MN Daily: Freshman Oturu looks to play big role for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Oturu is part of a freshman class that features three highly-ranked recruits from Minnesota. Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Omersa played AAU ball together for Howard Pulley. They all felt a sense of pride staying in-state to play college basketball for the Gophers.

"We all came here because we wanted to wear this across our chest," Oturu said, pointing to the word "Minnesota" on his jersey. "Even though we had a tough season last year. That's another factor that played into our decision, just trying to show Gopher fans that we're here to help and try to make our program keep moving forward."

Part of Minnesota's struggles last season were due to a lack of depth in the front court. After Reggie Lynch was dismissed from the team in January, Jordan Murphy had little help from the team's other forwards. Murphy is now a senior, and with Oturu on the team, Murphy feels he has another contributor.

"I definitely see some similarities between him and [Lynch] as far as shot-blocking goes," Murphy said of Oturu. "Just the way that they time things and are able to sniff out blocks is kind of similar. Offensively, I think he's a really talented kid. He has a lot of moves and [is] obviously very skilled."

In Oturu's first start against Nebraska-Omaha on Tuesday, he made five of seven field goals, finishing with 14 points. He added eight rebounds, five of which were offensive. Kalscheur started and Omersa played 15 minutes off the bench, each contributing eight points to the Gophers' 104-76 victory.

"I don't think you can take those three guys lightly," Pitino said. "They chose this school all for similar reasons. They just wanted to play for the name of the front of the jersey. They're really good ambassadors in recruiting. So, those three guys have been terrific so far."

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/11/s-freshman-oturu-looks-to-play-big-role-for-gophers

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom