MN Daily: Gophers prepare for Huskers fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Though the University wants to see more fans in the seats this time, its associate athletics director for strategic communications, Chris Werle, said there’s little the athletics department can do to restrict the number of Nebraska fans at the game.

“We can’t stop them,” he said. “We have to rely on our fans to buy up the tickets.”

Gophers football players said they’re ready, and they hope Minnesota fans are, too.

“We know that Nebraska has a great fan base, and they’re probably going to be over here,” sophomore quarterback Philip Nelson said. “We need to be able to counter that with our fans.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2013/10/24/gophers-prepare-huskers-fans

Go Gophers!!

What they can do is make sure that security is actively comparing pictures on student ID cards to faces. We can't stop Nebraska fans who want to travel up here and by regular tickets (honsetly, I have a lot of respect for fans who do that and are not from North Dakota, Wisconsin, or Iowa). We can't stop students who refuse to support their school and show up with legitimate student tickets wearing Nebraska gear (undergrads who show up with other school's gear are the lowest form of life on this planet, I'll give a pass to grad students who do it so long as the opponent is their actual alma mater, and they aren't a Marquette grad showing up in Wisconsin gear). However, we can stop the people who borrow a buddy's student ID card and give it to their cousin/other buddy coming up from Nebraska. I just hope the athletics department has the spine to give the order on that sort of close scrutiny on student ID cards.

My experience- NE fans are the worst in the Big Ten. they are hillbillies from a land with no hills.

Winning will cure the ills of visiting fans. I believe each visiting team is allotted 3,000 tickets. Hopefully some day that amount is all that is available to the likes of Iowa , Becky, and Nebraska.

My experience- NE fans are the worst in the Big Ten. they are hillbillies from a land with no hills.

I have had exactly the opposite experience with Neb. fans. In 2011, when they visited, they were probably the best group of visting fans that we had sitting near us. Asking questions about our team and school, engaging us in some good conversation, enjoy the overall gameday experience. Probably because they knew a 'W' was a forgone conclusion. But, still, pretty respectable group of fans. IMO.

I have had exactly the opposite experience with Neb. fans. In 2011, when they visited, they were probably the best group of visting fans that we had sitting near us. Asking questions about our team and school, engaging us in some good conversation, enjoy the overall gameday experience. Probably because they knew a 'W' was a forgone conclusion. But, still, pretty respectable group of fans. IMO.

I'm sure that's the case, but if Husker fans even considered it a REMOTE possibility that the Gophers could win, I think the attitude would be slightly different. I'm sure Gophers fans were plenty friendly to UNLV fans, for example, if you know what I mean. I'll bet in the 80's and 90's, Oklahoma fans would NOT tell you that Husker fans are so courteous and respectful.

If the Gophers beat Nebraska once or twice in the next few years, I'd be surprised if their tune didn't change. Bottom line, Husker fan considers the Gophers NO threat to them at all.

I'm sure that's the case, but if Husker fans even considered it a REMOTE possibility that the Gophers could win, I think the attitude would be slightly different. I'm sure Gophers fans were plenty friendly to UNLV fans, for example, if you know what I mean. I'll bet in the 80's and 90's, Oklahoma fans would NOT tell you that Husker fans are so courteous and respectful.

If the Gophers beat Nebraska once or twice in the next few years, I'd be surprised if their tune didn't change. Bottom line, Husker fan considers the Gophers NO threat to them at all.

Really, comparing how NE fans are in MN to how they would be against their most hated rival. Shocking that their might be a difference.

Having lived in Lincoln for 5 years in the 90's and attended several home and away games with my friends, we never encountered any issues.

+1

Hey, don't get me wrong, I would totally be fine with that. Especially if that 'W' came this year! That is certainly what I am hoping for, anyways!

I agree that it is easy to be a good road game fan when you know you are going to win. But Ohio State and Michigan know they are going to beat us yet they are still far more annoying than Nebraska fans who also know the W is guaranteed.

Really, comparing how NE fans are in MN to how they would be against their most hated rival. Shocking that their might be a difference.

Having lived in Lincoln for 5 years in the 90's and attended several home and away games with my friends, we never encountered any issues.

Funny thing is Nebraska and Oklahoma are like best friends. Probably wasnt like that in the 70s & 80s but it was never a hateful rivalry. OU celebrated the 1971 game of the century a couple years back and invited Nebraska players from that team to Norman. This was for a classic game they lost. They also were the first Big 12 school to schedule a home-home with Nebraska after the left the Big 12.

Judging by all of the empty seats for the San Jose ST game there will be a ton of RED

Invading TCF on Saturday. There were even Nebraska fans who never left the tailgate lots that Saturday
and stayed out there and tailgated with there Nebraska tents. This wasn't just a few groups either there were a few large ones that must already live in town.
Estimating by the empty seats against SJSU and the fact that this was the pick your pack 2 paired game with that game, I would be willing to bet that there will be 20,000 to 25,000 Nebraska fans at this game (They will push 30,000, 10,000 of it local people if they get a bunch of people in the student section or the Empty seats over there). This is the only group that seems to get there hands on more tickets than Iowa or Wisconsin.

That said the 30,000 Gophers fans that show up Saturday, we cannot let them take over the place, like 2011 we were pretty nice and having a down year. I'm not saying go out of your way to be rude, or to yell at people, but the Gophers fans that come to the game have to be prepared to make some noise, and cheer on our team. We cannot just take a back seat and let them shout us down, or silence us.
We cannot lay out the carpet and let them have the lay of the land, were going to have to be loud for our team on defense and
try to match there intensity level. Gophers have a shot to win, we are not completely out of it like 2011 before the game starts.
The Gophs will have to play an exceptional game and be able to sustain drives running the football. This is definately a wear the gold kind of game, or maybe maroon if you want there red to blend in.

Maybe in some cases but I think their tone would continue. IMO, Husker fans are a genuine, cordial and engaging bunch and overall respect most of their opponents, win or lose except Iowa and Colorado.

Mrs Bayfield and I plan on returning the same type of hospitality we received last Fall in Lincoln.

I dont believe there will be 20-30k NE fans there, I call b.s. on that one.

I'm hosting a group of Husker fans at my tailgate this week (mainly because they are family) and besides the few tickets I gave to my cousins and aunt (3 in total) I'm not sure how many of the others will be actually going to the game. I have party with them on Friday and will know more by then, seeing as it's family I expect a few jabs here and there but for once I don't have to prepare any food or beer since they are providing it for me. My uncle, who got me into college football and is a Husker, said he expects about 15 people or so to join us.

They probably outnumbered us a few years ago and with how much they pay for tickets bet they are 40% or 20,000 red on Saturday.

I dont believe there will be 20-30k NE fans there, I call b.s. on that one.

per the Daily:

Though the University wants to see more fans in the seats this time, its associate athletics director for strategic communications, Chris Werle, said there’s little the athletics department can do to restrict the number of Nebraska fans at the game.

You would think Minnesota could have at least prevented Nebraska from renting out Minnesota's McNamara Alumni Center Gateway Plaza for a dedicated Nebraska tailgate party (http://www.blurparties.com/minnesota). Apparently there is very little Minnesota can do. It's not quite as bad as Iowa fans tearing down Minnesota's own goalposts, but it's close.

You would think Minnesota could have at least prevented Nebraska from renting out Minnesota's McNamara Alumni Center Gateway Plaza for a dedicated Nebraska tailgate party (http://www.blurparties.com/minnesota). Apparently there is very little Minnesota can do. It's not quite as bad as Iowa fans tearing down Minnesota's own goalposts, but it's close.

The University doesn't own the McNamara Alumni Center. Nice try, though.

I just thought it was a little ironic that Minnesota's own Alumni Center in the middle of its campus would be used for a visiting team's tailgate party. That's all.

I just thought it was a little ironic that Minnesota's own Alumni Center in the middle of its campus would be used for a visiting team's tailgate party. That's all.

No, you were trying to blame the University for allowing Nebraska to use one of its own buildings for a tailgating event. The problem with your criticism is that the University doesn't own the building. So, though you were being sarcastic, the University, in actuality, has zero control over the use of the Alumni Center.

If by "a few" you mean "two", they absolutely did not even come close.

I'll make it easy for you. Few means not many but more than one. Minnesota hosted Nebraska two years ago for the first time since 1989. I think he meant two years ago.

That does suck. It shouldn't happen. The Alumni Association should be ashamed.

For Husker fans, Minneapolis is probably one of the best road trips they get to make. A beautiful city within a 6 hour drive with great restaurants, hotels, lakes, and a nice stadium. I can't blame them for wanting to be here.

I'm sure we will be nice, and I hope they enjoy everything except the game.

For Husker fans, Minneapolis is probably one of the best road trips they get to make. A beautiful city within a 6 hour drive with great restaurants, hotels, lakes, and a nice stadium. I can't blame them for wanting to be here.

I'm sure we will be nice, and I hope they enjoy everything except the game.

+1.

I think a lot of people on this forum are forgetting how many of us in Minnesota have Nebraska roots. Much of the red Nebraska crowd will be MSP residents, with visiting family. We're your neighbors.

This is why I predict there will be so many Nebraska fans at the game.

I think a lot of people on this forum are forgetting how many of us in Minnesota have Nebraska roots. Much of the red Nebraska crowd will be MSP residents, with visiting family. We're your neighbors.

I fully expect them to get 20,000 in the door because they have so many alumns, and residents with Nebraska roots in Minnesota. Even when I was undergrad a lot of the Nebraska kids would wear there gear just like the Wisconsin kids do.

Were not going to see 20 to 30,000 actually Nebraskans at the game, I think it will be about 10,000 that travel up here for the game and about 10,000 that are locals,
MSP residents that live in the Twins cities or residents close enough in the State to make the drive. They have multiple bars in town that serve there alumni and fan base and draw a lot of fans. You do not rent out the Mcnamara Alumni center courtyard for a tailgate unless your expecting a large crowd. They had people tailgating for the SJSU game that never even bothered to go to TCF for the game. 2011 they absolutley packed TCF with RED it was almost embarrassing on the home sideline how many season ticket holders sold there tickets.
With the pick your pack tickets a lot cheaper than buying the single game tickets that was partially to blame for a lot of empty seats at the SJSU game. All you had to do was look around as a season ticket holder, there were a lot of empties, and there were not that many empty's on the home sideline lower deck and upper deck because Minnesota fans stayed home,
these were that many empty seats because the Nebraska fans that bought the pick your pack chose to simply not go to the game. I am fully prepared to go to this game and see just as many Nebraska fans, they might not outnumber us but they will try and take over the place. This is where Gopher fans come in, we cannot let them take over.

I'll bet in the 80's and 90's, Oklahoma fans would NOT tell you that Husker fans are so courteous and respectful.

Well, Barry Switzer (Oklahoma's coach those days) disagrees:

"I want to congratulate the loyal Cornhusker fans... the greatest fans in football history. I've often publicly stated on many occasions that I hope our fans treat the Nebraska fans as well as they've treated us over the years."

Just to help the case, here's a few comments from UCLA fans from earlier this season. You'll remember UCLA took us behind the woodshed:

"I know that football is very dear to your heart and you support your program whole-heartedly. I just want to say from the Bruin Nation how impressed I was with your program and your class. It was incredible loss of life that the UCLA Bruins experienced last week, and I am forever grateful and humbled by your generous gestures to honor Nick Pasquale both on your helmets and with the balloon release at your stadium. Thank you so much for this special remembrance at your home stadium. You give the true meaning of sport to your program. I will forever regard the Husker Nation as a class act and a hard-nose football program that makes the right choices and stands for the right things. Thank you again, Brooke Sachs, UCLA Alum"

"I would like to pass on to all your students and alumni that this was truly a class act which lately hasn’t been seen in college sports for a while. Your program truly shows what a top-notch, classy and outstanding program you have. Sports is an important part to many people’s life, but this shows it is more than sports. I write this with the intent it gets passed on to your readers. William Jones, California"

"Thank you so much for the actions of your student body, your players, and your athletic department. The compassion that you displayed to UCLA was very much appreciated. What was shown on TV was very moving and really showed the class of Husker Nation. Thanks for all that you did and for being such gracious hosts. Here’s hoping that Husker football goes undefeated the rest of the way. I am still very touched by the actions of the NU Athletic Department. Ernest Hui, UCLA Class of 1998, Mountain View, California"

I'm absolutely convinced we could have a great but fun rivalry with Nebraska unlike the one we have with the Hatfields and McCoys to our south and east. Treat the Huskers fans well but let's beat them at the same time.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

We can't stop students who refuse to support their school and show up with legitimate student tickets wearing Nebraska gear (undergrads who show up with other school's gear are the lowest form of life on this planet, I'll give a pass to grad students who do it so long as the opponent is their actual alma mater, and they aren't a Marquette grad showing up in Wisconsin gear).

Really? So a kid from Omaha who grew up a Husker fan from the time they were in diapers, but chose to get their education at Minnesota should somehow automatically change their loyalty? Seriously? That's not going to happen.

I grew up a Gopher fan, and will always be a Gopher fan. I attended a state school here in MN because of a scholarship offer I could not refuse, but I did seriously consider attending North Dakota. Do you think that had I gone to UND, I would not still have been a Gopher Hockey fan? That I would have somehow become a Sioux fan? Hell no. Fandom isn't just where you went to school - it's often ingrained at a far younger age than that.

Top Bottom