MN Daily Column: Williams made smart decision in declaring for draft

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Scouts across the NFL will drool over Williams’ stats, superb athleticism and uncanny ability to catch the football.

CBS Sports currently ranks Williams as the best tight end in the draft, and a recent Sports Illustrated mock draft predicted he would go 16th overall to the Houston Texans.

Williams leaves the Gophers with nothing left to prove and everything to lose if he had stayed one more year.

He took the safe bet and will be rewarded with plenty of cash because of it.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/footb...-williams-made-smart-decision-declaring-draft

Go Gophers!!

I agree. I don't want to make it sound like it's all about the Benjamins, but he's healthy and sought after by the pros. Good luck to him. Talk about a guy who somewhat came out of nowhere and through hard work developed into an excellent football player.

For as good as he was I never really believed he had the ability to go in the first round after this year. Clearly the NFL people think otherwise so it is absolutely the right decision for him to come out now even though selfishly we all wanted to see him back in Maroon and Gold next year.

Williams will make NFL cash, but he'll probably regret this decision the rest of his life. College is a once in a lifetime experience, and he was only 3 years in. The NFL is a stale experience compared to college...

Williams will make NFL cash, but he'll probably regret this decision the rest of his life. College is a once in a lifetime experience, and he was only 3 years in. The NFL is a stale experience compared to college...

And is this your opinion, or fact?

I don't know man...I had fun in college but if I could trade it to be picked in the first round of the NFL, make millions of dollars to play a game, see dozens of U.S. cities, work with and meet countless people and likely retire by the time I was in my mid 30's I'd take it.

Maxx will always be able to come back and finish his degree. He made a fine decision to go to the league.

When the average playing career for players that make an opening-day roster their rookie season is six years, and it's a physical profession where one physical injury could end it, get paid while you can. If he's smart with his money and plays an average number of seasons, he and his future family could feasibly live off his earnings from his late-20s onward.

"He'll regret his decision. You only get college once! It's the best time of your life."
-Every 35-45 year old Male that was not a potential professional athlete

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Maxx also a pretty smart student? He'll probably do well even after his NFL career is over.

If Marcus Mariota and Melvin Gordon can return for their redshirt junior seasons, is it really so preposterous to think that's a viable option for Maxx?

If Marcus Mariota and Melvin Gordon can return for their redshirt junior seasons, is it really so preposterous to think that's a viable option for Maxx?

Melvin & Marcus were Heisman candidates.

And it's a very weak TE class this year.

All of us regret having to leave college and work a real job, so what is your point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Maxx has peaked his draft status. No matter how well he does in any remaining years of college a TE will not get pick earlier than the middle of the first round. MM and MG were able to raise their draft status by returning. Very simple.

Just in case you did not read the entire piece in the Daily - the Writer said that Maxx made the right decision because the Gopher offense "could be downright disastrous in 2015." he said the loss of Williams and D. Jones as receivers, and the loss of Cobb and Kirkwood at RB will be difficult to replace. And this was his comment on Leidner: "But it might not matter who’s catching the ball for Minnesota with Mitch Leidner being the one throwing it. Though the redshirt sophomore certainly is a nice option running the football, his skills as a passer can be described as “underdeveloped.”

So, you have a writer for the MN Daily basically saying that the Gophers will stink on offense next year, and that's why Maxx left early. At least you can't accuse him of being a homer.........

Just in case you did not read the entire piece in the Daily - the Writer said that Maxx made the right decision because the Gopher offense "could be downright disastrous in 2015." he said the loss of Williams and D. Jones as receivers, and the loss of Cobb and Kirkwood at RB will be difficult to replace. And this was his comment on Leidner: "But it might not matter who’s catching the ball for Minnesota with Mitch Leidner being the one throwing it. Though the redshirt sophomore certainly is a nice option running the football, his skills as a passer can be described as “underdeveloped.”

So, you have a writer for the MN Daily basically saying that the Gophers will stink on offense next year, and that's why Maxx left early. At least you can't accuse him of being a homer.........

The writer is a freshman in college. He'd be really well advised to keep his opinions to a minimum and just quote people who know something.

Yes, Maxx has peaked his draft status. No matter how well he does in any remaining years of college a TE will not get pick earlier than the middle of the first round. MM and MG were able to raise their draft status by returning. Very simple.

If I remember correctly, Mariota was predicted to be drafted in the top 5 last year, so I'm not sure it helped his stock much by coming back.

All of us regret having to leave college and work a real job, so what is your point?

My point is that there are a handful of players each year who are redshirt soph's that are potential 1st round picks that return to school. It's not a "no-brainer" decision, and in a few years after experiencing the business-like approach of the NFL, Maxx may wish he stayed an extra year. Hopefully someone asks him the question 5 years from now...

I agree. I don't want to make it sound like it's all about the Benjamins, but he's healthy and sought after by the pros. Good luck to him. Talk about a guy who somewhat came out of nowhere and through hard work developed into an excellent football player.

I SERIOUSLY doubt it.

What's missed is being foot lose and fancy free....not having bills up the butt and a ton of responsibilities, no more college girls, hanging with your boys.

Life as a NFL player is college on steroids (no pun intended), he will have all of that and then some.

If Mariota and Gordon, who got hit a lot more and had a greater risk of injury, could return for the junior year, so could Maxx. He would have helped his teammates and school, picked up another year toward his degree, and become an even better football player.

If Mariota and Gordon, who got hit a lot more and had a greater risk of injury, could return for the junior year, so could Maxx. He would have helped his teammates and school, picked up another year toward his degree, and become an even better football player.

And if he got hurt would you expect his team mates to give him some money? Mariota and Gordon? You are assuming they made the right decision. Maybe they did for them. Its awful naive to expect someone to risk generational money for school or team mates and let's be honest......you. Maxx doesn't owe anyone anything but gratitude for giving him the opportunity to wear maroon and gold.

There are benefits to him staying or going, it wouldn't have been a bad decision either way. But it is his decision to make, and he's the only one whose judgment matters. That we might want him here doesn't affect whether it was a good decision or not.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Yes, it is a viable option for Maxx. But let's him decide what HE wants instead of dwelling on what WE want.

Good luck, Maxx.

Everyone has their reasons for leaving school and entering the draft... Maxx's reasons are probably 1) He wouldn't be able to raise his draft stock anymore than he is now. 2) Weaker TE class, and he is projected as the top TE 3) Doesn't have faith in the Gopher's offense 4) $$ MILLIONS 5) School is easy and he can finish when he wants to 6) Fear of a bad injury and losing out on draft position / money 7) His pet anaconda told him to 8) his horoscope said to 9) it's his life 10) A bunch more reasons

Everyone has their reasons for leaving school and entering the draft... Maxx's reasons are probably 1) He wouldn't be able to raise his draft stock anymore than he is now. 2) Weaker TE class, and he is projected as the top TE 3) Doesn't have faith in the Gopher's offense 4) $$ MILLIONS 5) School is easy and he can finish when he wants to 6) Fear of a bad injury and losing out on draft position / money 7) His pet anaconda told him to 8) his horoscope said to 9) it's his life 10) A bunch more reasons

You also can only take so many shots to the head/concussions before you need to step away, so he might as well get paid to take them.

Top Bottom