More Fulmer Smoke

tjgesquire

Team Ginger
Reaction score
Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer has emerged as a possible candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Minnesota, according to several media reports.

“Minnesota has great potential, and with its new facilities it’s a place you could recruit to,’’ Fulmer told the News Sentinel on Tuesday night. “I believe it’s a place where you can compete.’’

Fulmer, who was forced to resign near the end of the Vols’ 5-7 season in 2008, was non-committal when asked if he was interested in the Gophers’ position or if he has had contact with the school.

Former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster was fired more than two weeks ago.

Since then, NBCsports.com has reported that Randy Shannon, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Scott Linehan, Jeff Jagodzinski and Marc Trestman have “popped up” as potential candidates.

On Tuesday, The Sporting News reported Fulmer is the latest name on that list.

Fulmer compiled a 152-52 record at UT during his 17-year tenure as the Vols head coach and led Tennessee to the 1998 national championship.

Fulmer also took the Vols to the SEC championship game five of his last 11 years, the most recent in 2007.

The 60-year-old Fulmer has spent the past two years working for CBS Sports on their SEC coverage.

Fulmer’s analysis included criticism of how former UT coach Lane Kiffin represented Tennessee. He also said he likes what current Vols coach Derek Dooley stands for and supported the hire.

Fulmer played offensive guard at UT from 1968-71, and served as an offensive line coach and offensive coordinator under former Vols coach Johnny Majors from 1980-1992.

Tennessee had 91 players drafted into the NFL during Fulmer’s head coaching tenure, including 17 first-round selections.

The Vols finished ranked in the top 25 in 13 of Fulmer’s 17 seasons, and finished ranked in the top 10 on six occasions.

Knoxville News Sentinel

With both Belotti and Fulmer near that 60 year old mark, would we take Fulmer over Belotti?

I'd personally take Bellotti over Fulmer. Do you take Fulmer now over a maybe from Bellotti for the next month and a half though? I don't know. I do want the administration to vet all the top options before making a choice, but I also don't want to be left at the alter come mid-December.

Interesting quotes. Thanks for the update

I would take Fulmer. He has been largely competitive in the toughest conference in college football. He has won the ultimate prize and landed one of the biggest recruits in the last two decades who didn't have a tie to the program and was from out of state.

I'd personally take Bellotti over Fulmer. Do you take Fulmer now over a maybe from Bellotti for the next month and a half though? I don't know. I do want the administration to vet all the top options before making a choice, but I also don't want to be left at the alter come mid-December.

Interesting quotes. Thanks for the update

I think with 2 PAC 12 jobs about to open (CO and Wash St) we won't have a shot at Belotti.

I would take Fulmer. He has been largely competitive in the toughest conference in college football. He has won the ultimate prize and landed one of the biggest recruits in the last two decades who didn't have a tie to the program and was from out of state.

i assume you are not talking about manning but rather former gopher raymond henderson who fulmer initially landed despite having no ties to the vols program and was from wisconsin, before transferring to minnesota where his impact was davit pittman like.

Fulmer was run out of town unfairly at Tennessee, but he's not a good fit for the Minnesota job.

He's never had to build anything in Knoxville. He took over for Johnny Majors and continued a program that was already winning 70% of its games. Fulmer's demise was largely connected to a brand new offensive coordinator (Dave Clawson) who installed an offense that Fulmer's old personnel could not run.

Additionally, Peyton Manning was recruited heavily by David Cutcliffe (who took a job as Head Coach and Ole Miss, got fired and was UT's offensive coordinator again, and now his Duke's HC).

Phil's a good guy and while his discipline was questioned at times--- he's not the right guy to build a program. If we were looking for someone to take over for Glen Mason and get us over the 7-8 win hump, I'd feel differently.

I could live with Fulmer. Anybody know what type of offensive & defensive schemes he ran?

i assume you are not talking about manning but rather former gopher raymond henderson who fulmer initially landed despite having no ties to the vols program and was from wisconsin, before transferring to minnesota where his impact was davit pittman like.

Raymond Henderson? Really? Hang on, let me clean up the spit take on my keyboard.

I think he was referring to Peyton Manning. Even if Cutcliffe was a big factor in recruiting him, there's still no getting around that Fulmer was part of the process.

Raymond Henderson? Really? Hang on, let me clean up the spit take on my keyboard.

I think he was referring to Peyton Manning. Even if Cutcliffe was a big factor in recruiting him, there's still no getting around that Fulmer was part of the process.

+1. Say what you will about Archie Manning, but he seems to have a pretty good handle on where his boys can go and be successful. Even if Cutcilffe was the main recruiter (and I'm sure he was), Fulmer was still the head of the program.

I think with 2 PAC 12 jobs about to open (CO and Wash St) we won't have a shot at Belotti.
Neither of those are very good jobs, but ASU might part ways with Erickson which is a better position.

+1. Say what you will about Archie Manning, but he seems to have a pretty good handle on where his boys can go and be successful. Even if Cutcilffe was the main recruiter (and I'm sure he was), Fulmer was still the head of the program.

And Brewster recruited Vince Young.:rolleyes:

Neither of those are very good jobs, but ASU might part ways with Erickson which is a better position.

They might not be better jobs, but they would be more atractive to recruits in the areas he is used to recruiting.

I agree, I also think Bellotti might not be as quick to jump to a PAC 10 school out of respect for Oregon. Just my simple thoughts.

I do not think a 60 year old head coach is the answer for Minnesota. If that's the answer the clear choice would be Fulmer. There isn't any comparison of the two that doesn't put Fulmer ahead. The fact that he could begin on Thursday afternoon is the clincher.

I read on another board -- from someone citing SEC "sources" -- that Fulmer wants the job, but he ultimately won't get it because Marc Trestman is the front-runner.

When will this Trestman crap stop?

Well he doesn't look very healthy. The man looks like he eats a diet of grease and sin.

Maybe that is why he is so interested in the MN job, get back to the states and close the Mayo clinic and avoid the long waiting list that is Canadian healthcare.

Manning

Manning was an easy recruit for UT given the circumstances. He was a legacy to go to Ole Miss like his Dad and brother, but stayed close and went over the boarder to UT when Ole Miss was on probation. No probation and he would have been at Ole Miss as well.

And Brewster recruited Vince Young.:rolleyes:

If Brewster doesn't get credit for landing Vince Young because Mack Brown is the head coach (which I agree with), then Fulmer gets some credit for landing Peyton Manning. You can't have it both ways.

He would at least know what he is doing. Would be a good choice after the Brewster fiasco. I'd be happy with Fulmer.

Top Bottom