MN - WI - IA

mplsbadger

Reaction score
Killing some time I wondered if exceptional season results typically accompany winning the MN/WI/IA round robin each year.

The average wins when a team has swept are between 8 and 9. 24 times a team has won this round robin since 1980. 21 times they've gone bowling. 13 are current new years day bowls - including 11 of the last 12. 5 are BCS bowls (Wisconsin also qualified for the Rose Bowl in a year that they did not play Iowa). 3 times the winner has not gone bowling - sadly these represent the three times the Gophers have won the series. It suggests that the only thing standing between the U and new years day bowl games is their traditional rivals (rather than UM, PSU, OSU).

For what it's worth the results are below.

UW/IA MN/IA UW/MN Record Bowl
1980 MN IA WI
1981 MN IA WI
1982 IA IA WI 8-4 Peach Bowl
1983 IA IA WI 9-3 Gator Bowl

1984 MN Tie MN 4-7 No Bowl
1985 IA IA MN 10-2 Rose Bowl
1986 IA IA MN 9-3 Holiday Bowl
1987 IA IA MN 10-3 Holiday Bowl
1988 IA IA WI 6-4-3 Peach Bowl

1989 MN IA MN 6-5 No Bowl
1990 MN IA MN 6-5 No Bowl

1991 IA IA WI 10-1-1 Holiday Bowl
1992 MN IA WI
1993 IA - MN
1994 IA - MN
1995 IA IA WI 8-4 Sun Bowl
1996 IA IA WI 9-3 Alamo Bowl

1997 IA WI WI 8-5 Outback Bowl
1998 MN WI WI 11-2 Rose Bowl
1999 MN WI WI 10-2 Rose Bowl
2000 MN WI WI 9-4 Sun Bowl

2001 IA WI MN
2002 IA IA WI 11-2 Orange Bowl
2003 IA IA MN 10-3 Outback Bowl
2004 IA IA WI 10-3 Capital One
2005 IA IA WI 7-5 Outback Bowl

2006 MN WI WI 12-1 Capital One Bowl
2007 IA WI WI 9-4 Outback Bowl

2008 IA IA WI 9-4 Outback Bowl
2009 IA IA WI 11-2 Orange Bowl

I concur, the gophers must begin competing with their border rivals again if they hope to get over the hump. Can Brewster lead this charge? Known results indicate the answer is no (0-6).

"Known results indicate the answer is no"....that might be the dumbest phrase i've heard.

I suppose you think Pat Fitzgerald will always own Kirk Ferentz, I suppose you think that Matt Barkley (USC) will always be a QB of a .500 team? Those are known results...

According to known results, it will never snow in Minnesota in March.

the price of tea grown in China has moved down a point.

Every time Minnesota wins the round robin, we don't go bowling. What that tells us is that we aren't beating our rivals, but rather the rivals are just that pathetic those seasons.

"Known results indicate the answer is no"....that might be the dumbest phrase i've heard.

I suppose you think Pat Fitzgerald will always own Kirk Ferentz, I suppose you think that Matt Barkley (USC) will always be a QB of a .500 team? Those are known results...

Pat Fitzgerald has Iowa's number. This past season he was helped tremendously by the injury to Ricky Stanzi. Over the last 3 seasons Brewster has not won a single rivalry game or a bowl game. He may or may not begin changing that but based on what Iowa and Wisconsin look like on paper compared to Minnesota the trend will probably not change.

Pat Fitzgerald has Iowa's number. This past season he was helped tremendously by the injury to Ricky Stanzi. Over the last 3 seasons Brewster has not won a single rivalry game or a bowl game. He may or may not begin changing that but based on what Iowa and Wisconsin look like on paper compared to Minnesota the trend will probably not change.

Luckily the games aren't played on paper. And truthfully, with the loss of defensive MVP and high draft pick O'Brien S, the Badgers are going to take a step back on the D-line. If the Gophers can do anything on offense that game is a toss up. Iowa will be a tougher challenge (as Iowa is the 2nd best team in the Big Ten ON PAPER (next to NC Ohio State), but the Gophers will be better than you think this year. With Kinnick North a thing of the past I wouldn't count the Gophers out just yet in the battle for Floyd of Rosedale.

Hold on a minute. Not trying to an ass or anything, but didn't you say in another thread that you expect the Gophers to start getting better pretty soon? Or is this statement made solely on the basis of what you see for this year? Just trying to understand how you think that the Gophers are going to get better soon but that the current trend "will probably not change"?

Hold on a minute. Not trying to an ass or anything, but didn't you say in another thread that you expect the Gophers to start getting better pretty soon? Or is this statement made solely on the basis of what you see for this year? Just trying to understand how you think that the Gophers are going to get better soon but that the current trend "will probably not change"?

Because he is a troll in sheep's clothing. He changes his assumptions to fit the post, to keep people responding to him and to keep trying to "stick the needle". Just ignore.

Kirk Ferentz record versus border rivals in first three years:

1-5 (if you consider the the rivalries MN and WI) beats minnesota in his third year.:clap:

1-4 (if you consider the rivalries MN and ILL, however iowa missed the 10-2 illini in 2001 so probably would have been 1-5)

throw their other rivalry, iowa state in there and that is 2 more losses.

you want me to keep going?

OK, against iowa's main rivals, MN, ILL, and ISU ferentz was 1-9 in his first three years.

but yeah, minnesota will never beat another rival with brewster.

Top Bottom