More people in the US watched last year's Minnesota-Syracuse Pinstripe Bowl than the clinching game of the Stanley Cup

Sure, I believe you guys, when it comes to Lightning fandom.

I'm talking about Tampa being a "hockey town", as if it were equivalent to MSP in that regard. No chance.

No college teams in Florida. I doubt if there's much in the way of high school or youth??

It's not that important of a point, regarding the thread. So I'm fine dropping it.

Bingo! It’s the same with the NBA. When they decided to bleed their playoffs into mid June they abandoned a huge audience who would likely be interested but it’s now the off-season. It would take a major conversion to get them to change the model. MLB doing the same thing with World Series possibly bleeding into November. The greed at the expense of the game is discouraging and nauseating. For what it’s worth, I remember a Vikings super bowl on January 14.
Vikings-Raiders Super Bowl XI was even earlier on the calendar, January 9, 1977.

I'll watch Wild Playoff hockey, but as soon as they are out, I'm done. I have no interest in following the other teams. I do watch football playoffs though even if the Vikings aren't playing. Something happens to me though during the two weeks in between the last playoff game and the Superbowl. For some reason, I have a tough time getting excited about it in comparison to previous games. I do enjoy the fellowship etc., that the Superbowl offers though. Baseball loses me almost right away as to the playoffs. As to basketball, it turned into a thug league, and I have no time for it.

Markets have a lot to do with this, I think.

Tampa Bay - Colorado got 5.8M US viewers on ABC for decisive game 6 in 2022 (Tampa Bay and Denver are much more engaged hockey markets than Vegas or Miami), which is more than double what Vegas - Miami got on the same network (2.7M)

It's worth noting that on the flip side, if I'm not mistaken, the first game or two of the SC Final between Vegas and Florida had the highest SCF ratings in more than 20 years? I believe I heard that stat. By Game 5, the issue was no longer in doubt, and to be fair, Florida was extraordinarily banged up; Hardly a fair fight by that point.

Vegas had pounded Florida for 4 straight games. That was an outcome that was not in doubt. Not surprising that not many tuned in. Being on TNT didn't help things either
Yeah, all the Cup games are not on regular broadcast TV to attract the largest audience and the most ad revenue (I would think). I get it is because of how the media deals were put together.

I play hockey twice a week, year round. Never ever miss a Gopher football game. Did not watch the Cup this year.

Something happens to me though during the two weeks in between the last playoff game and the Superbowl. For some reason, I have a tough time getting excited about it in comparison to previous games.
I think the same thing will happen for the college NC game. Isn't it scheduled to be played on Jan 19th the first time we have the twelve-team playoff?

I mean, students will be back from being home for Christmas and enrolled in new classes, college basketball will be going, college hockey too, etc. And most of the teams have already had their seasons end a while ago.

Not to turn this into a college playoff argument, but before the CFP, you'd watch a bunch of games on Jan 1st, then maybe the next day or two would have an evening game, and then the NC game still played within the first week of January. It was easy to take in all that football pretty much at once, and then move on.

Bingo! It’s the same with the NBA. When they decided to bleed their playoffs into mid June they abandoned a huge audience who would likely be interested but it’s now the off-season. It would take a major conversion to get them to change the model. MLB doing the same thing with World Series possibly bleeding into November. The greed at the expense of the game is discouraging and nauseating. For what it’s worth, I remember a Vikings super bowl on January 14.
Baseball lost me when they took so many days off between games in the playoffs. If I liked a game I liked seeing the next game the next night, if I don't I'm kinda out of it ..

"We'll see you tomorrow night ... a time to be determined when we might get more viewers ... maybe not even a time you expect."

Baseball lost me when they took so many days off between games in the playoffs. If I liked a game I liked seeing the next game the next night, if I don't I'm kinda out of it ..

"We'll see you tomorrow night ... a time to be determined when we might get more viewers ... maybe not even a time you expect."
One improvement MLB did make last year was they did in fact reduce the off days in the post-season to generally 1 per series. That was spurred by adding a Best of 3 Wild Card/1st Round.

One improvement MLB did make last year was they did in fact reduce the off days in the post-season to generally 1 per series. That was spurred by adding a Best of 3 Wild Card/1st Round.
I did not know that... should give them a spin again this fall.

It just feels more like a continuing story when there are back to back games.

Top Bottom