MN Daily: Gophers get chunk of parking revenue for first time

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Former athletics director Joel Maturi said this is the first time Gophers athletics has received parking revenue.

Maturi had argued for parking revenue to go to athletics for nearly a decade, but he said the argument didn’t gain traction until TCF Bank Stadium brought football back to campus.

PTS provided $13 million for the new stadium, and Maturi said it was even harder to argue for a share of the revenue in the stadium’s first years of operation.

“I’ve never been a yeller or screamer about it,” Maturi said. “I was very thankful for their contribution.”

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/10/31/gophers-get-chunk-parking-revenue

Go Gophers!!

I'll go ahead and get this started.

Wow, parking revenue coming into the athletic department??? This will surely help us buy-out of any decent non-conference game for years to come!

Former athletics director Joel Maturi said this is the first time Gophers athletics has received parking revenue.

Maturi had argued for parking revenue to go to athletics for nearly a decade, but he said the argument didn’t gain traction until TCF Bank Stadium brought football back to campus.

PTS provided $13 million for the new stadium, and Maturi said it was even harder to argue for a share of the revenue in the stadium’s first years of operation.

“I’ve never been a yeller or screamer about it,” Maturi said. “I was very thankful for their contribution.”

http://www.mndaily.com/2012/10/31/gophers-get-chunk-parking-revenue

Go Gophers!!

This should have been done from the get go. Absolutely dumb the athletics dept didn't get revenue from athletics events. [Insert Maturi rage here]

I was under the impression that the revenue the U gave to the athletic department was a return of parking revenue that PTS earned that they would not have earned without athletic event parking revenue.

I'll go ahead and get this started.

Wow, parking revenue coming into the athletic department??? This will surely help us buy-out of any decent non-conference game for years to come!

Haha. Excellent point.

It's about damn time! PTS is one of the most "disagreed" with Department over there. Talk about a "fiefdom". Good to see that at least some of that wall is coming down. Read the below section and you can understand the frustration PTS causes over there. Bringing an A.D. and far more importantly a President from the outside the U may be the best thing to happen over there in years.

Prior to the inaugural 2009 season, PTS and athletics came to an agreement to sell parking passes for football that are designated for specific lots. In addition to not receiving parking revenue, athletics had to pay for processing and selling these passes.

Maturi said his department was also in charge of lot maintenance for football games.

“All the [football] setup, cleanup, we were paying, and we weren’t getting the revenue,” Maturi said. “That didn’t make a lot of sense to me.”

" In addition to not receiving parking revenue, athletics had to pay for processing and selling these passes."

You have to be kidding me.

" In addition to not receiving parking revenue, athletics had to pay for processing and selling these passes."

Anybody who went to school there should not be surprised.

Anybody who went to school there should not be surprised.

Bob Baker is a living, breathing example of the "Peter Principle". He started in a Parking Lot booth and now he runs things. Good for him moving up the ladder. VERY bad for the U letting him get to the top.:banghead:

Bob Baker is a living, breathing example of the "Peter Principle". He started in a Parking Lot booth and now he runs things. Good for him moving up the ladder. VERY bad for the U letting him get to the top.:banghead:

It happens in a lot of vocations. I know a guy who started out as a baker's assistant and ended up raking in the dough.

It happens in a lot of vocations. I know a guy who started out as a baker's assistant and ended up raking in the dough.

"Hi Yo! Good Night everybody; tip your waiter and drive safely. I'll be here all week!" :cool:

Top Bottom