MN Daily: Since opening in 2009, TCF Bank Stadium has only sold out three times.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

In addition to the team’s poor play over the years, Othen said the cold Minnesota weather keeps even more students away from games late in the season.

“People sometimes view [football] as a warm-weather, social event,” he said. “When it starts to get cold, there’s barely anyone in the stands.”

It’s that feeling of campus unity that Minnesota lacks, Othen said. While winning more games will help, he said, it’s up to the students to commit to supporting the team through good times and bad.

“The stadium should fill up,” Othen said. “There needs to be some kind of centralized feeling, something that can bring a campus together.”

http://www.mndaily.com/news/campus/2013/10/09/student-attendance-decreases-nationally

Go Gophers!!

Blatantly false and misleading headline. They contradict their own headline right in the article. What a shoddy excuse for journalism.

Blatantly false and misleading headline. They contradict their own headline right in the article. What a shoddy excuse for journalism.

I think we have reached a point in society where we just call it "journalism" and accept that it is shoddy and misleading. Far rarer is the quality, thoroughly researched well written piece than the blogger written trash posing as a news article.

Blame the headline writer for leaving out an important word in the headline. Season.

If the headline read:

Since the Opening Season in 2009, TCF Bank Stadium has Only Sold Out 3 Times, it would have been correct.

Remember, headline writers are towards the bottom of the food chain for a reason.

Looking at the article itself, the author did a good job pointing out that student attendance is down even at major powers. He also does a good job at getting views from other schools.

I also liked that the U student he interviewed had the last word about how a filled student section helps bring the campus together.

Any good will that would have built up in 2009 from the new Stadium opening was kind of pooped away with Brewsters coaching debacle, Rose Bowl grass, and the poorly handled opportunity from the beginning to win over new fans.
Stadium logistics from the opening were handled poorly. Concession lines and lack of cash registers and St Paul shuttle lines in 2009 turned off a lot of casual fans and gave off a bad impression that the U didn't know what it was doing. The U has fixed a lot of those issues, game day is concsistently better every year.

Combine that with Brewster getting hired by Maturi,(hard to repair this image) and losing to teams like South Dakota and North Dakota State, and the drubbings by conference rivals Wisconsin and Iowa. 2008 ended on a really sour note.
and the poor treatment of the student section when Joel decided it was important to search everyone as a student in case they might be underage and have booze and there you go.
It isn't just the football, the U has never done a real good job selling college football and game day as a gathering place for community and they started that when Mckay and some of the Boosters sold the idea of moving to the Metrodome downtown would improve recruiting for the program. They should have recent Alumni sections near the student section that maybe have a slightly discounted pricing until those people are more established in there careers, as maybe a thank you for having graduated.

Instead of developing a tailgating scene at TCF that would develop organically and get people used to it over time they decided to hammer people with large donation requests from the get go. Again there should have been tiered pricing based on locations, or even a payment plan for the passes and a ramp up in pricing over time. The U doesn't value any loyalty for season ticket holders that have purchased football tickets for 15 , 20 30 years, there really are not a lot of perks for staying with the program. Most of us diehards don't care about that but it would be nice if the U would actually acknowledge season ticket holders are valued.

I realize the U needs to make money hence all of the advertising during games, and donation stuff,
but they really should have done graduated or demand based donation requests in the initial years of the stadium. Once you hook them for tailgating, it is easier to sell the donation requests for tailgating spots, even , more desirable stadium seating,
then to just go right for the gusto of a large donation request and leave a lot of tailgating spots that surround the stadium empty. They could use demand based pricing to sell there less desirable seats, eventually they would get full price for more seats with more success, they just need to get people to give Gopher football a chance by getting them in the door. They need these donations to fund scholarships, they need to come up with a better sales plan, and more compelling reasons to get people to part with there money when contributing to the Williams fund. The University does a lot of we want your money, with out creating a good impression that the person is receiving good value in doing that paying more, or a tangible idea of what this stuff funds.

Starting to think that Bleed hates Gopherhole..

When one considers how horrible the team has been recently and historically I think the attendance has been pretty impressive.

I wonder if there is any place in the world where the fans, year after year, fill the stadium despite the home team continually posting a losing record. If there is such a place I bet the fans would be ridiculed for being simpletons. I don't know of any examples. I think you can make a case for poor fan support if the team is winning and the stadium doesn't fill up. But not the other way around. A core group will always hope for the best and support the team through thick and thin, but to expect 50-60,000 people to do that every game is kind of far-fetched. I'm pretty sure the Gopher coaches would agree that the Iowa game was not good entertainment and probably turned a large number of people off. I still hope we can turn the season around, but with each loss it becomes harder.

it has nothing to do with cold weather like the writer mentions. if we're winning, that stadium will still be packed. its just when you get rocked in several big ten games, who wants to go watch us get rocked again and be cold?

I wonder if there is any place in the world where the fans, year after year, fill the stadium despite the home team continually posting a losing record. If there is such a place I bet the fans would be ridiculed for being simpletons. I don't know of any examples. I think you can make a case for poor fan support if the team is winning and the stadium doesn't fill up. But not the other way around. A core group will always hope for the best and support the team through thick and thin, but to expect 50-60,000 people to do that every game is kind of far-fetched. I'm pretty sure the Gopher coaches would agree that the Iowa game was not good entertainment and probably turned a large number of people off. I still hope we can turn the season around, but with each loss it becomes harder.

Chicago Cubs? Point proven?

it has nothing to do with cold weather like the writer mentions. if we're winning, that stadium will still be packed. its just when you get rocked in several big ten games, who wants to go watch us get rocked again and be cold?

This guy. You wanna know why? Because I am a Gopher fan through the best and worst of times. Doesn't matter if they lose 50 times in a row, I will still be there cheering them on.

Any good will that would have built up in 2009 from the new Stadium opening was kind of pooped away with Brewsters coaching debacle, Rose Bowl grass, and the poorly handled opportunity from the beginning to win over new fans.

Don't disagree with most of your post, but the part above is just wrong. The Rose Bowl grass had nothing to do with students not showing up and Brew did more than most with trying to win over new fans. The guy worked hard-he just couldn't coach.

This guy. You wanna know why? Because I am a Gopher fan through the best and worst of times. Doesn't matter if they lose 50 times in a row, I will still be there cheering them on.

That's because you fit into the diehard category. The average fan wants to see a winning team, plain and simple. I have a friend who is a die-hard Gopher hockey fan and claims to be a big football fan yet wouldn't go in on tickets with me to any game after SJSU because he "didn't want to sit in the cold". This is the same guy who is excited to go and watch the outdoor hockey game at TCF.

That's because you fit into the diehard category. The average fan wants to see a winning team, plain and simple. I have a friend who is a die-hard Gopher hockey fan and claims to be a big football fan yet wouldn't go in on tickets with me to any game after SJSU because he "didn't want to sit in the cold". This is the same guy who is excited to go and watch the outdoor hockey game at TCF.

Short of wins, the average fan wants to see the team put up a good performance. What we have seen the last 2 weeks falls way short. There is a chance to redeem themselves on the 19th at Evanston.

Don't disagree with most of your post, but the part above is just wrong. The Rose Bowl grass had nothing to do with students not showing up and Brew did more than most with trying to win over new fans. The guy worked hard-he just couldn't coach.

+1 I doubt even one person decided not to go to a game because of the Rose Bowl grass. If Brewster had worked out gotten to the Rose Bowl, the Rose Bowl turf would be looked on fondly as a tradition.

The real headline:

Student attendance decreases nationally

Guess Bleed thought that wouldn't get any clicks? :cool:

I was just like you. I was a season ticket holder for years and years and the U could count on my check every off season. But then life happens...marriage, kids, mortgage...money and free time got tight. I had to make a choice and I came to the difficult decision that watching us beat up on a joke of non-conference schedule and then get throttled by actual Big Ten competition wasn't worth it anymore. Throw in the fact that now that TCF Stadium sells beer during the game and the atmosphere on the shuttle bus back to the St. Paul lot isn't exactly "kid-friendly"...well, the U lost my yearly contribution. I realize that many of you will see me as "less of a fan" because of this, but with lagging ticket sales and many many empty seats at TCF...I've come to the realization that it's not just the casual fan the U is losing...it's losing die-hards like me, as well.

Precisetly. I'm a hockey guy, but I also follow Gopher football pretty closely and always get season tickets. When it comes to sports marketing and ticket sales, people are classified into one of three groups (at the highest level of generality: there are diehard fans who will be there no matter what, there are people with no interest in the product and will not buy tickets under pretty much any circumstances, and then there are the people the marketing department actually needs to spend time on. That third groups includes everyone from current or potential season ticket holders who are not married to the tickets through people who might try to get out to one game during a season if the product is attractive enough. That group is so diverse in their interests that any number of factors matter. People in that group can be swayed heavily by competitiveness of the product, but other factors can have a meaningful impact on their willingness to come out. This can range from the weather to the availability of food/beer that they like to concession lines to bathroom availability to parking availability to just about anything else. That is why I think the thread on the gameday experience at TCF got so much traction early in the year. We have not had a competitive product in a while, so the U really needs to make sure they are on top of their game when it comes to all of the other stuff, because the passive fans need a reason to come out or they will go to one of the other shows in town.

Precisetly. I'm a hockey guy, but I also follow Gopher football pretty closely and always get season tickets. When it comes to sports marketing and ticket sales, people are classified into one of three groups (at the highest level of generality: there are diehard fans who will be there no matter what, there are people with no interest in the product and will not buy tickets under pretty much any circumstances, and then there are the people the marketing department actually needs to spend time on. That third groups includes everyone from current or potential season ticket holders who are not married to the tickets through people who might try to get out to one game during a season if the product is attractive enough. That group is so diverse in their interests that any number of factors matter. People in that group can be swayed heavily by competitiveness of the product, but other factors can have a meaningful impact on their willingness to come out. This can range from the weather to the availability of food/beer that they like to concession lines to bathroom availability to parking availability to just about anything else. That is why I think the thread on the gameday experience at TCF got so much traction early in the year. We have not had a competitive product in a while, so the U really needs to make sure they are on top of their game when it comes to all of the other stuff, because the passive fans need a reason to come out or they will go to one of the other shows in town.

I think another issue that U marketers have to battle is the fact that every Saturday I can watch the game in the comfort of my own home in HD on BTN or ESPN. Not having to deal with parking fees, shuttle buses, long lines for concessions and bathrooms, and let's face it, the ease of turning off the game and doing something else if/when the game gets out of hand is a bigger challenge to marketers than anything else going on in the Twin Cities on an autumn Saturday afternoon...

I think another issue that U marketers have to battle is the fact that every Saturday I can watch the game in the comfort of my own home in HD on BTN or ESPN. Not having to deal with parking fees, shuttle buses, long lines for concessions and bathrooms, and let's face it, the ease of turning off the game and doing something else if/when the game gets out of hand is a bigger challenge to marketers than anything else going on in the Twin Cities on an autumn Saturday afternoon...

The NFL has seen the same challenge. That is the main reason they went to the 90% rule for blackouts.

I haven't heard this one before, what happens on the buses?

The couple times that I've gone to the games since beer was allowed, the rides back have been filled with loud, obnoxious fans who are clearly inebriated spewing out swear words for all ears to hear. Don't make any mistake, I'm not a saint by any means when it comes to dropping an effenheimer...but this was extremely excessive. I just noticed quite a change from before beer sales at TCF where the ride was often raucous, but under control.

Top Bottom