had season tix on and off since 1982. Only other year I had as much fun might have been the Holtz year that they played Oklahoma at home, but I'm too lazy to look up which year that was. Anyway, as Keith Jackson used to say, for me this is all about "the color and pageantry of college football". I believe there is no better entertainment value. love the Gophers, and will continue to buy tickets, win or lose, until my inevitable heart attack.

Interesting post, I will be interested to see how many people view football in the same light as you do. For me, winning is fun and losing is not. I see your point on the non-conference schedule, but this year featured two very disappointing losses at home (Wisconsin and Illinois) and a very poor performance against South Dakota State. I am glad that you got a lot of enjoyment out of the season.

I'd like to win more too, but I wasn't happy with winning terrible games with Mason. Disappointment is not a reason to quit watching sports or giving up on your team which so many people around here seem to be implying, and I don't think your post implies this. I hope that if someone would give you a choice of watching a very exciting game knowing that we would lose, versus a terrible game that is a 30 point blowout that we win, you'd choose the more exciting game. There were disappointing moments and games, but don't forget the good moments and fun wins like Purdue, Michigan State and Air Force.

Best home season since 2008!!!! Then I could get hammered at the games legally.

Top Bottom