MN in top 4 for Khadim Sy

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score

2019-20 (JUNIOR): Appeared in 31 games, making 29 starts and averaging 29.5 minutes per game … Ranked second on the team in rebounds (170) and blocks (25) … Scored 9.0 ppg and pulled down 5.5 rpg … Shot 52.5 percent (106 of 202) from the field, 26.9 percent (7 of 26) from beyond the arc and 72.6 percent (61 of 84) from the free throw line … Reached double figures in 15 games, including a career-high 20 in the win over Southeastern Louisiana (12/21) … Pulled down eight rebounds (career high) in five different games … Registered three blocks at Wichita State (1/4) and at Mississippi State (3/7), tied for the most in a single game by a Rebel throughout the season … Scored 18 points, his most in an SEC game, on 7 of 12 shooting in the blowout win over Mississippi State (2/11) … Led the Rebels in rebounding in nine different games … Scored 16 points in the victory at Georgia (1/25).

His stats from 20-21 were much much worse. Earned 1/2 the minutes, scored 1/2 the points. He did shoot 100% on 3s so that is nice.

His next college is his fourth one.
He averaged 3.1 ppg last year.
He did play for Oak Hill so he must have talent in there to get out.
Would he be our best big?
Hopefully, we find out.

yeesh not salivating over the prospect, but beggars cant be choosers.
Need bodies to get through the season. Very clear at this point that 21-22 season is not a priority in any way shape or form and that the focus is squarely on 22 and beyond. That is going to be tough for some fans to swallow but it is what it is at this point.

Hopefully we see some signs of good things happening in regards to the 2022 class to give fans something to look forward to during what is likely to be a rough year.

His stats from 20-21 were much much worse. Earned 1/2 the minutes, scored 1/2 the points. He did shoot 100% on 3s so that is nice.
ole miss brought in romello white from ASU as a grad transfer and looks like he took Sy's minutes last year. I'd be okay with SY's 19-20 numbers. He's from senegal - maybe that gives the gophers a slight advantage?

Need bodies to get through the season. Very clear at this point that 21-22 season is not a priority in any way shape or form and that the focus is squarely on 22 and beyond. That is going to be tough for some fans to swallow but it is what it is at this point.

Hopefully we see some signs of good things happening in regards to the 2022 class to give fans something to look forward to during what is likely to be a rough year.
Agreed 21-22 will be tough on an already frustrated fan base. Curious to see how it works out. Unfortunately they don’t have to try to win in 21-22 but they will want fans to pay for tickets.

Truth

Agreed 21-22 will be tough on an already frustrated fan base. Curious to see how it works out. Unfortunately they don’t have to try to win in 21-22 but they will want fans to pay for tickets.
The attendance issue is going to be an interesting one to watch. I have no doubt they would have lost a number of fans during the 20-21 season if they had been allowed to attend but of course there is no way of knowing that due to Covid.

Selling tickets in 21-22 is going to be difficult as well because there is not much there roster wise that is going to get people excited. You just have to hope people set their expectations correctly and look for other reasons to go out and support the team even knowing the win/loss record might be rough and the majority of the team will once again turn over after the season ends to be replaced by what is likely to be a very big freshman class.

They will probably benefit some from people who are anxious to get back out to live sporting events. Hopefully the team surprises us some and plays well together. You can win some games in basketball if you have the right players, even if they are not the most talented players on the court.

They will probably benefit some from people who are anxious to get back out to live sporting events. Hopefully the team surprises us some and plays well together. You can win some games in basketball if you have the right players, even if they are not the most talented players on the court.

That will be what makes the home games fun for at least the first 5 home games, after that I think it will be based on how the team is doing/playing

The attendance issue is going to be an interesting one to watch. I have no doubt they would have lost a number of fans during the 20-21 season if they had been allowed to attend but of course there is no way of knowing that due to Covid.

Selling tickets in 21-22 is going to be difficult as well because there is not much there roster wise that is going to get people excited. You just have to hope people set their expectations correctly and look for other reasons to go out and support the team even knowing the win/loss record might be rough and the majority of the team will once again turn over after the season ends to be replaced by what is likely to be a very big freshman class.

I had plans to buy season tickets for the first time, but not anymore.

I had plans to buy season tickets for the first time, but not anymore.
And that is 100% a fair decision. Buying season tickets is a big decision and can be a significant financial commitment. I don't know what the typical basketball package runs but it would be a tough sell to spend a lot of money on the upcoming season.

And that is 100% a fair decision. Buying season tickets is a big decision and can be a significant financial commitment. I don't know what the typical basketball package runs but it would be a tough sell to spend a lot of money on the upcoming season.
For sure. If I’m not mistaken, the floor is $1200 for two seats near the top. Which is a lot, but pretty affordable after a decade of considering it. Prices jump a bit as you move closer because all other packages require a donation or something, but I actually like the upper level behind the basket. Can digest most of the action.

At this point- if I am coach Johnson, sure go ahead and sign this guy, but I think they have to strongly consider going with Ihnen at center.

At this point- if I am coach Johnson, sure go ahead and sign this guy, but I think they have to strongly consider going with Ihnen at center.
If Ihnen starts at the 5, who starts at the 4?

Wills/Sutherlin? Grasping at straws now, Willis and Ihnen only players with any familiarity hahah
I hate playing multiple guys out of position. We tried that when Al Nolen got hurt and Blake played PG and everyone moved up a spot. It was ugly. I'd let Treyton Thompson go out there and take his lumps before I'd do that.

Hopefully we get Mitchell. Luowe, Willis, Battle, Ihnen and Mitchell isn't too awful under the circumstances I guess.

I hate playing multiple guys out of position. We tried that when Al Nolen got hurt and Blake played PG and everyone moved up a spot. It was ugly. I'd let Treyton Thompson go out there and take his lumps before I'd do that.

Hopefully we get Mitchell. Luowe, Willis, Battle, Ihnen and Mitchell isn't too awful under the circumstances I guess.
Agree about playing people out of position if you can avoid it, still a lot of roster spots so likely they will not have to.

Unless you have $$ to burn, I don't know why you would. I have a feeling you'll be able to get into any game not against Wisconsin or Iowa for less than face value.
To support the program and the team? Seems like an excellent reason to me.

Likely Ben Johnson swung and missed on attracting a few of the solid offensive/defensive or borderline 4-star frontcourt type players in the portal, sought also by numerous major colleges...His direction now might shift to filling the roster with considered average or previous bench talent that he will attempt to coach-up or warm-body position fill-in for only the upcoming season, since many have only one year of eligibility left...Johnson will need to be a productive recruiter 2022 replacing several of these players minus the maiden excuse even if the team finishes dead last in the Big Ten 2021-22...Losing out on highly regarded Minnesota native Eli King to another team with a new coach and previous pathetic record {Iowa State} is considered, far from a good start, we hope with talented Minnesota kids Ben Johnson can improve in connecting a solid relationship and desire to play for the maroon & gold....

If Ihnen starts at the 5, who starts at the 4?
I have no idea. The one thing I know about Ihnen was that over the course of last year started to get better and better at guarding big guys who were posting up on him. It just doesn't look like we are going to have anyone else that can do that.

Unless you have $$ to burn, I don't know why you would. I have a feeling you'll be able to get into any game not against Wisconsin or Iowa for less than face value.
That is not rare even in better years. STHers are vital but not valued. Oh cool! I get 10% off all food purchases but most vendors are volunteers and don’t know how to apply it. I won’t renew my tickets and will never get a personal email or call. I’m not special but reaching out would be good.

I have no idea. The one thing I know about Ihnen was that over the course of last year started to get better and better at guarding big guys who were posting up on him. It just doesn't look like we are going to have anyone else that can do that.
Ihnen is so long. I agree with you.

Top Bottom