More Option?

AEmerson40

Reaction score
Was over on syracusefan.com for entertainment and saw this: "They don't have the QBs to beat us with the option like Tech. If we shut down Andre Williams, I'm very confident we can shut down there 'above average' back."

My reaction to this was that I guess they don't understand how good of a runner Nelson or Leidner is. But this made me wonder: will Limegrover steal a leaf from Georgia Tech's playbook (a la Wisconsin's playbook for the Nebraska game) and install some option plays or go back to the read option? I highly doubt Syracuse's defense can stop the run better than MSU, and we did fine against them on the road with no passing game to speak of, but it does seem like the Orange's strength is their run defense, except when facing the option.

So, do you think Limegrover will add in a good dose of option plays or do you think we stick with what we've been doing and continue to use the jet sweep (which is very option-y already)?

I would expect we'll see some read option, it's part of the playbook, and the Orange seemed to be vulnerable to the option. I'd be surprised to see the triple option implemented, that would probably be too much to put together in such a short time. Their fans are underestimating the running ability of our quarterbacks, but I am sure Syracuse's coaches will not be.

They keep talking about how they shut down Andre Williams, but they gave up 191 yards on the ground against BC, good for 5.8 Ya/C.

Lots of jet sweeps and then Cobb up the middle. For the most part we've been able to move the ball efficiently against better defenses than Syracuse. I don't see a need to change that part of the game plan.

They keep talking about how they shut down Andre Williams, but they gave up 191 yards on the ground against BC, good for 5.8 Ya/C.

Yeah, I've read a couple of them over here talk about how they didn't give up a 100 yard rusher against Tech. Granted, they gave up 394 yards (5.9 per) and 7 TDs.

Not that it really matters, but our QBs ran for more yards and TDs than Georgia Tech's QBs.
Vlad Lee - 166 - 489 - 8 TDs
Justin Thomas - 32 - 233 yards - 2 TDs
TOTAL: 198 - 722 - 10 TDs

Phil Nelson: 91 - 350 - 6 TDs
Mitch Leidner - 89 - 383 yards - 7 TDS
TOTAL: 180 - 733 yards - 13 TDs

So our QBs actually ran the ball better than Georgia Tech's QBs.

And

Yeah, I've read a couple of them over here talk about how they didn't give up a 100 yard rusher against Tech. Granted, they gave up 394 yards (5.9 per) and 7 TDs.

Not that it really matters, but our QBs ran for more yards and TDs than Georgia Tech's QBs.
Vlad Lee - 166 - 489 - 8 TDs
Justin Thomas - 32 - 233 yards - 2 TDs
TOTAL: 198 - 722 - 10 TDs

Phil Nelson: 91 - 350 - 6 TDs
Mitch Leidner - 89 - 383 yards - 7 TDS
TOTAL: 180 - 733 yards - 13 TDs

So our QBs actually ran the ball better than Georgia Tech's QBs.

Our quarterbacks may also run more in the bowl game because we do not have another game for eight months or so. Therefore the need to worry about them getting banged up is less urgent versus the immediacy of the typical following Saturday.

Yes, by 'shutting him down', didn't he get hurt vs. 'Cuse? Hence, why his stats were so minimal?

I went back and looked at the box score for 'Cuse v. BC. Looks like Williams have 9 carries for 29 yards and a TD which was scored in the 1st quarter. I am pretty sure he was hurt most of this game, so they won without BC having there best player. I take it for what it is worth, I guess.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=333340183

More Option?

Hell, how about More Cowbell?!

"Babies, when we're finished here, we'll be gold-plated Gophers." - Jerry Kill

I went back and looked at the box score for 'Cuse v. BC. Looks like Williams have 9 carries for 29 yards and a TD which was scored in the 1st quarter. I am pretty sure he was hurt most of this game, so they won without BC having there best player. I take it for what it is worth, I guess.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=333340183

He got hurt just after halftime. And yes, BC still ran for almost 200 yards and EEKED out a 3-point win. If Williams doesn't get hurt, they likely lose. The funny thing is, I read over there that Williams only got hurt because of how beastly their defenders are and how hard they hit him. Nothing like celebrating the fact that you injured another teams' player.

Their run defense numbers are heavily skewed by a pair of games in which they gave up 25 yards or less on the ground; which happened to be against the 112nd and 115th best rushing teams in the nation. One of them, Wake Forest, their primary back averaged more than 5 yards a carry; only problem was, they only gave it to him 9 times.

Their game against PSU was the first ever college football game for true-freshman Lion QB Hackenberg and he almost threw for 300 yards. The game against Northwestern, NU did have Colter available (but dinged up I believe?) but did not have Veneric Mark.... and they still lost by 21.

And let's not forget they lost 3 games by a combined 164-17. The 'Cuse hardly has anything to boast about.

Somewhere I saw one of the 'Cuse fans write that Williams was hurt during the third quarter, but I don't think it matters either way. Our coaches will run whatever offense they feel will build the most momentum for next season. IMO, we will continue to master the offense we have in place, with wrinkles the coaches throw in based on what they see on tape. If we see option (outside of what we've already seen) we won't see much, as that's not what the coaches want our offense to look like. 'Cuse reminds me of us last year; pretty average. We are above average this year, and have handled teams like this. The kind of football we've played the past six weeks beats Syracuse. I think it will look a lot like our game against Penn State.

Top Bottom