MN vs Maryland - 2 Major Differences

BarnBurner

Reaction score
Maryland has a number of really good freshmen.

Maryland has a really good head coach.

Also - I am tired of seeing the stat regarding 4 of 5 losses by a total of 11 points.

Also - I am tired of seeing the stat regarding 4 of 5 losses by a total of 11 points.

That's good, because now you'll see either 4 of 6 by 11 points, or 5 of 6 by 18 points.

Biggest difference, one team allowed 59 points in a half, the other didn't.

Yes and Yes.

There just aren't enough quality players on the team at this point to prevail over 40 minutes against a team that has enough of them. Hurt is only in there for a few minutes a game to give a breather and he does almost nothing. Konate is so limited that he can't get many minutes in the second half of a close game. We know Murphy has the ability to be good but he's been in a funk for a good bit of the season. Lynch is very valuable but also very foul prone. Too much pressure put on a small number of players who aren't superstars to play at their best for too many minutes.

And you're right that Pitino's coaching hasn't been impressive over this stretch. Why was no one looking for Springs late in the second half when he's been the team's best offensive player lately?

Biggest difference is our "veterans" Murphy and Mason are not playing good. Mason's shooting has been horrendous during the last 4 or 5 games. The one guy I was afraid to see take over a game (Springs) is now the one I wish would take over a game because at least he's shooting well. He doesn't make bone head mistakes Murphy makes, and he's more aggressive than Mason. McBrayer tries to be too cute and dribbles too much. Hopefully we are a bubble team and get in.

Coaching, perhaps?

One team scored 59 too

Could be coaching. Coaches, after all, put players on the floor to make plays. So Turgeon put out a bunch of freshmen who shot the ****ing lights out. Great coaching move, that's all that was, right? And Pitino put out a bunch of guys on the floor who failed to hit shots down the stretch, missed some key FTs, got called for a few questionable fouls, and failed defensive assignments. Poor coaching move, that's all that was, right?

Is it coaching that Mason stopped driving after his big scoring run to open the 2nd half, or that Coffey stopped shooting, even open 3s, and disappeared from the game on both ends of the floor? Is it coaching that Jordan Murphy never knows where his man is, or that on the biggest defensive rebound of the game the ball got deflected off of our player's face right into the hands of a MY guy under the basket? I dunno. I guess so.

Yes and Yes.

There just aren't enough quality players on the team at this point to prevail over 40 minutes against a team that has enough of them. Hurt is only in there for a few minutes a game to give a breather and he does almost nothing. Konate is so limited that he can't get many minutes in the second half of a close game. We know Murphy has the ability to be good but he's been in a funk for a good bit of the season. Lynch is very valuable but also very foul prone. Too much pressure put on a small number of players who aren't superstars to play at their best for too many minutes.

And you're right that Pitino's coaching hasn't been impressive over this stretch. Why was no one looking for Springs late in the second half when he's been the team's best offensive player lately?

Because the team is selfish more than team-driven. What happens over a long stretch of opponent momentum each and every important game? The other team starts hitting shots, the Gopher panic on both ends of the floor. On O, they stop using the offensive plays that had worked very well earlier, reverting to an every-man-for-himself offense that only makes sense in the depths of Ayn Rand fanclub boards or Armageddon. On D, they try too hard to block shots and leave opponents wide open. The run deepens, and a win turns into a loss.

Could be coaching. Coaches, after all, put players on the floor to make plays. So Turgeon put out a bunch of freshmen who shot the ****ing lights out. Great coaching move, that's all that was, right? And Pitino put out a bunch of guys on the floor who failed to hit shots down the stretch, missed some key FTs, got called for a few questionable fouls, and failed defensive assignments. Poor coaching move, that's all that was, right?

Is it coaching that Mason stopped driving after his big scoring run to open the 2nd half, or that Coffey stopped shooting, even open 3s, and disappeared from the game on both ends of the floor? Is it coaching that Jordan Murphy never knows where his man is, or that on the biggest defensive rebound of the game the ball got deflected off of our player's face right into the hands of a MY guy under the basket? I dunno. I guess so.

You believe it is all on the players. Ok.

Seems obvious that may be incorrect.

Coaching plays factor when your not tough enough to defend every possession to the end of the earth. You should never give up 59 in one half at home. I can not think of any great coaches that have done that. Fix the defense and the wins will follow.

You believe it is all on the players. Ok.

Seems obvious that may be incorrect.

Seems that you missed the words "Could be coaching", "I dunno", and "I guess so." You seem to be blaming the coach for a bunch of close losses where players failed to make plays. In your vein of thought, was Pitino fully responsible for the Gophers beating Purdue in OT when things were looking far better?

You can't blame the coach only for losses and praise players for wins. It's a combination. It's pretty clear that the players are failing to make plays that would win games come crunch time. I think we all have to just wait this out, for better or worse. Blaming the coach for things that you cannot directly specify helps nothing.

Seems that you missed the words "Could be coaching", "I dunno", and "I guess so." You seem to be blaming the coach for a bunch of close losses where players failed to make plays. In your vein of thought, was Pitino fully responsible for the Gophers beating Purdue in OT when things were looking far better?

You can't blame the coach only for losses and praise players for wins. It's a combination. It's pretty clear that the players are failing to make plays that would win games come crunch time. I think we all have to just wait this out, for better or worse. Blaming the coach for things that you cannot directly specify helps nothing.

My original post says Maryland has better fr and coaching. I believe that to be correct.

I dont blame the losses all on coaching. Nor all wins to players.

Do you believe Maryland has the advantage in coaches?

Coaching plays factor when your not tough enough to defend every possession to the end of the earth. You should never give up 59 in one half at home. I can not think of any great coaches that have done that. Fix the defense and the wins will follow.

Dont mention it to cncminn

Biggest difference, one team allowed 59 points in a half, the other didn't.
Yeah, the other team allowed 49 points in a half. Not much difference there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well it is very easy to do when you have a coach who says that he "doesn't like coaching during games."

Last time I checked, there was a guy on the bench whose job is to draw up plays, and tell the players what to do. I think they call him the..........coach. If Pitino is telling them to do one thing, and the players are doing something else, that's a problem. Tom Kelly - who won 2 World Series titles - always says the job of the coach or manager is to put players in a position where they have a better chance of success and a lower chance of failure. Pitino can certainly stand to improve in that area.

Well it is very easy to do when you have a coach who says that he "doesn't like coaching during games."

Some people are really latching onto this quote. I'm pretty sure all he's saying is, "There are parts of my job that I dislike doing," which I would imagine is true for most people.

Yeah, the other team allowed 49 points in a half. Not much difference there.

True enough. My tough stat of the day and there were plenty of candidates was three point shooting by Maryland in the second half. Maryland was 7-9 in the 2nd and it included all of the makes in a 10 min 2 sec stretch starting at 17:24. Naturally during that stretch was a 32 point concentration of offense. Just as important their offense could run with sky high confidence and perhaps even played a bit more relaxed as a result. It is probably more amazing that the Gophers scored 49 in the half without the same 3 point benefit.

Last time I checked, there was a guy on the bench whose job is to draw up plays, and tell the players what to do. I think they call him the..........coach. If Pitino is telling them to do one thing, and the players are doing something else, that's a problem. Tom Kelly - who won 2 World Series titles - always says the job of the coach or manager is to put players in a position where they have a better chance of success and a lower chance of failure. Pitino can certainly stand to improve in that area.

SON, I would note that Tom Kelly had a lot of losing teams, too. Point being, coaches can only do so much.

My original post says Maryland has better fr and coaching. I believe that to be correct.

I dont blame the losses all on coaching. Nor all wins to players.

Do you believe Maryland has the advantage in coaches?

Maryland appears to have better players this season, and an older, wiser coaching staff. They had the advantage in both. We had the advantage of home court. The game should have been a tossup. It was, with Gophers on the losing side (again).

Maryland appears to have better players this season, and an older, wiser coaching staff. They had the advantage in both. We had the advantage of home court. The game should have been a tossup. It was, with Gophers on the losing side (again).

Does Maryland have better freshmen overall?

Does Maryland have a better head coach?

Yes or no.

Top Bottom