Morgan one of 8 QBs on PFF’s 2021 draft watch list.

I just don't see Lance as a QB in the NFL. From the NDSU games I saw, he didn't seem to throw it at an elite level. He is athletic and can run for sure, but I didn't see him making a ton of pro-style passes.
I kind of agree with you on that. It’s interesting though. Most of the “Way Too Early” 2021 mock drafts have Lance as a top 10 pick. Wonder if they are just seeing the stats, the athleticism, the young age and then remembering Carson Wentz and that is what is pushing his stock up with the media

I kind of agree with you on that. It’s interesting though. Most of the “Way Too Early” 2021 mock drafts have Lance as a top 10 pick. Wonder if they are just seeing the stats, the athleticism, the young age and then remembering Carson Wentz and that is what is pushing his stock up with the media

Very possible. I just remember watching that national title game this year and hearing so much hype about him - but then being surprised he seemed to be far more focused on running than trying to throw. Just checked the stats and he was 6-10 for 72 yards passing.

I just don't see Lance as a QB in the NFL. From the NDSU games I saw, he didn't seem to throw it at an elite level. He is athletic and can run for sure, but I didn't see him making a ton of pro-style passes.
Very possible. I just remember watching that national title game this year and hearing so much hype about him - but then being surprised he seemed to be far more focused on running than trying to throw. Just checked the stats and he was 6-10 for 72 yards passing.
Leidner?

You need to look at Lance's full body of work. His passing efficiently numbers are at the same level as Morgans (slightly higher), and his arm strength would seem to be significantly better. The big upside with Lance are his feet, where that would seem to be a liability with Morgan (- rushing yards), vs. 1100. I really like Morgan's command in the pocket however, I think he's a little ahead of Lance there. Lance had a unimaginable 0 interception year, throwing nearly 300 passes. That certainly is turning heads.

You need to look at Lance's full body of work. His passing efficiently numbers are at the same level as Morgans (slightly higher), and his arm strength would seem to be significantly better. The big upside with Lance are his feet, where that would seem to be a liability with Morgan (- rushing yards), vs. 1100. I really like Morgan's command in the pocket however, I think he's a little ahead of Lance there. Lance had a unimaginable 0 interception year, throwing nearly 300 passes. That certainly is turning heads.

Lance didn’t put up those numbers against Penn State, Auburn, etc. Looking forward to seeing how he does against Oregon. Hopefully, that game doesn’t get cancelled.

Lance didn’t put up those numbers against Penn State, Auburn, etc. Looking forward to seeing how he does against Oregon. Hopefully, that game doesn’t get cancelled.
He’ll do just fine vs Oregon, but I wouldn’t judge anyone on just one game. You wouldn’t want to judge Morgan vs. only SDSU or Wisconsin last year, where he was pretty pedestrian.

He’ll do just fine vs Oregon, but I wouldn’t judge anyone on just one game. You wouldn’t want to judge Morgan vs. only SDSU or Wisconsin last year, where he was pretty pedestrian.

Don’t you think the level of competition matters?

Don’t you think the level of competition matters?

Or playing for a team where you're surrounded by talent far better than everyone else you play? Surely NDSU has the best OL, best WRs, etc. That makes a huge difference

I think he is appealing because he has a lot of tools to work with. He has a strong arm, is mobile, and was only a redshirt freshman last year. I think we can all agree that Tanner Morgan improved a lot as a QB from his RS Fr to RS SO year. NFL scouts and execs love potential and he could be very good if he continues to develop as a passer. I don’t see him in the same tier as Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, but he certainly has potential. I’m not saying he is gonna pan out, but he could likely be a high draft pick. The competition is a question, but the last two long term QBs they had there got drafted in Wentz and Easton Stick.

Leidner and Weber and q would be in the nfl had they chosen NDSU

I think he is appealing because he has a lot of tools to work with. He has a strong arm, is mobile, and was only a redshirt freshman last year. I think we can all agree that Tanner Morgan improved a lot as a QB from his RS Fr to RS SO year. NFL scouts and execs love potential and he could be very good if he continues to develop as a passer. I don’t see him in the same tier as Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, but he certainly has potential. I’m not saying he is gonna pan out, but he could likely be a high draft pick. The competition is a question, but the last two long term QBs they had there got drafted in Wentz and Easton Stick.
SDSU finished 4th in NDSU’s league last year. They did not look outclassed at TCF last year, or like lesser competition. The top 5 in that league would all give MN a tough game. It’s certainly not the B1G, but a very physical league.

Leidner and Weber and q would be in the nfl had they chosen NDSU
They would have had a better chance in a pro-style offense. But your skills stand on their own when your trying to make an nfl roster.

They would have had a better chance in a pro-style offense. But your skills stand on their own when your trying to make an nfl roster.
Disagree strongly.
Playing in a “pro style” offense matters less and less to draft stock as people in the pros readily adopt college schemes.

See the first round quarterbacks in last years draft all playing in wide open spreads (yes I’m telling you Alabama runs the spread)

I’ve only watched some of the highlights but he has a bit of herky delivery vs Wentz or Morgan. What’s your impression of Lance vs Wentz? You sure he has great arm strength? That wasn’t real clear from the highlight videos. Impressive to have interceptions, no doubt. Will be interesting to watch this fall.

Yeah, I mean, it's all going to depend on his season. If he finishes top 5 in passing efficiency this year then he should absolutely declare.

... But, he's also starting the season with a new offensive coordinator and he's missing his top target. I have no idea how this year is going to go for him. The schedule is set up for him to make a run at a B1G championship if not end up in the playoff conversation.

Every week is a battle though so don't want to get too far in front of the legs.

Last edited:

Top Bottom